Merchandise books-timetrips

Published on July 2nd, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Doctor Who Time Trips EBooks Announced

BBC Books has announced a new series of Doctor Who eBooks, known as Time Trips, the first of which will be released to coincide with the 50th anniversary.

books-timetrips

The announcement comes following the success of of the three tie-in eBooks, published last Autumn and earlier this year (The Angel’s Kiss, Devil in the Smoke and Summer Falls) and popular Doctor Who novels (from authors such as Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds, and Jenny Colgan) over the past couple of years.

Planned as a long-term series of books, Time Trips is intended to feature an exciting and impressive mix of high-profile commercial and literary writers, echoing the recent trend for the print novel series. Each eBook will be a 10,000 word adventure and authors confirmed so far include Nick Harkaway, AL Kennedy, Jenny Colgan and Trudi Canavan,

Says BBC Books Senior Editorial Director Albert De-Petrillo:

‘Time Trips is a project I have long wanted to do. There’s a unique affection for Doctor Who amongst writers and readers across genres and I can’t believe our good luck to have Nick Harkaway, AL Kennedy, Jenny Colgan and Trudi Canavan on the launch list.  It’s a truly formidable line-up, with more to come. This series really is taking Doctor Who fiction to a new level and I can’t wait for people to read these brilliant stories’

But what about the authors? AL Kennedy said

‘I was first introduced to Doctor Who when I was three or four and he has been a happy part of my life ever since. I am delighted to become in any way a part of his stories’

Jenny Colgan, also a lifelong Doctor Who fan (and author of 2012′s Dark Horizons):

‘It is such an honour to be part of the prestigous Time Trips line-up, with so many excitingly fresh perspectives on the Doctor’s life and adventures’ .

Nick Harkaway is a popular fantasy writer.

‘There is a list of calls you want and know you’ll never get. Joel Rubichon invites you to eat any time; Penelope Cruz needs a tango partner…and then someone calls and asks you if you want to write a story for a new BBC Books’ Doctor Who digital series. And that is the real thing and it feels every bit as fantastic as you would imagine. I’m sure the tango would be good too, mind you’

Following the release of the first book later in 2013 to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, further stories will be published throughout 2014, priced at just £1.99, with a print collection is following in 2014.

Tags: , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Doctor Who Time Trips EBooks Announced

1. avatar derekbd says:

I imagine others want to know what I do: which Doctors will be represented?

• We don’t know as yet, but there’s no reason why we shouldn’t see them all, is there?

• avatar TimeChaser says:

I would hope so. I’ve been miffed that BBC dropped practically any books using past Doctors when the new series started. I know at the time they wanted the focus to be on the TV series, but by now I think it would be nice to return to print adventures with past Doctors as well.

• avatar Al says:

You do know BBC Books has published several novels over the last couple years with past Doctors – Harvest of Time, Wheel of Ice and Shada. And the Puffin e-book novella series is coming out this year with one book per Doctor. I think we can safely assume they’ll feature other Doctors in this new set too as it doesn’t make sense to launch a “long-term” series like this just before they are set to change Doctors.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Yeah, one book once in a while. I’m talking about the days when we had an ongoing, monthly book series featuring past Doctors. One book once in a blue moon is not as satisfying. The only thing that makes losing an ongoing regular book series like that bearable is the existence of Big Finish.

• avatar derekbd says:

I love real books. I love ebooks. :)
            I look forward to a regular supply of new past doctor adventures. Mainly because, although there have been more of his than any other, I want more 7th Doctor novels. I am a greedy cuss.
            Cheers!

2. avatar Al says:

Not a fan of e-books, but they say there’ll be a print collection (like there will be ones for the others already released), so that’s fine by me.

3. avatar STLShawn says:

I had to really force myself to use e-books. I still prefer a good printed paper book, but i read from a droid pad every night, and sometimes during the day. It took an actual week of me going “no, i’m going to get used to this” and forcing myself to use it. Now i love it,,, but i still prefer paper for learning (scribbling in the margins).

Were there “past” doctor books in the past really? I mean of any real quantity, or did they keep it to “current” doctors + whatever was started before the “current” doctor of the time, such as a Pertwee book that was commissioned in late 1973 being released in 1975? I don’t really know, as all the books i purchased in the 80′s ,,,, in the US,,, were either old, used, or had the “current” doctor”.

• avatar derekbd says:

There are!
      In the mid-late 1990′s Virgin published what are known as the Missing Adventures featuring Doctors 1-6. BBC Books published their range of Past Doctor Adventures from 1997-2005 which was stories of Doctors 1-7 (with one 8th Doctor tale and a UNIT/Master book.) The quality of the stories within the 2 series varies greatly but there are many of them very much worth reading. Check out reviews as the [url=http://pagefillers.com/dwrg/frames.htm|Doctor Who Ratings Guide].
      [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Missing_Adventures]
      [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Past_Doctor_Adventures]

• avatar derekbd says:

Having a Kindle is a great for being able to read OOP books (such as the Virgin Doctor Who ranges) that I would not be able to afford to purchase on the resell market. Thankfully dedicated fans have transferred them all to ebook format and they are readily available on various torrent sites.

4. avatar TimeChaser says:

I was very reticent about using e-books as well, and I go back and forth sometimes, depending on what I want to read at a given time and what’s available as e-book or only in printed form (and e-books still don’t always have good editing, I’ve been driven mad by the level of errors in some books). But I keep using e-books because I find I actually read faster with them than paper books.