Doctor Who News dw-s7-hiderhouse-leak

Published on August 18th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Hide’s Neil Cross Back for Doctor Who Series 8?

Names have been thin on the ground for Doctor Who Series 8, but while Chris Chibnall may be too busy with Broadchurch’s second series, one name up for the challenge is Neil Cross, whose Rings of Akhaten and Hide split viewers in Series 7.

dw-s7-hiderhouse-leak

Chatting with Stuff.co.nz, the Auckland-based writer revealed that he is preparing for more involvement with the show, Peter Capaldi’s first series as the Doctor.

I have got story ideas tucked away, but if I told you about them I would have to kill you. There’s a whole bunch of stuff I want to do. Steven is clearly very busy with the 50th anniversary special and Christmas special, but I have to find out from Steven what his intentions for the Doctor are and what sort of stories he wants me to write.

Although a fan of Matt Smith’s Doctor and sad not to be writing for him again, the Luther creator observed about Capaldi:

There’s something about his physicality, his image, his wit, that evokes the Doctor. There’s something about him that evokes classic Doctor Who.

He’s right, isn’t he? Would you like to see Cross back on Doctor Who? What would you prefer, more stories like The Rings of Akhaten or closer in tone to Hide?

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to Hide’s Neil Cross Back for Doctor Who Series 8?

1. Hunka says:

Let’s hope it’s more Hide than Rings!

2. Lozzer says:

Hide was a corker, Rings was erm… corked.

3. Al says:

I liked Hide. Hopefully he’ll bring back Jessica Raine’s character too.

4. rickjlundeen says:

Chemistry’s a weird thing with this show regarding writers. Chibnall wrote one ep ages ago that I really disliked–name escapes me— but then I thought dinosaurs on a spaceship was one of the perfect, fun vehicles ever for Smith. Meanwhile, I liked Gaiman’s Doctor’s Wife and thought Nightmare in silver was horrible. Seems like a lot of factors come into play but there’s very little quality consistency from script to script. Maybe Cross just has to get into the swing of things more or maybe Capaldi’s Doctor will suit him better.

5. This was doing the rounds on Twitter yesterday. IF it’s genuine Neil Cross is indeed back, as is Neil Gaiman. And maybe Roger Moore will take Mark Gatiss up on his offer! ;) https://twitter.com/amypond4ever/status/368820675328221184/photo/1

• Neu 75 says:

Where does that come from and why is it in Portuguese?

6. vortexter says:

Robert Holmes first two scripts were dull plodders (Krotons/Space Pirates) but look at the classics he turned out later. So yes he deserves to write again.

7. Howard Railton says:

I must be the only one who likes Rings.

8. rickjlundeen says:

Although to be fair, Space Pirates and Krotons were the earliest entries for Holmes and even there, they were better than Rings and on par with Hide. Once he got into the swing of things, Holmes never stopped writing some of the best Who ever for the 3rd, 4th, 5th and some might argue 6th Doctors. It’d be great if someone—anyone–takes that same path! If it’s Cross, so be it.

9. anonymous says:

I don’t care how it is as long as its not remotely like “Rings”.

10. TonyS says:

I agree that Rings is much weaker than hide. I agree that Rings corked, as Lozzer put it. But even Rings has some things going for it and could probably have been fixed in script-editing. Neil Cross delivered one excellent script and one “could do better” this year. Out of two possible returning writers, I know which one I would like to see writing for the show again.