Doctor Who News Rory Kinnear 2

Published on June 5th, 2013 | by Meredith Burdett

Rory Kinnear Favourite to be Doctor

Another day dawns with another batch of fresh rumours concerning the casting of the Twelfth Doctor. Don’t get us wrong; this is a very exciting time for Doctor Who, a fresh start with a new Doctor and a new set of adventures like nothing we’ve ever seen before but it has to be said that there’s no use in believing the papers regarding the casting decisions too much, as they seem to be mentioning any old actor that’s good at his job.

The latest favourite for the role, according to the Daily Mirror is 35 year old Rory Kinnear, son of the late and great Roy Kinnear (1965’s Help).

Rory Kinnear

Now, Rory Kinnear is a very good actor (who also looks like he’s related in some way to Toby Hadoke) but first and foremost, he’s just too busy to take on a full time job like such as the Doctor. He’s not only in high demand but is also contracted to play Chief of Staff Tanner in the James Bond franchise, something that he’s not likely to give up any time soon seeing as Bond just became a Billion Dollar franchise.

There’s also the new ‘rule’ regarding Doctor Who that the actor who plays the Doctor shouldn’t be too high profile because of what Matt Smith has achieved after being a relatively unknown actor:

Playing Doctor Who is a big deal and there are some big names being talked about, but producers worry about bringing in a well-known star because viewers may struggle to see past their previous roles.

While the actor playing the Doctor needs to have talent, it doesn’t necessarily mean that he can’t be a big name; if Derek Jacobi, for example, landed the role, you know he’d be fantastic.

But what do you think? Would you like a well known name to fly through the universe in the TARDIS, or would you prefer an unknown actor to take the role and make it his own?

Tags: , , , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

18 Responses to Rory Kinnear Favourite to be Doctor

1. zarbisupremo says:

The Bond films were a billion dollar franchise while Pierce Brosnan was Bond.

Anyhoo, slow news day at the Daily Star as their front page announces in big letters that Paris Jackson is in the running to be the 12th Doctor…

2. Spacephantom says:

I think there are advantages and disadvantages both ways.

Yes, A fairly young, previously unknown actor might be easier for viewers (especially younger viewers) to identify with as the Doctor, without carrying any baggage from previous roles, would probably be more likely to bring a new, fresh approach to the character and would most likely come cheaper for the BBC than a well known actor. On the downside a relative unknown is more likely to take some time to find his feet in the role, and also would be more likely to use his new found fame as the Doctor, as a stepping stone to further his career, and may want to move on to other things fairly quickly.

An older actor who is already well known, with a proven track record, may be more likely to likely to nail the role right away and be fantastic from the very beginning (Jon Pertwee, Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston spring to mind). Again though, a well known actor who is already in great demand, may not want to spend too much time in the role (Eccleston), but like Pertwee (or McGann in the Big Finish audios) could be willing to play the Doctor for a considerably longer period if the deal is handled well, they have some freedom to do other things, and of course, if they are paid well enough.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Of course it does not automatically follow that an older actor would be “well known” – a good older actor may be one of those faces you know, but names you don’t – when I first heard Ben Daniels name I had no idea who he was but then I saw pictures and remembered him from something he’d been in (the fact that I remembered him saying something). Character actors in particular aren’t necessarily names – but they can be very good. There is talk of a Doctor even younger than Smith was when he started but I hope this isn’t true. Moffat said his original plan in 2010 was to cast an actor in his 40s, and I hope this happens now – even older would be nice, though I suspect unlikely.

3. lozzer says:

I find that I’m no longer excited by a new regeneration – I’m terrified! Every time I think about it I’m filled with fear – I don’t believe for one second most of the rubbish printed in the news papers – Paris Jackson haha, but, I’m terrified that fans are starting to come around to the idea of The Doctor changing sex. I can’t get my head around this idea, I love the Doctor for ‘who he is’, pun intended. Please, lets just get the new Doctor announced – I want to relax and stop worrying about the well-being of the character I have loved ever since I started watching the show as a child in the 70′s. Of course, I have other more real issues to keep me concerned, but when you truly love something you can’t help but worry – I’ve got a feeling the day is coming where I will have to say “I’m sorry, you’ve changed, I don’t recognize the man you used to be…”

• TimeChaser says:

I feel the same way. I’m just going to be a fidgety wreck (on the inside mostly) until they announce it and put us out of our misery.

• Scrappy says:

Me too I was very excited for the change but after reading ideas ie make him a her, make the show darker, make him a big name actor I am now nervous. I don’t want them to change the show I love too much.

4. Jeremy says:

I hope that Paris Jackson is not going to be in it,

• zarbisupremo says:

Don’t you worry your pretty wee head, Jeremy, I’m sure the Daily Star were just desperate for sales. In the event of her going anywhere near Cardiff, Ayatollah Levine would declare a fatwa on her, spurring the fanatical, scarf-wearing, anorak-clad section of fandom into taking preventative action.

• Lewis Seymour says:

There is absolutely no way that the BBC would entrust their biggest moneyspinner to a 15 year old American girl with no acting experience, so don’t worry.

• Spider-pope says:

Given that the poor girl has just attempted suicide by slitting her wrists, i don’t think she will be taking on any roles any time soon.

5. TimeChaser says:

I agree that it would be a mistake going for someone who’s too big a name right now, or at least someone who has a role in something else so high profile as James Bond. But that doesn’t mean they have to cast an unknown. They can cast someone who’s had some years experience in the acting business already, who also has the qualities they feel make him good in the part. Frankly I think this is an opportunity like the transition from Tom Baker to Peter Davison: get someone who’s already established with the public in some way, but in this case reversing the age to someone a bit older.

• Lewis Seymour says:

At the time, 1981, I was very annoyed at the casting of Davison – he was too young, and too well know in other roles (which he didn’t give up while doing DW) – I wanted Nigel Hawthorne! There was a week in 1982 when Davison was on every night, and only two of them as DW – it was very difficult to believe in him or feel he really was the Doctor when a day later he popped up in “Sink or Swim” or “All Creatures” with his hand up a cow’s bum! Now, watching his stories on DVD, I can appreciate his Doctor much more and think a great deal more of him than I did. I wouldn’t really want an actor who was very well know coming in – Idris Elba for example, who is coming up in a new series of “Luthor” and has the Wire behind him – it would be difficult to see him as anything other than an actor in a part. It would be better to have a Doctor who has as little baggage as possible, at least as a star.

6. David F says:

James Bond’s the least of the obstacles. It’s a few weeks’ work for Kinnear, every three years. It would be no barrier to his involvement in Doctor Who. Bond is only being mentioned because it’s famous, but I’m sure he regards it merely as an occasional sideline to his main career, which is on stage and in a wide variety of TV shows. He doesn’t need Who and I’m certain he won’t be in the running. Which is a pity, as he’s great.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Hasn’t he denied categorically that he has any interest in the part anyway? This could, of course, be a smokescreen!

7. Lewis Seymour says:

There’s been a sudden surge of betting for Chris Addison in the last few hours. William Hill has him as joint-favourite with Ben Daniels now!

8. Jon Roberts says:

Anyone who is deemed a favorite will never get the role, they never do. So that actor that gets the role will not be on the list at the bookies.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Matt Smith was third on the list at bookies last time, if I remember correctly, after a surge of betting in the last week. Given that everyone and their dog is on the list, I’d be surprised if the new Doc isn’t on one of them, though quite possibly no where near the top. Having said that, I’ve noticed that Colin Salmon doesn’t appear to be around, which, given a lot if fans have backed him over the past couple of years, is odd.

9. Lewis Seymour says:

Sam West – who I mentioned in another thread – has thrown his hat into the ring in an interview: Speaking to RadioTimes.com on the set of series two of Mr Selfridge, the actor revealed his lifelong ambition to play the Time Lord. “If you’re asking whether I’d like to play Doctor Who, I absolutely would. I’ve always wanted to play Doctor Who. Hamlet and Doctor Who – and I’ve done Hamlet.”

Tomorrow’s favourite at the bookies?