Doctor Who News 8th Doctor 2

Published on August 30th, 2013 | by Rebecca Crockett

America, Prepare Yourself for the Eighth Doctor!

No matter if you have been watching Doctor Who since in began in 1963 or only started watching the current series a month ago, you know that today the show has a long history behind it and there have been multiple men that have given us their impression of who the Doctor is. The tenure of each of these versions of the Doctor have all been widely different, and everyone has those eras they love.

As part of the celebrations surrounding the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, BBC America has been presenting a retrospective for each Doctor. Starting in January, each month has featured a different incarnation of the Doctor and included comments from many of those connected to the show. Paired with each retrospective was an episode or story arc from that Doctor’s era.

This month, the series looks back at the Eighth Doctor, Paul McGann, and his only onscreen appearance in Doctor Who: The Movie. The special will include interviews with Steven Moffat, and Eighth Doctor companions Daphne Ashbrook and Yee Jee Tso.

The eighth Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited special will premiere on BBC America on 31st August 2013 at 9/8c.

If you happen to live in the New York City area, the Paley Center for Media will be showing the digitally remastered movie tomorrow, Saturday 31st August 2013 at 1pm.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Rebecca is new to the Who world, having only recently watched the entire new series in a span of 8 days. She is no stranger to sci-fi though, being a life long Trekkie and has vague memories of seeing the 4th Doctor on US television as a child. When not watching, reading, blogging, or talking about Doctor Who, she is a fan of pop culture and loves movies and books so much she has to keep a list of both so she doesn't forget any of them. She also likes to make attempts at various forms of art including photography and painting. Rebecca is currently working her way through as many classic serials and as many books related to the show that she can find and wishes she could have been with the Doctor and Amy when they met Van Gogh.

10 Responses to America, Prepare Yourself for the Eighth Doctor!

1. The version of the trailer on the BBC America site has been updated to reflect the time change. Not sure if it will play in the UK though.

2. avatar TimeChaser says:

I remember when I saw the TV movies for the first time. I was actually in the hospital and when I saw McCoy die on the table, I felt more than a little uncomfortable…

• avatar STLShawn says:

sorry to hear it chaser.
      I lost cable and had to rig up an antenna system. So for a couple years, my only VHS of that was recorded from a rigged up coat hanger antenna that kept fading in and out.

3. avatar krumstets says:

I was one of the lucky winners who saw the TV movie premiered at Bafta in Piccadilly , I thought it was good and still do.

4. avatar rickjlundeen says:

It had its problems—Eric Roberts for one and the curious choice on the half-human bit but over all, I thought they did a very good job, McGann was wonderful, as was the production quality. The “controversial” bits like the kissing raised a ruckus at the time but considering where the show has gone since, it’s not an issue any more.

5. avatar Ryan Gross says:

Where can I watch these in the UK? It feels like I’m missing what the BBC should’ve been doing this year.

• avatar Bob James says:

All the Doctors Revisited specials (including the featured episode for each Doctor) are or will be available on dvd. Check Amazon UK.

6. avatar Bob James says:

I noticed this a long time ago, but never mentioned it. Has anyone else noticed how the scene in “Rose” of the Doctor and Rose running straight at the camera holding hands mirrors the shot in the TV Movie of the Doctor and Grace running straight at the camera after escaping from the Institute, fleeing the Master?

7. avatar Rebecca Crockett says:

So I did manage to get up to NYC to the Paley Center to see this. My first time seeing the movie so I thought making the day of it in the city would be something nice. Took my non-Whovian mother with me and she liked it too. But some parts were just laughably bad, most of them belonging to Eric Roberts. (We won’t add the doc at the opera in a ball gown who apparently puts the ball gown BACK ON after surgery…) Almost wonder what it would’ve been like had they cast someone else in the role who was a lot more serious. He was trying to be dark but it was more hamming it up then being serious, especially at the end when he comes out in the Gallifreyan robes.

• avatar Rebecca Crockett says:

Oh and they did a few trivia questions and I managed to win a dvd copy of the movie :)