Doctor Who News Doctor Who's 2013 Logo

Published on August 31st, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

BBC Three to Air Doctor Who Anniversary Clips Show?

Doctor Who Confidential was a BBC Three show that went behind the scenes on Doctor Who from its return in 2005 – until it was unceremoniously (and in many ways, mysteriously) axed in 2011.

Ever since then, BBC Three has avoided producing any original Doctor Who-related shows (you couldn’t stop them back when Russell T Davies was in charge) but if the website of comic Tom Craine is anything to go by, this could be about to change.

Says the barely-recognised comic on his website:

Delighted that I’ll be appearing as a guest on a forthcoming BBC3 show celebrating 50 years of Doctor Who.

Wouldn’t put it past me to have a few stern words to say about the Daleks.

This is the first (and to date, only) mention of this website anywhere (although many outlets have picked up on it). But what does it mean? Does it indicate a change in attitude from axe-happy controller Zai Bennett, or simply shallow ratings-grabbing opportunism?

Many will see this as a sign that Doctor Who Confidential is about to return, but until a formal announcement is made, let’s just look forward to the clips show…

Head to Tom Craine’s website to find out more (although at this stage there isn’t much).

(With thanks to Turquoise Tarquin)

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to BBC Three to Air Doctor Who Anniversary Clips Show?

1. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Another special wouldn’t surprise me. Considering the circumstances, I’d say there should be a gigantic, 3 hour long special on BBC1! they’ve got the 50th anniversary special, the Gatiss movie and I’d be stunned if they didn’t do the appropriate TV-special to celebrate. As long as we get it here too!

2. avatar Mark Lenton says:

why do you think it’s a ‘clips’ show?

• I’ve seen BBC Three….

3. avatar David F says:

Spare us the documentary that features twenty something “celebrity fans” pretending they remember Patrick Troughton and delivering scripted memories about wobbly scenery and Pertwee’s hair and daleks struggling with stairs . . .

4. avatar Neu 75 says:

Oh God another “talking heads” show. Probably loads of comic wannabees making sly comments about “wobbly sets” and “rubbish monsters”, like it’s 1990 or something and Doctor Who was about as fashionable as Trotskyism.

5. avatar DonnaM says:

Doctor Who Confidential was a show I always enjoyed and I was sorry they binned it; if they’d care to bring it back for Series 8 I’d be delighted. However, another BBC3 “Fifty Greatest Moments” type piece of twaddle filled with so called “celebrities” and “comedians” only interested in getting their unfamiliar mugs onto my TV screen…. no thanks. I’ll stick to my classic series DVDs!

6. avatar rickjlundeen says:

I’m thinking more along the lines of “30 years in the Tardis” as that seemed to be more comprehensive and not really talking heads.

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

The Culture Show (a BBC2 Arts Show) is planning a special presented by DW fan and writer Matthew Sweet, which will probably be a pretty high brow affair – like the old South Bank Show look at the series in the 70s.

I suspect if this is happening on BBC3, as Christian says, it will be a “My Top 10 Favourite DW Moments” type of thing with people we’ve never heard of massaging their own egos by being snarky about the old show in comparison to the new version…

I’m more hopeful of a repeat of at least one classic DW story, if not a “11 Faces of DW” season.