Doctor Who News Ninth Doctor

Published on July 1st, 2013 | by Philip Bates

Eccleston Wants Mature Roles

His incarnation of everyone’s favourite son of Gallifrey suffered from survivor’s guilt, haunted by the terrors of war, but Ninth Doctor, Christopher Eccleston, says he welcomes more mature roles.

doctors-christophereccleston2.jpg

The actor, who starred as the Doctor in 2005 when showrunner, Russell T. Davies, bought back the series, appeared in Song for Marion, which was released on DVD and Blu-ray last month. Eccleston plays James, the estranged son of Marion (Vanessa Redgrave) and Arthur (Terence Stamp); after the former passes away, her husband joins her choir to honour her, bringing him and James closer together.

Christopher says mature, adult (not in that way) films are becoming more and more popular, something which big-shot producers should embrace:

“The industry is missing a trick if it doesn’t exploit what is undoubtedly a growing market. Culturally it’s very, very depressing when everything is about ‘youth’ and ‘physical beauty.’”

He particularly acknowledges its strong script, which is character-driven, not merely all about CGI:

“It was a good role; they were paying me; the film was about performance rather than special effects, and I’ve always been interested in the father/son dynamic.”

Song For Marion, which also stars – steady yourselves - Gemma Arterton (St. Trinian’s; Tamara Drewe), is just £10.20 from Amazon UK.

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to Eccleston Wants Mature Roles

1. avatar Sally Ann Price says:

I love Christopher Eccleston. That is a great photo of him. He was great as Doctor Who, but I understand him. He is a fantastic actor. I wish I could meet him, but live in the States. That is a great interview.

2. avatar Adrian Larson says:

I really enjoyed Eccleston as the 9th doctor! But the the guys a pain the a$$ artsy fartsy dude. The big problem he tries way to hard to be one when you can have your cake and eat it to.

3. avatar TonyS says:

Chris Eccleston is an actor who takes his job seriously and has a desire to play a wide variety of roles. He has said this in interviews. He is knocking on a bit too. (Still younger than me though). So, of course, mature roles are going to interest him. “Artsy fartsy dude”? He works in the ARTS for goodness sake!

4. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

Eccleston is a great actor. I understand why he wants to continue to challenge himself as an actor and everything, but I wish he would be a bit more open to returning to the Who fold where he would be met with open arms by the fans.

He can’t be that ‘artsy fartsy’ though if he appears in utter bobbins movies like GI Joe….

His contribution to Doctor Who is immense.

5. avatar Geoff says:

I think he is an excellent actor, I’ve enjoyed so much of his work, especially Our Friends In The North (if you’d have told me in 1995 I was watching the future Doctor and the future James Bond I’d have been blown away!). I also think he is a compassionate and thoughtful man. However I never really took to him as The Doctor, perhaps one series just wasn’t enough to get used to him which is a shame because being the sort of actor he is I doubt we will ever see him in the role again.

6. avatar STLShawn says:

An “Artsy Fartsy” actor can appear in GI Joe. I know plenty raging liberals working for various evil corporate empires because they have bills to pay. Many of them hide their views when busy at work.

Aaaaaaanyway. No, i don’t think i want to meet him in real life. He seems like he despises us DW fans, wants everyone to forget that he ever did DW and GI Joe, and,,,, I don’t know,,, he just seems like has issues that he needs to work out. Maybe a nice long trip, meet some real people, spend some time with others,,, you know,,,, broaden his horizons a bit.

7. avatar Lewis Seymour says:

Isn’t he playing an Elf Lord in the new Thor movie? A Northern Elf Lord, of course…

8. avatar TonyS says:

I have seen clips of interviews where he has said that he is happy to meet fans, sign autographs etc. He doesn’t come across as despising fans. Okay, it would have been good to have had him in the anniversary special. Do we have his side of the story why he declined to appear? We fans can be a proprietary lot. Let’s remember that we do not own him. Cut the bloke some slack!

9. avatar Adrian Larson says:

Hello internet! I thought you’d run out of ways to make me sick. But hello again.
    Unbelievable or wow!
    I stand by my first statement. I LOVE him as the 9th Doctor and he still a pain in the $$$ or Artsy Fartsy Dude as I put it bluntly.

And I’m not giving him a fan-boy pass.

Yes, GI. Joe – I watch that movie before I was into Doctor Who. I liked that movie. Yes, Thor 2, I do know he’s in it. Thor was – meh.

You got to pay the bills somehow. Its very hard only though “art”.

10. avatar Bob James says:

Mature roles will most certainly come for an actor of Eccleston’s considerable talent, perhaps when he grows up.