Doctor Who News Is Harry Potter's Rupert Grint the Twelfth Doctor Who?

Published on July 3rd, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

Ron Weasley for Twelfth Doctor?

If just under a quarter of the four thousand internet posts analysed by the sinister sounding company Crimson Hexagon are to be believed then the Doctor may get his wish and finally be ginger.

Is Harry Potter's Rupert Grint the Twelfth Doctor Who?

According to the data collected by the NSA social media analytics provider ForSight platform fans have taken to social media sites like Facebook and Twitter to make Harry Potter star Rupert Grint their choice for the next Doctor.

Rupert was the second favourite choice to become the Doctor with 23% of the analysed posts, behind the heavily publicised choice of Richard II star Rory Kinnear. Merlin’s Colin Morgan (who also appeared in 2008′s Midnight) was the third most popular choice with 21% of posts.

The survey also revealed that only 13% of posts suggest the next Doctor should be a woman, while less than 4% wanted a black actor.

Personally, while I think Rupert’s a perfectly fine genre actor, he doesn’t possess that otherworldly quality necessary to make the Doctor such a beguiling, enigmatic figure. I’d have trouble believing he had vanquished alien races or made impossible choices.

Do you think Rupert Grint make a good Doctor? Too ginger? Too young?

(Via Daily Express.)

Tags: , , , ,

22 Responses to Ron Weasley for Twelfth Doctor?

1. avatar DoctorFun says:

No No No No No. The Doctor NEEDS to be a relative unknown- someone we won’t have typecast as any other character. The Doctor has to be The Doctor, not Ron Weasley or anybody else. It’s that guy where you get him, and you’re a little unsure at first because you don’t know who he is or really what he will do, but you grow together, him as the Doctor and you as the Whovian, and you form a special relationship in the process. It’s part of what makes regeneration a unique process- learning to love the same man with a different face all over again.

2. It would certainly make an interesting choice I know I was one of the people who thinks he may be a good one but time will tell this may just be one of those many rumours

3. avatar Al says:

Nothing against the guy, but he’s not a strong enough actor for the part. Plus he’s so well identified as Ron that it would be the same as if they got Radcliffe to play the Doctor — it would be a case of “Ron Weasley is the Doctor” and it would overshadow everything else. Similar to if they were to cast William Shatner as the Doctor or something. If they want to plunder Harry Potter they’d be better off with Robbie Coltrane or Alan Ryckman. Despite having already been in A Christmas Carol, I wouldn’t complain if Michael Gambon was cast either.

• avatar Timelover says:

He’s actually an incredibly strong actor.
      And seriously. Coltrane, Rickman and Gambon would only last one series as they wouldn’t be able to keep up with all the running.

4. avatar Bob James says:

I would just stop watching if they did something that stupid. But they won’t, so I won’t have to. No offense to Rupert, who is a fine actor, with no doubt a very promising career ahead of him, but no, just, no. Whatever happened to intelligent speculation? There’s a lot of people at this game that obviously start drinking quite early in the morning apparently every day.

5. I have nothing against him as an actor, but I’m not sure he’d be right for the role. That said, CBS have just turned down the US pilot he made (Super Clyde) so his diary is unexpectedly empty and he’s happy to commit to a potentially long tv contract so I wouldn’t be surprised if he was interested.

6. avatar Teesside Tardis says:

No chance the guys got as much gravitas as my cat. back off potter.

7. avatar Christine says:

Who knows? I like the idea he is ginger but I would like to see someone a bit older. No 80 year old but someone in his 30s or 40s. But then again Matt was younger and did a good job So why wouldn’t Ron? I would Still like a coloured guy though. I expect to be satisfied without the eventual choice anyway. But then I am just one of those middle aged women who tend to accept who ever is those as long as the stories are good!

8. avatar rickjlundeen says:

The trouble with going with ever younger guys, it sets up a pattern but the Moff will cast who he feels is the best guy and find out the age afterward as he did Matt. He had no idea he was as young as he was when he auditioned and he was only the third guy in the door! and now that I realize I’ll probably have never have heard of the new guy—announce him already!

9. avatar TimeChaser says:

Ok, lets please not even joke about this. He is completely wrong for the Doctor. I agree with the article, Grint just doesn’t have that otherworldly/alien quality that is essential for playing the Doctor. Plus, he is too high profile.I think there are some rare cases when an actor can be known for two different iconic roles (like Harrison Ford as Han Solo and Indiana Jones, or Richard Dean Anderson as MacGyver and Col. O’Neil), but in this case… I just don’t see Ron Weasly and the Doctor being mentioned in the same breath in a million years.

If they want a ginger Doctor this time, they can do better.

10. No. No. Yes.

11. avatar Jon Roberts says:

Matt Smith was auditioned and got the roll in 2008, and thr first episode appeared in Jan 2010. You would think that if that if they use the same rules the new actor was choosen quite some time ago. I think the moff just likes to laugh at us all when it comes to who is next.

12. avatar Ginger: Just Say No! says:

Ginger? It’s either Carrot Top or give up on the idea of ginger. You choice.

13. avatar joesiegler says:

No. That is all I have to say.

14. avatar heckyes says:

Yes, a million, zillion times Yes! Rupert for Dr!

15. avatar Timelover says:

Well I’m gonna be the one to cut the guy some slack and say yeah he’d be great as The Doctor.
    In about 10 years time though.

16. avatar iank says:

God no. I think that would kill the show entirely for me. Can’t stand him!

17. avatar Wayne says:

I may be over thinking this but to me it seems that the first Doctor was an old man…..of late starting with Ecclston to Tenant to Smith , he seems to be a Benjamin Button type character who gets younger with each regeneration.How long will it be before the Doctor is a baby in diapers with a Sonic pacifier instead of a Sonic Screwdriver?

• avatar TimeChaser says:

They cast whoever they feel is right for the role, regardless of age. People who think the Doctor is just going to keep getting younger every time aren’t thinking it through.

Although Hartnell looked older with the long wig, he was in his 50s when he was in the part, as were, Troughton and Pertwee I believe. With the exception of Davison who was 29 when cast and then Matt Smith at 26, the actor ages have been firmly in the 30/40s with Tom Baker, Colin, Sylv, McGann, Eccleston and Tennant. So he doesn’t get younger and younger, he fluctuates. although the average since Tom has been 30-40-ish.

18. avatar daniel says:

A little young now. He needs to do some different genres first i would say…theatre as well as ce dt ms and daniel radcliffe have all done. I would be very cheeky and ask which billion selling film series some of the posters here have acted in!

19. avatar TonyS says:

I have only seen Rupert Grint in Harry Potter and in Thunderpants. He didn’t impress me in these. But they were all some time ago. Hopefully his acting has matured and improved. If people are wanting him to play the Doctor based on his portrayal of Ron Weasley (and I suspect they are), that is a compelling argument (if one were needed) not to let the public anywhere near the casting process. Thankfully it’s Steven Moffat’s choice.

20. avatar krumstets says:

Maybe the Doctor could briefly regenerate into one guise before settling on his new self ?
    The temporary Doctor could be on screen for less than a minute say and could be played by Prince Charles .
    Give him a few lines and bingo!! Charlie could have his moment in Doctor Who.
    ( If his Mum can manage that Bond/ Olympics skit surely he could do this?)