Doctor Who News Matt Smith, David Tennant and John Hurt in the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special

Published on August 28th, 2013 | by Drew Boynton

Here They Are: The Three Doctors, 2013 Style!

Ahhh, a person can almost hear the voices emanating from the faint image:

John Hurt-as-The-Doctor: “What I did, I did without…”
Tenth Doctor: (under breath) “Oh dear, here we go again.”
Eleventh Doctor: (straightening bow-tie) “It’s his thing. I think he’s very cool.”
John Hurt-as-The Doctor: …peace and sanity–and for a time, as a big dragon on Merlin!”

But seriously, a lucky (lucky for the rest of us!) and quite sneaky fan reportedly got this quick snap of a scene from the 50th Special as it was shown at the MediaGuardian Edinburgh International Television Festival a few days ago. It shows Matt Smith, David Tennant, and John Hurt all standing in some kind of brightly-lit control room.

True, it’s a bit blurry but it is apparently real–as can be seen on the Tennantnews.blogspot.co.uk–and is the first image of the three Doctors together. The photographic evidence of a legend–three legends!
And as stated by Tennantnews, editor Boyd Hilton of Heat Magazine tweeted the ACTUAL dialogue that is said to go along with the scene:

Now, I truly want this photo to be real. I really do. But after being burned by that fake 50th special trailer online, my mind just can’t fully commit. I keep getting that creepy “digitally inserted Tennant” vibe.

What do you think Kasterborites? Are you happy just to take it at face value as amazing evidence of the three Doctors together again for the first time…or can you not quite shake the feeling of it being like one of those old grainy “confirmations” of the Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot?

(Via On Screen Images Of The Three Doctors In The 50th Anniversary Special.
TennantNews)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Drew has been a fan of Doctor Who ever since he flipped through the channels late one night and saw a girl blowing up an army of funny robot men with nothing but a slingshot and some old coins. He currently lives somewhere in the woods of Missouri with his beautiful wife Barbara.

23 Responses to Here They Are: The Three Doctors, 2013 Style!

1. avatar vortexter says:

There’s a Fourth figure wearing a tweed jacket next to hurt. I wonder who that is? Looks like the jacket the Brig wears in Mawdryn Undead.

• avatar authorman94 says:

It’s David Tennant, look carefully and it’s his brown suit he’s wearing in the special. More than likely the screenshot was caught as one scene was moving to the next and the transition was caught on camera (something I noticed when I was a boy and took photos of what was on my television set, I was more tan likely stupid back then).

• avatar vortexter says:

Well spotted! That proves its a real clip then and not a photoshop fake I suppose.

2. avatar hey nonny nonny says:

“digitally inserted Tennant” was my EXACT first thought. I think it’s fake.

• avatar Lewis says:

If you look next to John Hurt, you can see David’s pinstripe suit, which probably means it’s a scene transition caught on camera.

3. Paul McGann’s 8th Doctor should be in this picture too.

• avatar William Schmetterling says:

Remember Jenna’s surprise debut. If McGann appears, that’s likely to be ultra-top-secret. He’s being very cryptic and dismissive on his Twitter ident.

• avatar Francis Cave says:

Cryptic?

He’s said that he’s not doing it, not even been asked.

When someome said they had placed a bet on him appearing on the 50th he replied that they would lose their money.

Am I missing something?

• avatar Mike Robbins says:

Rule 1, the doctor always lies. Especially about being part human…on his mother’s side…

4. avatar Tongmaster5 says:

About TIME for a trailer to be released to the viewers and not just Moffat’s future employers.

• avatar David F says:

Is it really about time? I doubt that any TV show, ever, has had its trailer shown three months before broadcast. It’s far too early for that.

A trailer won’t bring forward the show’s broadcast date. All it would do is dent the air of mystery. Our complete lack of information about the story and its style (beyond what was obvious from the location filming) is making me look forward to it in a way that a trailer could only puncture.

5. avatar TimeChaser says:

Its upsetting that those privileged few at certain conventions and special events get to see a trailer for the 50th, yet the rest of us are still left out in the cold. Release it to the general public already.

6. avatar Lozzer says:

Is it just me who’s not bothered about the trailer just yet… Happy to let the excitment build up a notch or two. The 50th will be amazing.

• avatar Maria says:

I’m not bothered. I just want to see the 50th not the trailer. :)

7. avatar Lee Adams says:

its funny how the out of focus man to hurts right, looks very uncannily like the outline of the guy on the Kasterborous issue 1 magazine, the same face proportions and glasses ….hmmmm

• I wish it was me. Because if it was then it would mean that I was lucky enough to have seen the 50th trailer. Sadly, I wait with the rest of the world.

8. No, it’s still too early to properly release a trailer, those asking for it. It’s still not on for months! You don’t put it out to the general public this early, just bloomin’ well wait.
    And yes, this looks legit.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

And yet some people have already been able to see it, months early. If they’re willing to show it to convention attendees, then why not the rest of us? It wouldn’t be the first time they released a trailer ahead of a special/new season to build up anticipation.

• A small amount of people at a convention, not the wider public. It’s different. Surely we can all wait? We’ll see trailers, and the episode itself, soon enough.

9. avatar Spider-pope says:

Assuming it’s real, i’d hate to be the villain on the receiving end of both a 10 Glare and an 11 Moody Sulk at the same time.

10. avatar Patrick D says:

@Lee Adams, you are right. thats totally him. i still think this is real. He is taking a selfie but has edited his actual self out of the picture. what you see is the reflected image of him from the side.

• It’s not me, nor is it my reflection. I have not been to California for SDCC or Scotland for the trailers. Completely wish I had been, but it’s not me. Personally I think it is Tennant and person who took the pic snapped it right as it was changing scenes. Forget the glasses, you have to remember it’s a trailer and not an episode so continuity doesn’t matter as the show scenes out of order anyway fro trailers.

• I can verify that Brian hasn’t been in Edinburgh recently. Not since 2010, in fact, when I personally drove him there.