Doctor Who News Jenna-Louise Coleman as Clara in Doctor Who Series 7b

Published on August 11th, 2013 | by Alex Skerratt

Coleman Confirms Series 8 Filming to Begin in January

Jenna Coleman has confirmed that the eighth season of Doctor Who will start filming in January of next year. Speaking to Zap 2 It, Coleman explained:

Jenna-Louise Coleman in the Doctor Who 2012 Christmas Special

It still feels very much like I’m at the beginning, but what’s quite nice is I’m working on [Death Comes to Pemberley] at the moment. I sort of have a break and then I have another break, after Matt [Smith] goes, later in the year because I know I’m not shooting [Doctor Who] until January [2014]. It means I get to explore other projects and come back, and that keeps me very happy.

This revelation may not come as a surprise to Doctor Who fans. After all, the leaked BBC memo that confirmed Matt’s departure also suggested an air date of Autumn 2014 for the next series, so a January shoot would certainly make sense.

But until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just keep watching Doctor Who Live with all your beliefs, and prove to yourself that Peter Capaldi is going to rock the TARDIS!

Roll on Autumn ’14…

(Via Cultbox)

Tags: , ,

likes William Hartnell, whisky, being creative, debating canonicity, The Gunfighters, The Keys of Marinus and City of Death. He has a strong dislike of cold quiche, corporate PowerPoint presentations and lanyards, but loves terrible puns. He's currently employed by a mute teddy bear with black ears.

14 Responses to Coleman Confirms Series 8 Filming to Begin in January

1. mjy says:

Initial thought: Wow so its every 18 months-2 years per series now eh. The production quality has been fantastic, some of the stories not so great so maybe the extra time will help. Yay for Jenna getting variety (gotta love her!), but kinda bummed that we’ve lost the 13 continuous eps thing. Also think that Who has become a bit of a cash cow for the Beeb and why the bloody hell are there no Airfix/model kits of the shows space ships? Want to build the Valiant, Cyberships, etc etc!

• rickjlundeen says:

There’s been indication that they’re breaking up the 13 eps next year. Starting in August, it gives them 5 months to fit things in. I think series 7 was an anomaly in that regard. Plus, it would be smart to give a whole new Doctor a decent run up I’d think.

• Al says:

Who says they have to film everything before the season starts airing? I believe at least two of the Tennant seasons were still being filmed after broadcast started.

2. Pingback: Season Eight in late 2014? |

3. David F says:

I don’t think we’ve lost the thirteen episodes thing, have we? Isn’t Season 8 going to be broadcast as a single long run?

• Simon Magellan says:

The leaked email that gave away the news that Matt Smith was leaving also apparently stated that *12* episodes would be shown in a continuous run from Autumn 2014. This would ensure the new Doctor would get a proper build up. As with all things DW, you can choose to believe this or not as you wish…

4. rickjlundeen says:

Yeah, we’ve heard nothing to indicate they’re broken up.

5. STLShawn says:

Seriously? Really? No series till autumn? Great googly moogly.
    With a run from say Mid August, We will have new eps until mid November, then maybe Xmas, then nothing again until next august.

I’m still looking forward to the docu-drama, the 50th special, and the Xmas 2013 episodes, but really, there’s going to be another long break. Wow.

I still don’t get the logic. DW makes money for the BBC, so they decide to make less, then complain that profits are down. The January thing makes me think it’s a bean counter decision “lets not spend any more 2013 money, then i can tell my bosses how much I saved this year”. The only problem is whoever made this decision is not thinking “This will push profits back and shooting back for the next run, so returns will also be off by months”.

But it’s 2013, and business decisions tend to be made without a long term outlook. More of a “how can I, as an executive, make it appear as though I’m saving money right now, even though someone else months or a year out may get the fallout”

• zarbisupremo says:

Doesn’t work that way, the financial year runs from 1st of April until 30th of March.

• Simon Magellan says:

They have been previous indications that the decision to break the series into episode blocks was taken by Steven Moffat and the DW production office rather than the BBC. Russell T Davies had a Doctor lite episode every series to give the lead a rest but Moffat appears to prefer this approach. Arguably it had not worked ad it has resulted in a very bitty feel to the Matt Smith era, which had not been to his Doctor’s best advantage.

6. Wayne L. says:

I hope the Beeb has plans to fill the space with classic episodes so we have something to take the edge off the wait!

• Simon Magellan says:

Well, they never have before.

7. Al says:

I don’t see why this is concerning people. British TV doesn’t follow the standard seasons US TV does. Many shows air 6-13 episodes with a year’s gap in-between. Red Dwarf took a 4-year break between seasons 6 and 7 and a 2-year break between 7 and 8. Torchwood went on hiatus for 2 years before Children of Earth, and then took another 2 years after that. This is completely business as usual for British television. The only alternative is for Doctor Who to be produced by an American network and we don’t want that, do we?

• Al says:

Oh and don’t let’s forget Sherlock. How many years between seasons?