Doctor Who News Could Sherlock's Andrew Scott be Doctor Who #12?

Published on July 4th, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

Could Sherlock’s Moriarty Be Doctor Who?

Flicks and the City could not rest, Watson, no, they could not sit in their chairs if they thought for a second that such a man as Moriarty were walking the streets of London unchallenged.

So, microphone in hand, they took the next hansom to the premiere of Sam Mendes adaptation of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and did indeed challenge Moriarty himself, Andrew Scott, about rumours that he has cast covetous eyes on role of the Twelfth Doctor:

Well it’s a very flattering thing to be involved in all those discussions, but one has to wait to be asked those things.

He certainly should be in consideration for role even with the baggage of Moriarty after all he is a man of good birth and excellent education, endowed by nature with a phenomenal mathematical faculty…no, wait that’s Moriarty again.

He adds:

They’re very secretive. I know Mr Moffat very well so he’ll keep his cards close to his chest for as long as possible.

Check out the video of the ‘Napoleon of Crime’ where he discusses his potential return to Sherlock, his memories of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and his upcoming performance on stage with Joanna Lumley in two short plays by Harold Pinter.

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to Could Sherlock’s Moriarty Be Doctor Who?

1. heikoc says:

I can’t see it. He too has too high a profile in the broader fanbase of the moffat-wholock-complex. Maybe he could play the master, but the doctor,… I don’t think that would work well.

2. Ian Gettings says:

I know he won a BAFTA and all, but I was watching the final Sherlock with him in and I just thought he was chewing the scenery – it was so embarrassing to watch. I was gobsmacked when he won the award. I can concede that I could be wrong.

• TonyS says:

I sort of agree with you, Ian, but suspect that that is how he was directed to play the role. Moriarty was a psychopath and extremely camp (not necessarily gay, but camp). I have no strong feelings either way about him as the Doctor. Despite my misgivings about some of what has reached the screen in recent years, I do believe that Steven Moffat will get the casting right and am content to leave it to him. Especially as I am firmly convinced he has already cast the part.

3. rickjlundeen says:

This is the first casting suggestion that I could actually buy. I really wasn’t crazy about him as Moriarty at first but he grew on me. Also, whatever the likelihood, he’s got a type of odd look about him though that yeah, I think would work as the Doctor. Just got a feeling.

4. BongMong says:

Just imagine him with a Master style beard. Perfect. Not the Doctor though, we need someone a bit older this time. The trend must be reversed otherwise the 13th might have to fit the role around his school work.

5. TimeChaser says:

Having only seen him as Moriarty, I can’t see him as the Doctor. And it would feel sort of creepy, you know?

6. Scott says:

Oooooh! I think he might be really good as the Doctor.

7. lewis seymour says:

Never seen him so, just based on this interview I’d say the problem is that he is too like MS – and based on the past, there is always an effort (whether conscious or not) to make the Doc physically different from the previous one – dark to fair, tall to short and so on. My feeling is that this will continue – the next Doctor, whatever his age, is unlikely to be physically much like MS.

8. Hyncharas says:

Though I couldn’t tell you the name of number 12, I think the person has already been revealed.
    On the August issue of Doctor Who Magazine it displays David Tennant and Matt Smith, as well as a third individual. Though it’s really hard to tell who it is, there is a face there that may or may not hold the identity of the intended actor. However, I did manage to find a better image:

You know what they say – Moffat likes to hide things in plain sight.

• …that’s Matt Smith. Again.

9. Pingback: Doctor Who News Round-Up: Rory Kinnear Denies 12th Doctor Rumors, No Female Directors & Comic-Con Details | We Minored In Film