Doctor Who Doctor Who's 2013 Logo

Published on June 4th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Twelfth Doctor Announced in July?

We’ve reported several names so far that have been suggested as a potential Twelfth Doctor – but with the Radio Times reporting that Matt Smith’s successor could be unveiled next month, perhaps that is the confirmation we’ve been waiting for that the deal has already been done…

For those of your who don’t know your Ben Daniels from your Paul Daniels or your Ben Millers from your Alexander Armstrongs, speculation at this point can prove to be meaningless and fruitless, unless you get the feeling that the guy you’re watching is something special. I’ve had that feeling on four occasions in the past 15 years, and with each I subconsciously picked a future Doctor.

And one Master.

The Radio Times’ source claims that

“The search has begun in earnest and is active now.”

However given the increasingly tabloid tone of the website and magazine since being sold off by BBC Worldwide, we’re genuinely not certain whether we can believe that. But on the other hand, that same source apparently told the Radio Times that it would be impossible to keep the identity of the successor under wraps with the Christmas episode due to shoot in September.

Especially if Matt has already recorded his scenes.

After all, that was quite a haircut

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to Twelfth Doctor Announced in July?

1. avatar rickjlundeen says:

I’m hoping they don’t announce it. Especially if it’s already been filmed—why not keep it a surprise? and for god’s sake, don’t announce it on a Saturday……. :)

2. avatar vortexter says:

I said they knew who it was and would be announced sooner rather than later. I like your idea rick of having a surprise regeneration but they cant seem to keep secrets anymore. They missed a trick when the 10th was shot by the Dalek and started to regenerate. What a shock and such a shame there wasn’t a new Doctor there and then.

3. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Thing is, they may have already filmed the regeneration and if that’s the case, they’ve already kept the secret. They managed to keep Catherine Tate’s appearance at the end of series 2 a surprise so I’d think they can do it again here. It’s difficult but I don’t think impossible…..

4. avatar Tom says:

So is everyone really totally super confident that Matt doesn’t regenerate before the Christmas Special, and if so why?

5. avatar vortexter says:

Super confident? No!. I think he will regenerate in the anniversary special myself but I would take that with an even bigger pinch of salt on Mr Sweet can handle. If so, then there’s a lot to squeeze into the 50th so I hope it is feature length as its going to need it. What do we know about the 50th so far? At least two Doctors, John Hurt, Zygons, (Daleks and Cybermen maybe) Coal Hill school and Totters Lane and paintings and a possible regeneration and a new Doctor. It needs 90 minutes at least if that’s the case.

P.S I hope Matt does get the Xmas episode as one last episode devoted to him is totally appropriate so I hope I am proved wrong.

6. avatar Ian says:

I thought Matt was coming back to start filming his final story.soon. His hair is growing back :) See here.. http://www.justjared.com/photo-gallery/2874884/matt-smith-ben-mckenzie-peabody-award-winners-02/

• avatar TimeChaser says:

He just looks so out of proportion without the trademark floppy hair.

7. avatar vortexter says:

It had better grow a little more, they start filming next month!

• avatar Noe Valechola says:

Ever heard of toupees?

8. avatar Geoff says:

Steven Moffat must be so fed up, he trys to give us an exciting finale and someone sends out a few hundred DVDs early, he try’s to keep Matts exit a surprise and someone puts it out in an all users frigging email! Personally I’m gutted because it’s taken us 7 years to get the Doctord face back in the opening titles and now they’re changing it again, I hope the new face is featured. Promise me the face and you can cast Iain Krankie as The Doctor and Jimmy as his plucky assistant for all I care!

9. avatar rickjlundeen says:

I thought they weren’t filming the Christmas special until September, in which case, his hair would be back. If they are indeed filming next month, I’d say Smith won’t be in it or perhaps he already filmed his scenes for it. No way he films without the signature hair and a wig just wouldn’t cut it, I’d think.

• avatar GlassworX says:

Not implying that he is coming back to film but if he does and his hair isnt fully grown , Im pretty sure that the hair/make up department can pull it off. He wore extensions in some parts of series 6.

10. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Here’s food for thought: in the Gatiss movie about the creation of the show, they’ve recreated the original console room for the Tardis. How awesome would that be to have the new Doctor go back to the original console room?

11. avatar TimeChaser says:

I’ll admit the idea of keeping the next Doctor a surprise til the final moment is nice. Nice, but naive and unrealistic in this age of the internet. Its bound to get out before then, so why not just have a time to announce it? Frankly I’d rather have it sooner than later to save my frazzled nerves and end the stupid betting in the papers.

12. avatar Howard Railton says:

Tom Baker and all the rest were announced ahead of filming and often had photocalls. I’m personally a fan of New Doctor Day, having a programme where it’s announced properly on TV, get em watching and show with some nice clips of regenerations, perhaps including the newly animated Tenth Planet and put the new Doctor in context of the show’s longevity.

Oddly, the only thing I think Moffat got right in his era was casting Matt Smith. Whether he’ll let us down this time remains to be seen but I doubt the news will stay secret for long once scenes are filmed so, better to control the presentation of that news rather than leave it to agents and tabloids to do a number on it.

13. avatar Andrew G. Dick says:

July can’t come soon enough. Some of the daft suggestions out there are grating. It would be pretty tough to keep it a secret and if they start filing series 8 in the autumn, they might as well.

14. avatar Tom Earl says:

Why can’t we just have John Hurt? Damn it, John Hurt with a really epic story arch. Someone get me RTDs home address, I’m not above begging… :-)

• avatar TonyS says:

I doubt RTD has any more control over it than we do :)

15. avatar Jon Roberts says:

If I recall Matt Smith was announced about 8 months before the New Years day episode, so to be honest it really dosnt matter if they tell us now or in December, it wont change whats already waiting for transmission.
    To be honest I would prefer to know now and get it out of the way and enjoy Matt’s last two stories.

16. avatar TimeChaser says:

I’m wondering… If they do plan to announce who it is in July, this might point to them filming the Christmas special over the summer and then starting on Season 8 in the fall. I know they’ve said in the past that they wouldn’t start filming on the new series til next year, but since Matt has said he was staying through next year and that turned out to be not true, everything else we’ve been told about the filming schedule could be suspect.

They have to announce it soon. I’m starting to get paranoid. Moffat may be watching…

• You’ve seen Time Leech?

Moffat’s watching, all right…

17. avatar TonyS says:

Stephen Mangan tweeted about a load of missed calls from Steven Moffat. It is just possible he wasn’t being totally serious.

18. avatar Hyncharas says:

I think we can be certain that none of the people who’ve already appeared in the show will become Number 12. The rule has only been disregarded in respect of actors who assume a character for a single episode, only to return as a companion to accompany the “lead”, but for a one-time role to suddenly reappear as the 12th Doctor would be unprecedented, thus unlikely.