Doctor Who News 11thdr-tests

Published on August 27th, 2013 | by Danny_Weasel

How The Eleventh Doctor Might Have Looked…

With the announcement of a new Doctor, you can always count on one question being asked almost instantly. What will he be wearing? And while its always a thrill to see the finished look for the first time, sometimes you cant help wondering what other choices were declined before a look was settled upon.

How the Eleventh Doctor might have looked...

Well wonder no more as fellow Whovian and blogger extraordinaire THE LAST ALCHEMIST has a fantastic photoset (he’s keep mum on the source, though!) offering a glimpse of Matt Smith going through a variety of wardrobe options before deciding that bow ties are indeed cool.

11thdr-tests

The looks seem to range from the Sherlockian to the high street chic (stopping at 1980s L.A. rock band on the way…) and are likely to cause just as many pub disputes as the actual casting of the Time Lord usually does.

So what are your thoughts on these outfits, did Matt make the right choice or would you rather have seen something altogether different?.

Tags: , , ,

17 Responses to How The Eleventh Doctor Might Have Looked…

1. avatar TonyS says:

Definitely the right choice. Less keen on what he changed into though.

2. avatar Beth says:

Love the top one.

3. avatar Daisy says:

I liked the first one but it’s a bit too tenth doctor for me.

4. Clearly the Top photo was later used for Sherlock’s Benedict Cumberbatch ensemble! Well played, Moffat.. Well played!

5. That first dark suit would look good on Capaldi though.

6. I believe Matt wore a bow tie to his audition, at least I heard him say that, or it was said about him in an interview.

7. avatar Turtle Reed says:

i like the first one with the coat turned up i like that one

8. avatar GallifreyanFallenAngel says:

I like the first and fourth ones. The others, excluding the costume we all know and love, make him look like a teenager.

• avatar TonyS says:

How many photos can you see, GallifreyFallenAngel? I can only see three.

• avatar TonyS says:

My mistake. Should have clicked on the link.

9. avatar TimeChaser says:

The first one obviously went to Mr. Cumberbatch for Sherlock, but it’s still a good choice though, much better than the bottom left (cannot unsee, cannot unsee… *shudders*).

But I’ve always loved the tweed and bow tie and think it fits Matt’s Doctor perfectly: an old soul in a young body. I loved how he thought so many things were ‘cool’ that only our grandparents probably would have thought were cool, it was like the Doctor going through second childhood or midlife crisis, trying to act younger than he was and getting it wrong. Except we all know he got it right, because it was most definitely cool.

10. avatar Geoff says:

The first one is nice but it’s just straight out of the window of Hugo Boss. No 2 looks like something Andy Taylor wore in the video of The Reflex, and Matt looks miserable. No 3 is iconic and spot on but I do think it’s become a bit too costumey lately in the same way Peter Davisons outfit was.

11. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

I remember the Moff referring in DWM to a more piratical look being tried out ….the reference intrigued me.

He was right to ditch it – it’s wrong wrong wrong. It looks like something a Poundland pirate toy would wear.

Coat in pic 1 is very similar to his cowboy hat and duster coat combo of series 6. But it’s very ‘cataloguey’. He looks like an Auton that’s just come to life.

I prefer Matt’s classic look rather than the purple frock coat he has now, though he looked quite good with rumpled top hat in The Snowmen.

In five years’ time can we expect to see Peter Capaldi trying out a gorilla costume in equivalent pics?

12. avatar Ranger says:

I like 1 & 4, though I think 4 is best as it gives him a modern look combined with a retro “Doctor” feel. I was never a fan of the tweed jacket and bow-tie combo. He always looked like he was a child dressing up in his grandfather’s outfits.

• avatar DonnaM says:

Spot on about the child in his granddad’s clothes! I’m rather hoping there’s a line to that effect in the next regeneration scene.

13. Well, a couple of those are completely terrible! The first one is nice, but doesn’t sit well with what we now know as Matt’s Doctor. I think they made the right choice.

14. avatar brian mattocks says:

I have to say the first looks better, only pertwee got away with a bow tie.