Doctor Who News 20130713-171943.jpg

Published on July 13th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Is the Twelfth Doctor Who About to Be Unveiled?

So tonight is the night that the Doctor Who Prom will entertain guests at the Royal Albert Hall and on BBC Radio 3 – but could something else be afoot?

20130713-171912.jpg

Thanks to SF Crowsnest we know that something else is taking place tonight, something secret, something that might just be the unveiling of the Twelfth Doctor Who, if their source science fiction author Stephen Hunt is right.

Our own man at the event has so far told us that programmes have been withheld (apparently they were available upon arrival last time) and that there have been limited opportunities to move around e venue…

We will, of course, let you know as the evening progresses!

(Thanks to Simon Mills, Gareth Kavanagh and The Fiction Stroker)

Tags: , , , ,

51 Responses to Is the Twelfth Doctor Who About to Be Unveiled?

1. derekbd says:

” told us that program’s have been withheld ” < grocer's apostrophe, bad

• IPad’s apostrophe, actually.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

IPad’s apostrophe? So your IPad wrote the article? Weird as you are credited as the author :)

• Well, me, the iPad and some flying sand from the hands of the time twins…

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Well give your IPad and flying sand co-authorship credits next time!

• *greengrocers’ apostrophe

2. TonyS says:

Yes. That apostrophe is what is important here!

• You’re right, Tony, so right…

• derekbd says:

Good grammar is always important. Expecting writers to set an example on the web is very important.

• TonyS says:

Depends.

3. GallifreyanFallenAngel says:

How is Stephen Hunt connected to Doctor Who? How would he know something like this? Good thing I can listen in on radio in a little bit.

• Lewis Seymour says:

He’s an author who seems legit – proper books he hasn’t had to pay someone to publish! Apart from writing sf he has no direct DW connection I can see and seems he was just there when this was mentioned! Perhaps they knew he ran a sf website and were putting one over on him? We’ll see…

4. Scrimnet says:

Arrrghh! No computers…Its “Programmes”

• If we’re being pedantic, Scrimnet, it’s “it’s”, not “its”…

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Love it! :)

• Scrimnet says:

I was on my not so very smartphone ;)

5. Lewis Seymour says:

Hmm. In another post earlier today I commented that Moffat, in an interview, seemed to be laying the ground for an announcement sooner rather than later (as the BBC have been maintaining). However… I wonder about this. It would seem a strange way to do it. There’s a limited audience – the people in the crowd and the Radio 3 audience. Also, would they really say this to the staff there? It’s a risk someone would – as they have – leak the news. Still, stranger things have happened!

6. TimeChaser says:

I do hope they announced it. Wasn’t it mentioned in Radio Times a while back that they were going to announce it in July?

7. Stephen Hunt has a friend in the orchestra and they were told at the rehearsal last night that this would be happening. Allegedly. :-)

• Lewis Seymour says:

I’m wondering if this is a way to get publicity for his website? I bet they are getting more hits than their entire total combined tonight!

• Seems possible, but unlikely I would have thought. It wouldn’t be worth the resulting backlash…

• TonyS says:

No announcement aparently. Backlash sometime soon!

• Stephen Hunt removed the relevant posts from his FB page sometime after the non-event… fb.com/SciFi.Fantasy

8. Ruud says:

I don;t want to know who will be the 12th Doctor.
    Surprise me with Christmas. So the ones who know, keep it silent !!!!

• TimeChaser says:

They wouldn’t keep it under wraps til the Christmas special is airing. Its just not possible, for one, to keep it a secret that long. And from the old series to the new, they’ve always announced who the next Doctor is ahead of his first appearance.

• Lewis Seymour says:

As has been pointed out by Moffat in interviews – you can’t keep anything secret when it involves public filming – so unless the Xmas special and all subsequent filming is done on closed sets, we will have to be told before the programmes are actually broadcast!

• Ruud says:

It’s not the proxblem of public filming, it’s the people who can’t keep their mouth shut !!.
        Oooh, hear what I know !!. I have to tell everyone that I’m important because I know somethng !. So I blabber it around !.

I was on a fanpage for something, when I read the news about Matt leaving.
        Later it was on the news. Pity, it would be a great bang when we only knew it when it happened on Xmasday. ;-)

• Hey, Ruud… I’m sorry, but you’ll need to vacate the internet right now if you want to avoid this particular spoiler between now and Christmas! ;-)

…And not watch any news or read any newspapers or talk to anyone!

9. Gruff says:

Listening to it now, unfortunately missed the first part but was always hoping to listen tonight. Hopefully I will hear it live…

10. Lewis Seymour says:

As it is now 9.51 and there’s nothing on the news or the BBC website, I assume this was another false alarm?

11. John Shandler says:

Well we all know what ‘Stephen Hunt’ is rhyming slang for now, don’t we? Lying git!

12. Gruff says:

Not tonight then!

Would have been surprised really given that tonight was for the music and sounds of the show rather than the stories and characters.

13. William Wonka says:

Really wish you guys would stop reporting rumours as news. Still, I suppose the traffic generates some cash for you from those tacky ads at the bottom of the screen. Classy.

• There is nothing in this post that reports any rumour as fact. We’re reporting rumour as rumour.

“I support the traffic generates some cash for you… [etc.-boring, really]”

We don’t need the traffic. And we don’t make money from the ads you refer to.

But thanks for sharing your esteemed opinion, hiding behind a comedy moniker. We’ll be sure to take your thoughts on board.

14. Neu 75 says:

We Doctor Who fans are such gullible suckers, aren’t we?

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Only if you believed it.

15. Scrimnet says:

The not very good commentator on R3 did say….”introducing the new Doctor..John Hurt”

16. Steve Chapman says:

Hang on isn’t he The Valeyard or Omega?

;-)

• Lewis Seymour says:

The Meddling Monk, I think you’ll find.

17. TonyS says:

erm Daniel Rigby much?

18. Al says:

Since none of the fan sites have a great big announcement, I guess this can be chalked up as another false alarm. I’m assuming they’ll announce the new Doctor when they begin filming the Christmas special, in much the same way they announced Diana Rigg as guest starring in The Crimson Horror the day they started filming it.

• TimeChaser says:

Actully no. Dianna Riggg, and hr daughter, were announced as guest stars months in advance of the episode.

19. Lewis Seymour says:

Although I didn’t believe this would happen, I still found myself feeling a little disappointed when it didn’t – obviously deep down some part of me hoped for it to be true…

20. Lewis Seymour says:

Define Irony: “Bleeding Cool” being smug that they didn’t report this story…

21. STLShawn says:

It’s always a great watch and listen. I love putting on the DW@Proms while doing my domestic duties on Sundays.

22. TonyS says:

Thing is, it seems they did name the new Doctor. They named him (wrongly one assumes) as John Hurt. Mere coincidence? Or smoke and mirrors?

• TonyS says:

or has the identity of Doctor 12 been staring us in the face for two months?

• Jan Bos says:

The Doctor said about Hurt: it’s me, but not as the Doctor, he broke the promise.
        So I think it’s the Doctor in the Timewar before he called himself The Doctor.

• Steve Chapman says:

@TonyS : No.

23. TonyS says:

Jan and Steve, I hope you are both right. And I am almost certain that you are. But there is just a niggle at the back of my mind :)