Doctor Who News 8th Doctor 2

Published on July 19th, 2013 | by Philip Bates

McGann Hints At 50th Return?

We all know that no classic Doctor will be in the 50th anniversary special – right? Moffat has even recently said that it’s not a traditional celebration, because they can’t do The Eleven Doctors. But maybe – just maybe – we’re wrong in this assertion.

The Eighth Doctor, Paul McGann, remains cryptic about his possible inclusion.

8th Doctor 3

When asked by @Ambajejus on Twitter for a comment on rumours of his return, McGann quoted Matthew 24:6:

“See that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.”

Intriguing, eh? Of course, this is probably nothing – it’s probably him just saying he’d love to return one day (and we’d love him to come back too!). But any glimmer of hope is worthwhile.

The comment was a result of Outpost Skaro tweeting:

“We hear very strong hints that Paul McGann is indeed returning to Dr Who for a 50th Anniversary appearance!”

And accompanied by this shocking fake. (No giggling at the back.)

8th Doctor fake

But let’s remind ourselves that Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith, in the Long Ago, hinted “paintings” in relation to the special. Could the previous Doctors crop up as paintings, their voices being utilised?

We’ll have to find out in November!

(Thanks to Mr Paddy!)

Tags: , , , ,

29 Responses to McGann Hints At 50th Return?

1. Doctor 11.5 says:

Maybe Hurt’s “Doctor” is a manifestation of #8 like the Dream Lord was of #11, so 8 will show up to reclaim that part of himself.

And maybe I can jump off of Sears Tower and fly, too.

2. lee moone says:

Perhaps he’s auditioned for the 12th and got it? ;)

Personally, I’d like to see a ‘one-off’ prequel season of McGann’s dying days before the Dr really dies and given a new set of 12 regenerations by the Time Lords starting of course with the new No. 1 in the set… Hurt!

3. FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Time will tell. It always does.

4. Tomer Feiner says:

The fake wasn’t even made for that purpose. It was made for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXsCbxG27KY

• I don’t understand why they’ve mirrored the image :S

(btw I’m the creator of that image)

• Philip Bates says:

I’ve no idea why they’ve done that then!

Just watched your video btw: fantastic stuff. Well done. I’m useless with all that clever computer-y stuff, so I really admire your talent. :D

• Bill Waldrow says:

Tardiselliot?!? I remember this. You cropped in Mcgann from the movie and improvised an excellent regeneration.

5. TonyS says:

Oh joy! Days, weeks, months even of speculation. Line up the conclusions and let’s jump to them…

6. Lewis Seymour says:

Could this be why his Doctor made such a brief appearance in the Name of the Doctor – because he is lined up for more of an appearance later? Of course, maybe it won’t be the 50th Anniversary story itself – maybe it’ll be the Christmas Special? Moffat has seemed to suggest that we’re looking at a “multi episode” special – Name being part 1, 50th building on that and then Christmas rounding off the year with another Doctor and the Regen? Certainly McGann’s answer is nothing if not enigmatic…

• Chris says:

That “cameo” in The Name of The Doctor was rather insulting. You basically have to slow it down to see him because he’s just a quick blur across the screen.

7. MBORE says:

I really want to see a 8th Doctor to have his own Tv spin off show which is tiled with both the current tv series and the Big Flash stories of the 8th doctor. Also i want to see 8th doctor from start to finish. with the story picking off from the 8th doctor’s last big flash episode (in this case, Dark Eyes) and this spin off series of the 8th doctor will lead up to the Time War in the first season and in later season will show the 8th doctor fighting the daleks in the time war and will lead to the (TURE) regeneration of the 8th doctor into the 9th doctor and maybe just maybe a Time War Movie at the very end of the series.

I hope 8th doctor will return.

8. TonyS says:

Maybe the next change is a degeneration rather than a regeneration. Whatever it is, I am sure it will be ingenious.

9. well its definately a fake as thats a still (mirrored) from my Time War film

• TonyS says:

I accept that the still is a fake. Whether the story is, we shall no doubt discover in the autumn.

10. I would love to see Paul return

11. Spider-pope says:

It’d be great to see Paul as The Doctor again. He’s always been one of my favourites.

12. Tongmaster5 says:

I think it’s highly unlikely that Paul McGann will ever appear while Moffat’s in charge, in one episode of Doctor Who Confidential he was very dismissive of the US TV Movie, face facts Moffat doesn”t like it so McGann will never appear while he’s the showrunner

• Spider-pope says:

There is more to McGann’s Doctor than the tv movie. Like a shed load of absolutely fantastic Big Finish audios.

It’s always amazing to me that the Internet knows more about what Moffat does and doesn’t like and what he will and won’t include than Moffat does himself.

13. DW addict says:

maybe we’ll see the Eight/John Hurt regeneration

14. Ken Jukes says:

I think if Paul McGann is going to be in the episode it would be him regenerating into John Hurt!..that makes sense doesnt it?

15. Kelvington says:

Here’s a much better McGann Fake I used in one of my videos, feel free to use it, if you leave my name on it. http://kelvington.com/TEMP/McgannFake.mp4

• I don’t mean to be dismissive but I don’t really see how thats any better than my masking effort?

16. Steve Andrew says:

I treat every possible casting decision as “I’ll believe it when it’s announced officially.” That said, I’d dearly love for the 8th Doctor to be on-screen again. McGann was / is a brilliant Doctor.

17. Mr Paddy says:

Oh, I so dearly want this to be true. If Hurt’s Doctor fits in between 8 and 9, then the regeneration sequence would be pretty key to the story.. and to have a valid reason in a story to do the 8th regeneration and NOT use it would be criminal.

18. Tina says:

When Paul was in Australia with Colin, Peter and Sylvester, they were interviewed on morning television. Colin, Peter and Sylvester were very vocal about them not being involved in the 50th, but Paul said nothing. Then when he returned to England he was interviewed on radio and directly asked if he was involved. He said “you can hear about these things at the eleventh hour, you can be called on a Friday and asked to come in on the Monday”. That’s not anything of course but it shows that he could very easily be in at least some small studio shot scenes, like flashbacks or something. That would be really good, to see how what happened to him after the events in the movie and leading into the war. I hope something like this happens.

19. David F says:

I think the meaning of the strange quote is the opposite. It means “Be patient. Good things happen eventually in life. But not this time.” He’s saying, this special is not the time when we get what we’re hoping for.

20. Geoff says:

He’s probably also hustling a bit for a part by making these comments, letting it be known if he’s called on Friday he will make himself available for Monday. And why shouldn’t he hustle a bit, after all that’s how Chris Eccleston got the part too. I hope it pays off and we get to see Paul again.

• James says:

The 50th is all filmed and in the can now, though, so (however much I would really like him to appear) I don’t think he’s “hustling” for it.

21. sakib says:

Paintings is probably the painting of the doctors tardis exploding in the last episode of season 5. thats my assumption, Im not sure, but with the iformation we have gathered from s5-7 , that is the most likely guess THAT I COULD MAKE, again thisis my opinion.