Doctor Who News David Tennant and David Morrissey in 2008's The Next Doctor

Published on June 3rd, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

Who’s Odds On For The Doctor?

Who’s the Doctor? Well, if early betting prices are to be anything to go by (and they’re not) it’s going to be Law & Order UK star Ben Daniels who is current 5/2 favourite with Skybet and accounts for 32.20 per cent of all bets taken.

Ben Daniels

Ben Daniels

Ben’s price has been cut dramatically from 6/1 ever since the book was opened on the Twelfth Doctor with other contenders for the TARDIS including the likes of Modred himself Alexander Vlahos, Quartermaster Ben Whishaw, enemy of spellchecker Chiwetel Ejiofor and OCD Vampire Damien Molony all hovering around the 12/1 mark with a selection of betting firms.

Starting with actors who have ‘form’ Billie Piper is currently 16/1 with both Coral and William Hill, Russell Tovey is as low as 8/1 with Coral, David Morrissey is 20/1 with Paddy Power, and, of course, David Tennant who‘s price ranges from 16/1 with Coral to 50/1 and drifting like a barge with Skybet.

Of course what you all really want to know is ‘What price can I get on Lenny Henry?’ Well, punters; grab your mortgage payment because Trevor MacDoughnut is currently at 100/1 with Skybet.

Former Doctor Who star Billie Piper

Just in case you have money to burn, other insane/ludicrous/tabloid choices include Simon Cowell (surely, he’s a shoe-in for The Master with the role of the Doctor to be filled by ‘good taste’) at 250/1 with William Hill along with Tom Cruise and David Beckham.

While taking up 3.90% of bets is non-other than Chelsea player professional scumbag John Terry, who is currently being Photoshopped into the back of every one of the Doctor’s victories at 500/1 with William Hill.

All odds taken from Oddschecker.com and correct at time of writing.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to Who’s Odds On For The Doctor?

1. TimeChaser says:

I hope we get to know who’s been cast soon, because I really can’t stand these ridiculous tabloid betting stories, because they always throw out some of the most ludicrous names.

I’m actually in tune with Christian and James in their podKast speculations: I think Ben Miller would be a good choice.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Surely they have to reveal it soon? We can’t go on like this for six months!!!

2. vortexter says:

I am convinced they already know who they want and we will know within the fortnight.

Nice shot of Billie!

3. Gary says:

Pity it couldn’t be John Simms. The Doctor could spend an entire season coming to terms with having to see The Master’s face in every mirror. He could be on the verge of a breakdown every episode, and his opponents would have to be polite in the hopes that they don’t wake up the real Master within.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Given his recent comments about Doctor Who fans, probably not a good idea!

• TonyS says:

I’m not sure he made those comments. I believe it was shown to be the press being less than completely forthright.

4. rickjlundeen says:

I hope they don’t announce it. I hope they pull off a surprise.

• TimeChaser says:

I don’t think they’d ever manage to keep it secret until the episode broadcasts. It will at least be in the news once they’re filming.

• Lewis Seymour says:

What chances of keeping it secret? They apparently wanted to spring Smith’s departure on us until a BBC email gave the game away, so chances are some twit at Broadcasting House would send an email out to someone saying “when Lenny Henry is unveiled as the new Doctor…” well before Christmas!

5. Robin Rowles says:

Alexander Armstrong of Pointless might be an interesting choice.

6. Terry Cooper says:

Well, I said it before and I’ll say it again : Adrian Lester (OBE) is a great choice of actor. nothign to do with ethnicity; he’s got the chops.

7. GallifreyanFallenAngel says:

David Tennant as 12th Doctor? Really? Just no. People really need to let go. He’s not going to play the 10th Doctor again not including anniversary specials by chance. Same with Benedict Cumberbatch. He’s likely to never play the Doctor.

However, even though I have never seen him act, I just like the idea of Ben Daniels for some reason. Well, I’m leaving the casting up to the production, not tabloids and fans.

• Lewis Seymour says:

I find it interesting that Ben Daniels has not come out and said this story is nonsense and he’s not the new Doctor – as Rory Kinnear has very definitely done.

8. Seeing Billie Piper on the list is bad enough, but Emma Watson? Really?

It goes something like this: Do you speak with a British dialect? Have you been on camera before? YOU COULD BE THE DOCTOR!

9. TimeChaser says:

I’ve started watching the first series of Death in Paradise, and I really do think Ben Miller would make an excellent Doctor. He could play it a bit irascible, kind of like early Colin Baker but not as loud.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Should we read anything into the fact that he has left Death in Paradise and won’t be doing an third series – is he preparing for something else…

• TimeChaser says:

Well Christian and James kind of read into that in the reactionKast. But who knows.

10. Amber says:

I have to say I’m not inspired by either Ben Daniels or Dan Stevens who are currently the shortest odds. If the Christmas special is filming next month I’m sure they’ll announce it then, they’d rather make a splash of it than have it leak out.

• Lewis Seymour says:

It’s been stated that the Christmas special is filming in September, as Matt Smith is in America (and needs to grow his hair back) – I think we’ll all get very fed up if it’s three months or more before we learn who the new Doc is. Anyone remember how long it took between Tennant announcing his departure and Smith’s unveiling?

• TimeChaser says:

I don’t remember exactly when Tennant announced he was leaving (I know it was at some rewards thing, maybe the BAFTAs? Whenever they were), but Matt was announced very early in February of 2009, I believe.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Looked it up – Tennant announced he was going in late October, and incredibly, it was Jan 3rd before they announced Matt Smith! Two months and a bit.

• Days, IIRC

11. Caity says:

Ooh! I hadn’t thought of Ben Miller before. He would be an excellent Doctor. but I understand that he is committed to a new series of Death in Paradise which takes 5 months to film, so it is unlikely to be him.

• Ian K McLachlan says:

But it was reported that Ben would not be doing Death in Paradise series 3.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Kris Marshall is taking over from him. Which is a pity.

12. drvwho says:

i would like to see the guy who plays gene hunt be the next doctor

13. Edwardian Cricketer says:

Cumberbatch would be a brilliant choice as a Doctor Who villain. Not sure he’s destined to stay in television for long, though. Hollywood calling…

If I thought for a second the ptb would do something crazy and go for it, I’d suggest Natalie Dormer as the Master. Not the Rani, mind; the Master. After seeing her performance on Elementary, I’m convinced she could pull it off.

I don’t think any well-known name would be interested in being tied down to such a possibly career changing role as the Doctor. It is my opinion, it should be someone between his mid 30s and mid 40s.

14. Caity says:

I didn’t know that – thanks for letting me know. A shame, I loved him in that role.