Doctor Who News dwc-logomoff-hp3

Published on July 31st, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Twelfth Doctor Announcement Coming Sunday?

Rumours on Twitter today suggest that the BBC is gearing up to reveal the identity of the Twelfth Doctor this Sunday in a special edition of Doctor Who Confidential!

dwc-logomoff-hp3

Although listings magazines have Celebrity Mastermind scheduled at 7pm, this is a repeat and is therefore easily pulled. The slot is usually occupied by Countryfile, which is this week on at 8pm.

Details, of course, are sketchy, but there has long been a rumour of an August reveal. Sunday is August 4th, and with the Christmas episode set to enter production:

…we reckon Sunday is as good a time as any for an announcement to be made before the name of the Twelfth Doctor appears in the press as he turns up to a read through.

Several names have been mooted to us, from Anthony Head and Peter Capaldi to Ben Miller and Daniel Rigby.

But which one will it be?

(With thanks to Ed and The Lass)

Tags: , , , , , ,

78 Responses to Twelfth Doctor Announcement Coming Sunday?

1. Lewis Seymour says:

Peter Capaldi has had a surge of betting in the past few days – apparently 60% of all bets are now on him! This mirrors what happened just before Matt Smith was announced. Of all the names mentioned, he’s the only one I can see in my mind’s eye as the Doctor (not to say the others wouldn’t be as good, or better).

And he’d be the first Doctor to have won an Oscar…

But we’ve had these rumours before, so it’s a case of wait and see.

• William Schmetterling says:

Technically, if John Hurt is confirmed as part of the bunch, Capaldi will be the second Oscar-winning actor.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Except he never won – he’s been nominated twice, but lost out both times. Capaldi won for a short he made – it wasn’t an acting Oscar.

• Neu 75 says:

My goodness that’s pedantic. He is an Oscar-winning actor – an actor who has won an Oscar, albeit not for acting…

• Lewis Seymour says:

I was clarifying a point in MY own post, not being pedantic. I expected some know it all to pop up and say “he didn’t win it for acting”…

• Andrew says:

Is it possible the bookmakers are seeding these rumours to rake in the shekels from the mugs?

• TonyS says:

That was my cynical take on the news

• Andrew says:

Besides I’ve got a fiver on Chiwitel Ejiofor…

2. Geoff says:

I don’t think they will put Doctor Who confidential on prime time BBC1 so I think this is unlikely. Also they can film 12s scenes whenever they want, it’s not imminent just because they are starting the Christmas show. 10s first scenes were done ages after 9ths final one.

• They did in 2009…

• Geoff says:

I thought that was on BBC3? But the memory cheats, as someone once said….

• Lewis Seymour says:

Very definitely BBC1 – remember it well.

3. Country file is on at 7:30

• Not this week it isn’t. There’s an hour long slot of Celebrity Mastermind and the news, pushed forward by an afternoon of sport.

• Countryfile
        Wye Valley The show comes from the Wye Valley on the border between England and Wales, where Ellie Harrison faces her fears on a sheer rock pinnacle called the Longstone and John Craven finds out about the monks of Tintern Abbey, before turning his hand to making their favourite tipple – mead. Tom Heap investigates fracking, the controversial method of extracting gas from the ground, and Adam Henson looks at two contrasting approaches to dairy farming. Including Weather for the Week Ahead
        Category Nature/Animals/Environment
        Executive Editor William Lyons
        Series Producer Teresa Bogan
        Cast
        Presenter Ellie Harrison (IMDB)
        Presenter John Craven (IMDB)
        Presenter Tom Heap (IMDB)
        Presenter Adam Henson (IMDB)
        BBC1 London 8:00pm-9:00pm (1 hour ) Sun 4 Aug
        (Subtitles)
        Read more at http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=5091839#sLQjuC9rl10pw6p0.99

• Mastermind 7 – 7:30, news 7:30 – 8pm, country file 8 – 9pm

• Lewis Seymour says:

This wouldn’t stop them putting a special on at 7pm in any case, so not sure what your point is.

(Not that I’m holding my breath for it too actually happen)

• Well spotted, I missed that.

But not, as you will have noticed, at 7.30.

• My points were that country file is not on a break and master mind is half an hour long. There is a pilot for something Who related in front of a live audience being filmed at the same time as this so that maybe where this started.

• We know about the pilot – this rumour is unrelated.

No one said Mastermind isn’t half an hour long, I think you’ve misunderstood the post somewhere. But thanks for posting the details of the evening and clarifying Countryfile, most appreciated!

4. Bethany says:

They haven’t even started auditions for the 12th Doctor yet …

• Says the Moff.

• kopicbloodaxe says:

They’ve known for at least a year that Matt was planning to leave, so they would be well down the road to casting choices by the time it was announced he was off. The past couple of months would have been the final stages with auditions.

• David F says:

Moffat didn’t say they hadn’t started. He said they’d “barely begun”, which means they have started but that there are still lots of auditions, screen tests and negotiations to go through.

He might have been lying, but at least quote his lies accurately!

• TonyS says:

Do we know when he made that statement? If he made it in, say, March, the situation is likely to have changed. With Mr Moff the significance is not just in what he says, but in when he releases the comment.

• Lewis Seymour says:

His most recent comment, at ComicCon, was to the effect that they hadn’t started looking and wouldn’t until the media furore had died down.

So we can expect an announcement sometime in 2028 then…

• TonyS says:

Lewis, is that the same Comic Con at which he admitted he had been lying through his teeth for ages?

Which was my point…

• TonyS says:

Oops! In that case I agree with you.

• Sipodge says:

I’d imagine they have – They released the scripts for the 12th Doctor auditions a few weeks back, so they could well have started…

5. Ian Gettings says:

Grief, I feel oddly resentful to whoever is going to be announced! Is this what a lot of Tennant groupies experienced last time??!

• Lewis Seymour says:

Although MS was a good actor, and quite often his Doctor was very good, I never felt as close to his portrayal as I did to the other Doctors – I think this was due to the very bitty nature of his era, with a few episodes here and there and long gaps between seasons. It never felt as cohesive as the other eras, which was a pity – I don’t think it did him or the series any favours.

• Andrew says:

And they still haven’t bloody got over it!

6. vortexter says:

At last! Peter Capaldi is a great shout as the Dr. Someone a little older will make a change in the role (sorry Peter but you know what I mean!)

7. Ben Miller would be brilliant. Beyond brilliant. I have my fingers crossed but Im not that hopeful :-S

8. Lewis Seymour says:

One other possible Capaldi Omen -

In “World War Z” his credit is WHO Doctor!!!

9. Steve Potter says:

The problem with Capaldi is that he’s already been cast in a new Musketeers TV series as Richelieu. Either Head or Miller would be good but Head was a pretty prominent role (only one episode, granted) as Mr. Finch in 2006′s “School Reunion” episode.

• Interesting point on Richelieu, although this is traditionally a key role that requires minimal screen time. Hmm…

• Lewis Seymour says:

I may be wrong here but as I understand it, he’s filmed a pilot for the Musketeers – that does not mean it will go to a series or if it does, he will be in it.

10. Caity says:

*Crosses everything I can and chants* Please let it be Ben Miller, Please let it be Ben Miller, Please let it be Ben Miller…

11. Lewis Seymour says:

We have been through this at least twice – remember the DW Proms? – and I suspect this will be no different. We’ll spend days getting worked up and then nothing will happen. I also would not be surprised if, when it does finally happen, we all go “who the —- is he?” and it turns out to be someone no one has ever mentioned.

We shall see.

• Bob James says:

Wisest comment I’ve seen here, by far. We’ll know when we know……..

12. lozzer says:

I hope this is true – I can’t bare any more tedious media speculation.

13. authorman94 says:

Ah drat! I was just in the middle of a Who marathon with my folks as well! ;)

Just kidding, want to make sure this turns out to be true though since I thought they were aiming for the middle/end of August?

14. robin says:

This coincides with the weird “unnamed pilot” thing they are set to film Sunday night. — WHAT IF….it is only to get a “live reaction” group shot of fans while watching the reveal???? Now that would be FANTASTIC!

Also, on Peter Capaldi, I am OK with him being 12. BUT, I can’t get over that he had such a HUGE part in “Torchwood: Children of Earth”. I know we have had people play two parts before (remember Freema played “Martha’s cousin” in Army of Ghosts) and Capaldi himself was in Fires of Pompeii. But his portrayal of John Frobisher in TW:COE was so good, that I may have a rough transition.

15. Lewis Seymour says:

Just had a thought – probably nonsense but anyway…

This pilot programme that is filming this weekend – wanting fans in costume, but unable to announce a title, presenter or any details of who’s at it… Could it be a unveiling of the Doctor?

A bit unlikely, I know – but…

• It’s possible.

• TonyS says:

And seemingly that IS what is going on. I am dying to type the words “told you”. But then most of us were saying this too.

• Andrew says:

What would be the point? Live footage of fans going ‘He/she’s rubbish, the show’s doomed, Moffet miuzt goes!!!’ No press office worth it’s salt would allow that.

• TonyS says:

I would imagine they will edit it if that happens

16. I really hope not. Is it too much to be ask for the reveal of who 12 is when he actually regenerates at Christmas? I WANT TO BE SURPRISED!

• Lewis Seymour says:

Yes it is. Absolutely no way they can keep this a secret once it is decided however much they might want to – the BBC leaks like the Titanic after it hit the iceberg, and someone will reveal all before the day.

17. MR RON says:

The Titanic didn’t leak.. it took in water. Think about it.

• Lewis Seymour says:

OK – “the BBC leaks like the Exxon Valez after it ran aground” – that better?

18. Hyncharas says:

The BBC should have a rule where if someone leaks something this important unless the team actually want it aired, that person should be sacked.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Technically, if it is confidential information they could be disciplined and possibly sacked, depending how serious it is (this is true of any company) – but the leaks aren’t always intentional – the one that revealed MS was going was accidental for example.

• TonyS says:

You’re sure about that are you? It did come just before the Regeneration box set the cover of which shows the 11th Doctor… regenerating

That’s true, of course.

19. Andrew says:

A small point: when DWC aired to announce Matt Smith, it was already in the listings, but with no content specified. You have to consider that Mastermind has an audience – quite a loyal one probably – who might be rather fecked off if this trick was pulled on them.

• Neu 75 says:

It’s a repeat, they’ll get over it…

20. TimeChaser says:

The sooner the better, for the sake of my sanity.

21. Lewis Seymour says:

Interesting comment in the Times newspapers online edition – a paysite:

“William Hill had not taken any money on him before Sunday but had to cut the odds to 2-1 yesterday after 40 bets were placed in 24 hours, an avalanche in such a small market”

Which again makes you wonder what prompted the rush.

• David F says:

I’ve always wondered what kind of person places bets on this kind of thing. I can understand the attraction of betting on sporting events, but to actually go to a bookmakers and place a bet on actors being cast in certain roles, or the outcome of storylines in soap operas . . . Anyone who did that would surely be operating on perceived inside knowledge. Because otherwise, it would be a rather weird, random guess, with far less chance of success than betting on the favourite to win a horse-running race.

• Andrew says:

I work on blind luck. Come on, Chiwitel!!

• TonyS says:

Bookmakers would prefer that punters bet on the wrong people. Maybe the bookmakers engineered the rush.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Be more trouble than its worth (especially if they got found out as it’s illegal) – I don’t think we are talking huge amounts of money here!

Wonder if it had anything to do with the fact that he attended filming of the “Adventures in Time and Space” special? Maybe someone thought this meant more than just a friendly visit (he’s a friend of Gatiss).

• I wonder if the bets were largely from Cardiff and London?

22. kevin merchant says:

Apparently Ben Miller isn’t in “Death in Paradise” in the next season. Why would he give up such a good role?

• Lewis Seymour says:

He found the heat too much – like his character. Filming of the first series was not a great experience – he got heatstroke (and it coincided with the breakup of his marriage). He was probably contracted to a second series, if there was one, but suspect he was more than happy to get out when he had the chance. Kris Marshall will be taking over from him. This is a pity as I liked the series with him in it and don’t like Marshall!

• There are two series of Death in Paradise to date. It is unlikely that Miller would have been forced to do a second as TV contracts don’t work like that.

Perhaps he was happy to be paying the bills :)

But come on, who in their right mind would be “happy to get out” of being paid to work in the Caribbean for six months a year?!

• Lewis Seymour says:

Er, I am afraid I know a bit about whence I speak here, and TV/film contracts most definitely can work like that – they would almost certainly have had a pick up option in the cast’s contracts (so if a show goes to a second series they would be obligated to do it) – this is standard practice (which is why everyone thought Eccles would have been around for more than one series). If you get a smash hit show or film you don’t want to be held over a barrel by the actors you’ve signed up for just for one series.

As for who in their right mind would be happy to get out of being paid to work in the Caribbean for six months a year – well, clearly Ben Miller would, apparently.

(using your argument, would you rather spend six months in the Caribbean or nine months in Wales?)

• Wales – but then I’m a fan :D

I’ve had the pleasure of picking through a handful of movie and TV contracts back in the day, and the only time I ever saw a contract obliging the star to do anything as follow on was on a particularly popular soap opera spin-off – I was told the practice was “unpopular”.

Happy to be proved wrong.

• TonyS says:

I would. Insert punchline here…….

23. Mr Ron says:

The biggest clue that something may be afoot is the schedule cock up. Deadly 100 is 630 to 7 on BBC1 but only 20 mins long on BBC1 HD which shows 10 mins off air at 650 ( as happens when regional news is on?). Schedule is faked – someone forgot to align properly. My guess is correct schedule will be news at 630 then regional leaving one hour free from 7pm…

• Lewis Seymour says:

Or its just a cock up by the office boy putting the schedules together for the EPGs.

24. Lewis Seymour says:

Just posted on Radio Times online:

“At midnight tonight (or tomorrow morning for those who like to be pedantic) the BBC will make a time-and-space-shattering announcement about Doctor Who.

What could it be we wonder?

We are sworn to secrecy, but it might be worth staying up late/ setting an alarm for 00:01/ tying a piece of string around your finger (or similar) to find out.

Watch this (adventure in) space (and time)…”

25. Lewis Seymour says:

Looks definite announcement is to be made this Sunday at 7pm. Good on you Kasterborous!!!

And it would appear that the “quiz pilot” was indeed just a ruse to get fans along for it.

Oh the excitement!

26. TonyS says:

Oh Mr Moffat! You and your obfuscations :)