Doctor Who News 20130827-074424.jpg

Published on August 27th, 2013 | by Drew Boynton

Alasdair Dewar Hints at New Doctor Who Figures

How soon will it be before the Twelfth Doctor appears in stores? No, not Peter Capaldi himself, the important one: his action figure.

20130827-074409.jpg

To help answer this question, The Daily Record has a new interview with Alasdair Dewar, the product development director of the Character Options toy company. Dewar–a lifelong Doctor Who fan who is living the dream–lets slip a few tiny details.

In addition to new Union Jack (no, not Harkness…) Daleks to commemorate the show’s 50th anniversary, there are at least two terrific figures of the Doctor in the works.

Just in time for this year’s Christmas special will be an Eleven-Twelve figure, which will be very special in itself. Dewar elaborates:

“We already have plans, though, to do a special regeneration figure, partially using Matt Smith’s action figure with Peter’s (Capaldi) head, so we’re lucky that they’re both of a similar body shape and height.”

And, of course, some time in the future will come the official Twelfth Doctor figure. Dewar, who gets an insider’s access to the Doctor Who sets and actors for his work making toys, sounds excited at the prospect:

“There absolutely will be a Peter Capaldi 12th Doctor action figure. We’re trying to get a date when we can scan him but at the moment he’s busy filming the Musketeers film.”

So there you have it. As soon as the boffins at Character Options can get Mr. Capaldi’s face and body scanned into the computers (and find out what delightful fashions he’ll be wearing?), the figure will be on it’s way to becoming a reality on local store shelves.

Now the only real secret left to be answered is, when will the John Hurt one be ready to go? I can’t have any peace or sanity without one of those to complete my collection!

Tags: , , , , ,

Drew has been a fan of Doctor Who ever since he flipped through the channels late one night and saw a girl blowing up an army of funny robot men with nothing but a slingshot and some old coins. He currently lives somewhere in the woods of Missouri with his beautiful wife Barbara.

11 Responses to Alasdair Dewar Hints at New Doctor Who Figures

1. avatar Cavan Scott says:

And the other question is whether they’re just going to release a 12th Doctor in the new diddly scale or whether they’ll also have one to match the older 11 doctors.

• avatar Bob James says:

That is the question. I’m still hoping they change their course and abandon the 3.75 scale line. It’s not too late. If all they offer for a 12th Doctor figure is in 3.75, I won’t be purchasing it. I’d rather wait on the possibilities of what Bif Bang Pow!, or Big Chief (start saving my money now!) might eventually have for offer.

2. avatar Ian says:

But only in 3.75″. We have all the 11 Doctors in 5″ but won’t get 12th in that scale, So I won’t be buying them.

• avatar Colin McDonough. says:

It will be interesting to see if ,for the sake of completeness, C.O. produce a larger 12th Doctor figure to tie in with the other 11. They are maintaining the larger figures for the Classic Range after all.

• avatar Bob James says:

We can hope, can we not?

3. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Stopped buying these when they reduced the scale. I couldn’t stand the sight of seeing my 5″ classic series Ice Warrior kick the new series’ 3.75″ Ice Warrior figure’s ass!

4. avatar rickjlundeen says:

The quality on the 3.75 figures are rubbish. The likenesses aren’t there and what’s the point of getting new figures that aren’t to scale with anything else? They’re going to save me a lot of money as long as they stay with the small scale. I’ve bought two console rooms and loads of 5″ figures. A shame I’ll never be able to get the 12th Doctor. I hope Character options enjoys the money they save on less plastic. They’ll need it.

• We’ll just have to try our hands at CUSTOMIZING! Darvil looks a bit like a young Capaldi, maybe start on a Rory figure with some clay, paint and epoxy?
      And what about the John Hurt character,surely he fits into the “Classic” timeframe!

5. avatar Al says:

I’m confused – I thought another company that produces 8-inch figures (BiffBangPow) has the rights to Capaldi? There was all this talk about them releasing details of the head sculpt last week.

• avatar Bob James says:

They most likely will, I assume. Bif Bang Pow! have a pretty expansive license from the BBC, and have plans to produce every Doctor, playset accessories, and an awful lot of companions and enemies as well. Sales will obviously be a factor. Unless for some reason the BBC abruptly shut them down at some point, we’ll most likely see a Capaldi figure. I find their work far more satisfying than Character Option’s latter new series efforts.

6. avatar Bob James says:

Now there’s talk from Alastair Dewar that after 2013, the “Classic” line will be “slowing down”, for the most part. It makes me wonder if Character Options is trying to lose business. First, the, in my opinion, godawful 3.75 scale line, and now a reduction in the last line of figures they have that are of value. There are so many companions left they could release, Jamie, Zoe, a “classic” Sarah-Jane, Nyssa, Tegan, Turlough, an Anthony Ainley Master in his velvet attire, the UNIT crew, and the list goes on. If the excuse is lack of sales, then perhaps they ought to prepare to close shop as there’s not going to be much worth purchasing. They really seem intent on giving their legacy a proper pissing on.