Doctor Who dw-lennyhenrydoctor

Published on June 4th, 2013 | by Meredith Burdett

More Twelfth Doctor Who Favourites

So, now the initial dust has settled regarding the departure from Doctor Who of you-know-Who, the internet, fandom and most of the world are talking furiously about who will be the next person to take the keys to the TARDIS.

Bad Wolf 2

Rumours are rife, suggestions are everywhere and heated debates regarding the Doctor’s gender are probably causing internet servers worldwide to crash or at least have IT specialists consider creating a dedicated server just for Doctor Who news pages.

There are some good names floating about (Paterson Joseph) and some ridiculous suggestions (Billie Piper, David Tennant). However, the name that seems to be causing plenty of waves at the moment is one Ben Daniels but that might be because of website Bleeding Cool!

When booking initially opened for the next Doctor courtesy of SkyBet, Daniels was given odds of 50 to 1 that he would become the Twelfth Doctor. After Bleeding Cool ran an article stating that the actor was their personal favourite, the odds were almost instantly cut to 20 to 1 and then dropped even further finishing at 6 to 1. Now that’s a powerful website, one that can suggest an actor and create a ripple effect that hits the betting shops.

D

However, as this is the first week that The Search for the New Doctor started, it could be anyone; anyone at all. Considering that last time this happened, lots of names were favourites before Moffat and his team found Matt Smith and created Doctor gold dust through his unique performance.

Also bear in mind that Rich Johnston, the writer of the Bleeding Cool article that inspired this post, was also the main online proponent in 2009 (as was Kasterborous) that suggested Paterson ‘where’s my money?’ Joseph was the favourite actor to take up the mantle of the Eleventh Doctor.

Look how that turned out…

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

27 Responses to More Twelfth Doctor Who Favourites

1. avatar dailypop says:

Thanks for the good work, guys!

I am thoroughly convinced that Paterson Joseph was cast (one of his co-stars on Survivors even referred to him as the next Doctor Who in a TV interview) but for whatever reason they went with Smith (whom I like a lot, don’t get me wrong). Bill Nighy was also cast according to the Sun (if memory serves) until Eccleston was revealed as the Doctor and I recall hearing a rumor that Sir Derek Jacobi did a test shoot as the Doctor in the early stages.

This is an interesting time when anything is possible (or someone entirely out of left field will step into the TARDIS as Smith had). back in 2008 when I polled fans, Piper topped the list… make of that what you will: http://dailypop.wordpress.com/2008/11/03/who-wants-more/

2. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

You can all stop your speculation. It has just been officially annouced by my daughter that her Daddy is the new Doctor and that she is Clara. I can’t believe she found out before any of us!!!

3. avatar Koth says:

Dear God! Please not Ben Daniels. Someone with more gravitas. Hugh Laurie is free at the moment how about him?

• avatar SJM001 says:

Gravitas? Hugh Laurie?

• He was brilliant as Prince George, wasn’t he?

• avatar zarbisupremo says:

And Lieutenant George.

4. avatar Lewis Seymour says:

Patterson Joseph did audition and was one of the final three – with Matt smith and a n other (now said to be Russell Tovey) – supposedly Joseph was the no.1 choice until Smith gave a standout audition. I do like the look of Ben Daniels, but can’t believe they’d go for someone who will be 50 next year! I’d like to be proven wrong though. The fact that he hasn’t denied it is interesting (Rory Kinnear has been adamant in his denials – so it’s probably him!)

• avatar zarbisupremo says:

Jon Pertwee was 49 when he was announced as the 3rd Doctor.

• avatar Lewis Seymour says:

And Hartnell was 55, but that was a very long time ago – RTD and Moffat have both indicated previously that they’d be unlikely to cast an actor over 45, so if they do go for someone older it will be a reverse of previous policy (Patterson Joseph was 44 when he was being considered).

• avatar zarbisupremo says:

RTD said that he wouldn’t have an actor over 50, I’m not sure if the Moff ever said anything like that.

• avatar TonyS says:

I have a vague recollection of Mr Moff saying that the pace of filming would be too much for an older actor.

5. avatar Al says:

I still say they’ll go with someone we’ve never heard of before. I’ve never been impressed with Joseph – I did not like him at all in Parting of the Ways and have never seen him in anything else – so for me it’s probably just as well. But if it’s true that he was in the top 3 (didn’t Moffat say an older actor was in the final running? That doesn’t sound like Tovey or Joseph to me – do we really, honestly know who was in the final round?) it just illustrates how a standout audition can change everything. Plus Joseph last I looked was committed to Law & Order UK. I don’t put much stock in odds making or polling – they were wrong with Matt Smith and they were wrong with Daniel Craig as Bond, too. Maybe when the time comes to select the Thirteenth Doctor they’ll build a reality show around it (So You Think You Can be The Doctor?)

• avatar Al says:

I just read the original Bleeding Cool article. I love these sites that make claims like “the actor was actually chosen back in January” and then offers no proof to back up those claims. They could just as easily have pulled Ben Daniels’ name out of their butts too…

• Maybe when the time comes to select the Thirteenth Doctor they’ll build a reality show around it (So You Think You Can be The Doctor?)

“So You Think You Can Time Travel” would be better, shirley?

• I’m a Time Lord, get me out of here

6. avatar zarbisupremo says:

I wasn’t so keen on Paterson Joseph at first, but then I remembered his performance in Neverwhere, and after seeing him in Survivors and Peep Show, I thought he’d be good, but not as good as Smiffy.

7. avatar Dr Hula Hoop says:

The smart money is on CHARLIE SHEEN!

• Where?

(Your bookie must love it when you turn up throwing money on rank outsiders ;) )

• avatar TonyS says:

One advantage with Charlie Sheen is that he has pretty much blown his Hollywood career and is unlikely to be jetting off there after a couple of seasons :)

8. avatar Kaled says:

What can I say Ben Daniels who would be great after seeing him in law and order uk, great gravitas, or a degeneration in to David Tennant, or me I think I would be great, but I am living in Stephens dreamland again

9. avatar vortexter says:

Nathan Fillion would be a great Doctor I believe.

10. avatar yorkshirened says:

The Bleeding Cool Ben Daniels thing is way out of hand. I’m hearing Richard Madden [Rob Stark in Game of Thrones/aka Mr.Jenna Louise Coleman]

11. avatar Paul Blume says:

Um, no, vortexter. He was great as Cap’n Mal and is fine as Castle, but…American.

12. avatar Wayne says:

It is my personal opinion that Matt Smith is one of the best Doctors to man the TARDIS….The problem seems to be…to me anyway, that the TARDIS with all of time and space to explore …is forever caught in a (sorry for crossing over here to mix metaphors) Corvalles Loop . A place where time for ever repeats itself . If the series is to survive it needs new adventures without ultimately falling back into the Doctor meeting up with Daeleks or any of the already tired old enemies of the Doctor!

13. avatar Jon Roberts says:

Paul Kaye, the obvious choice, he will even get Victor Chandler to do the odds.

14. avatar TonyS says:

So are we definitely ruling out Charlie Sheen, then?

• avatar Wayne says:

Most possibly true….but there is …..a much darker…more sinister possibility but even the Brits seem to hate him as much as the American’s who watch Doctor Who …..Pearse Morgan anyone?