Doctor Who News ###

Published on July 2nd, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

Reece Shearsmith Not Interested in Doctor Who #12

Ruling himself out of contention for the role of the Twelfth Doctor, Recce Shearsmith has said he would ‘love’ to follow up his Troughton role with an appearance in Doctor Who itself.

Reece Shearsmith: Not the Twelfth Doctor Who

Recce recently played the Second Doctor in the BBC docudrama An Adventure in Space and Time – written by fellow League of Gentleman star and writer Mark Gatiss – but has said he doesn’t consider himself a potential replacement for Matt Smith:

“Oh God, no! I’ve literally not even thought about it…I’ve had a few people tweeting me that, saying, ‘You should be the Doctor’… I’m like, ‘What??’”

However that didn’t stop him speculating on who could fill Matt’s boots:

“It could be literally anyone. I can’t imagine who we’re gonna get. But it would be good to go older, I think, because they’ve done two younger ones.”

Actors who have already been rumoured to be taking on the role or have ruled themselves out of the running include Rory Kinnear, Ben Daniels, Ben Whishaw and Dominic Cooper.

An announcement on the casting of the next Doctor by the BBC is rumoured to be due in August.

An Adventure in Space and Time will air on BBC Two later this year.

(Via Digital Spy)

Tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to Reece Shearsmith Not Interested in Doctor Who #12

1. rickjlundeen says:

Every time I wonder about who’ll be picked for the next Doctor, I have to keep reminding myself that I probably will have no idea who the guy is, no matter how famous he may be in the UK.

I had never heard of the actors who played the Doctor when they stepped into the role except for two: Peter Davison from watching “All Creatures…” and Eccleston only because I had *happened* to see ” The Second Coming” previously. all the rest, never heard of them.

• Geoff says:

Don’t worry Rick, I’m in the UK and had only ever heard of Chris Eccleston out of all the Doctors cast in my lifetime which are 5th onwards. I didnt even know who Paul McGann was, I was in my 20s and had never seen Withnail and I, the shame! Of course I have now BTW.

2. TonyS says:

From Peter Davison owards I had heard of each Doctor before he took on the role. And then Matt Smith appeared on the scene…

3. TimeChaser says:

The only Doctor I had any knowledge of before his casting was Paul McGann, having seen him in a minor (but memorable) role in The Three Musketeers. But then, being American and a kid in the 80s, I wasn’t aware of any of the previous seven actors except them playing the Doctor.

4. zarbisupremo says:

I’d seen Sylvester McCoy in a soup or stock cube advert, but hadn’t seen McGann in anything. I knew of Christopher Ecclestone from watching Shallow Grave, 28 Days Later, The Others, and The League Of Gentlemen. I’d previously seen David Tennant in Taking Over The Asylum, Rab C Nesbitt, Secret Smile, and heard him in a couple of Big Finish audios. I’d never seen Matt Smith in anything before. As for this John Hurt guy, never ‘eard of ‘im ;-) !

5. Geoff says:

I remember when David Tennant was announced they said it was the actor from Blackpool (the TV show not place) and I thought David Tennant was David Morrissey so I was quite surprised when I first saw a picture of this cheeky impish looking fellow standing next to Billie with a tower block in the background. Funny how just a couple of years later David Morrisset did indeed turn up as The Doctor, of sorts.

6. Lewis Seymour says:

I knew who Peter Davison was when he was cast – and like many others felt he was too well known, and too young! C Baker I knew only from DW itself, and even then only barely remembered him. McCoy I had only the vaguest knowledge of – I think he was on a Saturday morning show (Tiswas?). McGann I knew mainly as a member of the Brothers rather than an individual in his own right (and I still haven’t watch Withnail…). Ecclescake I knew from Our Friends. Tennant was new to me, as was, of course, Smith.

There’s every likelihood that, whoever 12 turns out to be, whatever they may have been in, most of us won’t know them – even if it’s Rory Kinnear, and we’ve seen Skyfall, it doesn’t mean we’d remember him in particular.

7. Pingback: It’s Official: Matt Smith’s Doctor Who Replacement to Be Announced On Sunday. Peter Capaldi the Leading Candidate? | We Minored In Film