Doctor Who News The Cybermen first appeared in 1966's The Tenth Planet

Published on June 13th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Lost Episodes Rumour Comes Alive

Last November we became aware of the possibility that lost episodes of Doctor Who had been uncovered. Today the first website to publicly break the news was Bleeding Cool.

Now, you don’t simply announce that lost episodes from the 1960s have “turned up”. Other websites have done this in the past and been rightly ridiculed for it.

We’re not yet certain which episodes have been uncovered or where, but Bleeding Cool mentions both The Tenth Planet and Evil of the Daleks – which isn’t quite what we’ve heard but is welcome nevertheless.

How this pans will prove interesting in Doctor Who‘s 50th anniversary year – it’s just a shame that yet another major leak has occurred…

Tags: , , , ,

47 Responses to Lost Episodes Rumour Comes Alive

1. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Is this true? If it is then it must be Christmas. But then that means I’ve totally missed the 50th Anniversary Special! Mixed emotions!!!

2. avatar koth says:

This is something that can be leaked and confirmed at the earliest possibility, especially in an anniversary year.

3. avatar Digitaljej says:

This hasn’t got anything to do with Rogue Cyberman has it?

• Not that we’re aware of.

Of course, that doesn’t mean he won’t claim any glory…

4. avatar John S. Hall says:

I thought it was “Evil of the Daleks” that was mentioned, not “The Daleks’ Master Plan”?

• Cheers for spotting that John.

5. avatar TimeChaser says:

If it was true, then it would be nice to have a complete Tenth Planet without animating Episode 4.

• avatar Lewis Seymour says:

If they were supposed to have found these eps last year, and they did include Tenth Planet 4, then why animate it in the first place? (had they already begun work on it then? I can’t remember, but I don’t think so).

• avatar Al says:

It depends on when (or if) Episode 4 was found. These things are prepared far in advance (in several cases we’ve seen actors die in the years between recording commentaries and the episodes actually coming out). Ep. 4 might have been completed by the time the episode was found, or far enough in progress they let them finish the work (they’re paying for it anyway). That Bleeding Cool article suggests they might have only created those brief preview clips as a false flag. One other thing – just because an episode is recovered doesn’t mean it’s in good enough shape for DVD release. If the film/videotape has deteriorated or been damaged enough, they could still include the recovered Ep. 4, but the animated version might be necessary in order to allow viewers to actually follow the story to its conclusion.

6. avatar TonyS says:

Blimey! They seem to be saying that loads of episodes will be shown. Now that would make the 50th anniversary complete. Dare we hope?

• avatar Lewis Seymour says:

I am afraid that I do not believe a word BC say – I suspect they just make up whatever they want!

• avatar Al says:

Not necessarily shown. Assuming the rumour is true for a moment, we’re more likely to get an announcement, and maybe something like Evil of the Daleks, but I’d expect they’ll use the missing episodes to keep the DVD line going into 2014 and 2015. Interesting to note that nothing has been said about the one recovered episode of Underwater Menace getting a DVD release soon — maybe that’s another story that was recovered?

• avatar Philip Bates says:

Excellent point. That would be awesome to see!

• avatar TonyS says:

It’s not often that Underwater Menace gets called awesome

• avatar TonyS says:

another word starting aw maybe

7. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Christian, I read they mentioned Troughton’s Evil if the Daleks and possibly “the full Hartnell”, all of his eps which would of course also contain the DMP if true. This really is in the “too good to be true” category but at the same time, this seems to have more traction than any other rumour. One of the best possible anniversary presents to be sure. Fingers crossed!

That being said, all I can really say is, my comic version of the DMP had a better Special Effects budget and I think I made Mavic Chen’s office decoration a *little* cooler. :)

• Ah, you’re right Rick – I wrote the article on my phone in Frankie and Benny’s, so apologies all for any errors that crept in!

8. avatar Lewis Seymour says:

Why wouldn’t the BBC simply announce this? The idea that they are waiting until November doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Like the rumours about the new Doctor, I will believe it when I see it.

9. avatar joesiegler says:

That’s an interesting point. If Tenth Planet Ep4 has actually been recovered, one would imagine it would delay the DVD release of that. They’d probably have to VidFIRE the recovered episode, and then probably stick the animation on there as an extra. I mean, it’s completed by now (one would think). Couldn’t hurt to slap it on there if the work’s been done.

10. avatar rickjlundeen says:

I think an interesting point here is that Christian, you said there were rumblings last November about this. Wisely, everyone kept mum about it but it still persists and keeps rising further up from the murky depths of rumourdom—- if we’re factoring that into the equation along with dual sources confirming this at Bleeding Cool, it does seem to look like this rumour has “legs”…..

11. avatar lozzer says:

Fingers crossed – could this be Steven Moffat’s seemingly unfulfilled promise that Doctor Who would hardly be off ours screens this year…? Very exciting, but trying not to get giddy until it’s confirmed.

12. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

Remember Tenth Planet part 4 went missing – it wasn’t wiped – so it’s always been a hope it would turn up. I hope this is true.

There have been persistent rumours for a long time of a cabal of self styled ‘uber-fans’ who secretly show the lost episode, which has always seemed unlikely. Perhaps the animated episode 4 is a smokescreen….seems just as unlikely too.

Any recovered episode is good news….but a full set of Evil of the Daleks? I loved that story, mainly from listening to the nineties BBC cassette of the audio.

13. avatar Ian Gettings says:

Comments have been closed down on the Gallifreybase due to the possibility any discussion could affect any potential negotiations for a return. But it is still just a rumour that may have gathered wings cos of the internet. I just hope that there is truth in it. But I am cautious as I guess everyone is. These things do come round. I just hope if there is some truth in it and the Beeb get them back, they will put us out of our “misery” asap. Either way.

14. avatar Ian Gettings says:

Oh and Jonathan Morris has been retweeted by Ian Levine as saying the rumours are “cruel, irresponsible bullshit”. So, if they know that puts the kybosh on it then. Oh well..

• avatar TonyS says:

IF they know that, yes. But for all their credentilals and connections, they still don’t actually know. Do they?

15. avatar GallifreyanFallenAngel says:

I suppose somebody will have to inquire the BBC about this alleged find. I’m having a bit of trouble believing this rumour.. Of course, I’d like to see the missing episodes be found as much as the next person, but just happening to stumble upon all of these episodes in the 50th anniversary seems too good to be true. Not trying to be cynical or anything, just saying what I think is true. Back to pinching salt now.

16. avatar Lynda B says:

The number of the episodes found in the rumor keeps changing, one was “bugger-all”, now it’s 60. And then it’s 44 somewhere else. If we get one, I’ll be happy. But this rumor has been around for awhile, so cross your fingers, maybe some of it is true.

• avatar joesiegler says:

My heart wants this to be what was reported. My head, however, tells me it is probably BS.

Heck, I’ll be happy with just ONE. And if I get to choose which one – it’s quite clear. Power of the Daleks Episode 1. We need to see the flip side of the Hartnell/Troughton regeneration.

17. avatar David F says:

Someone who worked for lots of different TV stations across a whole continent? And collected tapes from them all? Who is only just cashing in on it now? Seems a little too convenient to me. Dearly hope it’s true, though.

18. avatar rickjlundeen says:

They probably all do exist, are in this guys’ possession and he knows exactly what they’re worth to the BBC and the fans, is asking for a ton of money…..which the BBC may or may not pay. Wouldn’t *that* be something…

• avatar Lewis Seymour says:

Aren’t they the property of the BBC? – so if someone had them and refused to give them back, wouldn’t he be guilty of theft?

• avatar Gareth Kavanagh says:

The physical film prints belong to the presumed owner, the content to the BBC.

• avatar Lewis Seymour says:

But he’s not the “owner” – if I understand the rumour correctly, he worked for companies that bought the eps and kept them when they were going to be junked – so he never bought them and can’t really claim ownership.

However, this is all academic as I really think this is just nonsense. Next thing you know they’ll be claiming a James Bond star is the next Doctor. Oh, wait…

19. avatar Caity says:

Oh, if only this was true! But the cynical part of me keeps thinking, life is not that miraculous and it’s a bit iffy that this is happening in the 50th anniversary year. One recovered episode I could believe and be ecstatic about, but the amount that is being talked about? Nope, sorry, don’t believe it. I’m afraid that we are all going to be disappointed fairly quickly.

20. avatar Howard Railton says:

I already keep everything crossed that something like a great discovery of missing eps will happen but it does make it hard to walk!

21. avatar Gareth Kavanagh says:

I think it’s probably cobblers on the basis of the episodes selected. Evil of the Daleks was barely sold anywhere in the world, same for Tenth Planet. It’s cruel rumourmongering to tie in with some excellent work underway in Africa and the 50th. There hasn’t been one rumour that’s actually led to a recovery, aside from vague mentions in DWM of a sighting of Tomb of the Cybermen in 1978 in an early 1991 DWM that presaged a discovery.

22. avatar authorman94 says:

While I still don’t know whether to believe this is true, a part of me wishes it was, if nothing to see more of one of my Doctor’s, Patrick Troughton, run since the audio tracks of the episodes made those episodes seem fantastic (especially The Evil of the Daleks). But until there’s an official confirmation, I’m a bit sceptical about this.

23. avatar zarbisupremo says:

Wishful thinking, I know, but I’d love it if they’d found the whole of Fury From The Deep.

24. avatar vortexter says:

I haven’t been this excited since Nyssa dropped her skirt in Terminus! Marco Polo! Complete! Possibly…Even if it isn’t true and there’s a chance it wont be then there’s nothing like a good juicy rumour. I’ll save my enthusiasm until a proper announcement is made but I really want it to be true..

25. avatar rickjlundeen says:

And yet even with all this controversy, no announcement from the Beeb denying it. Or confirming it. Ah well. Won’t get my hopes up.

26. avatar Barry says:

Its not a rumour – it’s completely accurate. A mate of mine did some delivery work for the cleaning up of episodes 5 and 6 of ‘Evil of the Daleks’.

He’s told me that this and other episodes will be released gradually over next few years on DVD beginning this Christmas. Before that there’s going to be a surprise episode sneaked into a box set in June and two episodes of something else will also be televised during the anniversary weekend.

I did ask him about ‘Power of the Daleks’, but sadly this is not among the recovered episodes.

• avatar Mark Abernathy says:

You mean the boxset that people have already received for media review and they all said there was no missing episode on it?

27. Pingback: Reaction To Those Doctor Who Lost Episode Rumours – Bleeding Cool News | The Fanatics

28. Pingback: MISSING EPISODE RUMOUR CAUSES TIME WAR | Planet MondasPlanet Mondas

29. avatar rickjlundeen says:

When I heard it was Rich Johnson from Bleeding Cool that was behind this latest speculation, I admit it dashed a lot of hopes. His record has been spotty at best in the past, so I hold out even less hope now.

30. avatar peter says:

I dont believe it. this container supposed to have arrived here in 2011. If the bbc had this, we would know by now. its just tosh. 106 is what is missing…and I suspect that will still be the amount missing by 31/12/2013.

Does lavine know or not? Does philip molesworth? Why dont they just give a straight answer. All this speculation isnt helping. Come on guys. Whats the truth??

31. Pingback: Why Doctor Who‘s missing episodes captivate us | Remote Wanderings