Opinion Doctor Who: Fish Fingers and Custard

Published on June 18th, 2013 | by Melinda Moo Sue

How Did YOU Meet the Doctor?

New contributor Melinda recalls how she encountered Doctor Who for the first time. Was it fate?

Let’s travel back in time a bit – something we’re all familiar with here – to September of 2012. Yes, it’s not that far off and many of you are probably thinking what a boring choice for time travel, but for me, this marks a life-changing moment. For this is when I met the Doctor.

Doctor Who: Fish Fingers and Custard

A year ago, I was a simple girl with no knowledge of the Doctor. Now, before you cringe and judge, remember I am a young, American girl and had no one to introduce me to this marvelous world. With that being said, it’s all still a bit of a mystery to me.

I first noticed Doctor Who when I was at a horror movie convention. Browsing through the rare DVDs, I came across a few different Doctor Who collections ranging from the 1960’s all the way to 2007. My intrigue was caught immediately as I pondered what phenomena this must be to have lasted so long in such a fickle society.

Most of the collections were homemade and the only information found were the titles of the episodes. I was only able to gather that this show had been around forever, there seemed to be several different “Doctors” and that it was a BBC program. So, with my own disobedient attention span, I sat the DVDs down and moved on to the next booth.

After that day, Doctor Who seemed to popping everywhere. My Netflix was constantly suggesting that I watch it, ads on FaceBook were promoting the series, Twitter was suggesting I follow Doctor Who pages. What was this show, and why was the universe pushing it on me so much?

About a month later, I had finished watching Heroes, and Doctor Who continued to taunt me. There were a few other shows I had wanted to dive into, but somewhere deep within, I knew I had to watch Doctor Who. It was beckoning me, calling my name.

And that is when I made my fateful click and watched Rose. I was hooked the moment the intro began. And was even more freaked out the second I saw that blue police box flying down the wormhole. Just days before, I came across a blue police box on Pinterest that someone had turned into a wine cellar. “What a marvelous idea!” I thought, and repinned it to my “Future Home” board. Little did I know, that was just one more sign reaching out. Oh, how I love synchronicity.

Back to my first episode, I immediately fell in love with the campy feel to it. It held a remarkable resemblance to another favorite show of mine, Eerie Indiana – a Nickelodeon program from the 90’s, I highly recommend it – and the odd, brilliant and somewhat rude Doctor. I couldn’t wait to watch another, and another. I wanted to wake my sister and force her to watch it – which I actually wound up doing the next evening; needless to say she was hooked right away, too.

In a matter of two months, I watched every episode and tracked down every Classic Episode I could find. I’ve recently just finished Torchwood – and what a tearjerker was the Season 3 finale, I was crying at my desk!

My life revolves around Doctor Who, and now my small little corner of New Jersey knows quite a bit about him thanks to my endless sputtering heart filled rants.

The Doctor and his blue box arrived in my home one day, and my life has never been the same. Now I want to know, how did you meet the Doctor?

Tags: ,

42 Responses to How Did YOU Meet the Doctor?

1. avatar gwylock1 says:

My first taste of the show was when I found an old VHS of “Inferno.” I mean, it was actually recorded direct from broadcast by my da! It had somehow escaped being recorded over, and I thought it was the spookiest, best thing I’d ever seen.

2. avatar heikoc says:

I started watching as a kid in the eighties. I guess my first episode must have been one from Paradise towers. Even tho I only ever got to see the seventh doctor until the start of the new series, and even tho I started with an episode that is considered one of the weaker ones by most, I quite liked it and watched the show ever since it was aired.
    It wasn’t until the new series aired, that I learned there were more doctors.

3. avatar Geoff says:

Great article. I met the Doctor in 1974 when I was three and he was about 720. He was nearing the end of his life and fighting some very big spiders with high pitched voices that scared me a lot. I don’t remember seeing him again until he was pretending to be a chauffeur and looked a lot different. I know now that story was Seeds of Doom. After that we met every week (except for the odd 18 month hiatus) until 1989 when he drifted off one way and I another. Needless to say I was waiting for him in 1996 and 2005 and on neither occasion did he disappoint, as he never has since.

4. avatar Emily says:

My sister wouldn’t let me out of her room until I watched one episode. So I finally said ok and watched one with Matt Smith. After it was done I was like ok lets watch another.

5. I watched it back in the early eighties as a wee lad, when a Dutch broadcaster ran season 20 (which, if I recall correctly, was the only series they aired in the Netherlands, which probably has something to do with the Arc of Infinity serial partly taking place in Amsterdam). None of it made any sense to me at the time, and for years I had this garbled recollection of an professor who had a telephone cell in his room, and when he got out, he was somewhere else. I had no idea what the hell was going on, but it was science fiction and they showed it on the same afternoon as Buck Rogers, so I watched it all the same.

The first thing I saw after that was The Time of Angels, when I was visiting friends in Sheffield, England, and I’ve been mad about the show ever since. Bought and watched all the new series in less than a month, and am gradually working my way through the classic serials at the moment.

6. avatar Kurohawk says:

In 1985 I was handed a book by a favorite teacher–”Doctor Who and the Loch Ness Monster” in the Pinnacle edition (with the pot-stirring introduction by noted curmudgeon Harlan Ellison). I was instantly drawn in by it, and soon enough my brother and I were begging our mother to let us stay up late on Sunday nights, when our local PBS station played omnibus-format versions of the TV series. (If memory serves, the first one we saw was “The Horns of Nimon”.) I’ve stuck with the series ever since, through thick and thin.

7. avatar Christine says:

Speaking of Dutch Broadcasters…they also showed some of the Tom Baker stories in 1975-1976 (notably Genesis of the Daleks, the Ark in Space, Revenge of the Cybermen, Terror of the Zygons, the Seeds of Doom, Planet of Evil, the Android Invasion, the Pyramids of Mars) but due to complaints from worried parents took it off the air pretty soon after that, and we had to watch the BBC. At that time only possible in the West of the Country. My introduction was at that time, and you can actually read all about the impact one of these Tom Baker stories had on my life in “You and Who, contact has been made, volume 1″ . As I was 9-10 years old at the time, needless to say that I didn’t remember the titles, mostly images and storylines, but when I much, much later saw them all again on DVD I surprised myself that I still remembered so much of the basic storylines – though generally I did miss out on quite a few plot points.

For good order: my parents weren’t complaining at all, as my brother and me did not have nightmares. In fact if I dreamed about the series, it would probably be by casting myself in the role of Sarah (Jane) Smith and advising the Doctor on how to defeat the monsters! Except for the cybermats of course, they really scared me at the time!

8. avatar authorman94 says:

For me, it was when I was five in 1999, and due to my burgeoning interest in science fiction thanks to “Star Wars” (please don’t judge me), I got a CD called “Out of This World: Space Themes” by a group called the Space Heroes Orchestra where they covered science fiction themes from TV and film in an electronic manner (I believe that one or two of their work is on YouTube or the internet since the CD has been out of print for years now) and one of the tracks was a re-done version of the Sylvester McCoy-era theme, which made me aware of the series.

But as for how I started watching the show full-time, it was 2004 and I was at a friend’s house, and he had that week, the DVDs of “The Three Doctors” and “The Five Doctors”. I watched both (making Jon Pertwee my first Doctor) and really enjoyed them despite the sometimes-lacking special effects and the bizarreness of them (I still think the revelation about Omega is one of the weirdest things in Doctor Who), so I learned more about the show. I learnt that the show was returning the next year, and tuned in the next year to “Rose”, and have been in love with the show ever since, with me becoming a classic fan and Big Finish fan over time.

9. avatar rickjlundeen says:

A summer day back in 1980. I was 18 years old and while puttering around the house, the TV was on and they started showing the first episode of the Tom Baker classic “The Brain of Morbius”. The intro and the music got my attention and within minutes I saw a dieing alien crawling across an alien landscape, this police box appear, some guy with a scarf and a hot little brunette named Sarah came out. Then there were more aliens, a floating brain, a monster and I was stunned. I kept asking myself “What the hell IS this?!” and I kept watching as the weeks went by.

A few months later, at a comic convention, I happened upon a small side room where they had some DW merchandise. There was a picture of 4 men side by side, the last on the right being Tom Baker. I asked the seller who the other three guys were next to The Doctor. He said “They’re ALL the Doctor”. He explained regeneration and the whole concept. I was hooked. Forever.

3 years later, the biggest gathering ever in America happened here in Chicago to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Doctor Who, with thousands in attendance and another 10,000 turned away they were so packed. It was a glorious weekend where I got to see Troughton, Pertwee, Baker and Davison all together on stage. It was just the beginning.

10. avatar TimeChaser says:

My family had already been watching it before I was born, but when I was bout 4 years old (sometime in 1985-ish) I was allowed to watch it for the first time. At that time, our PBS station aired it at 10 PM on Saturday, so it was a big deal to let a little kid like me stay up that late for something. I remember sitting in my dad’s lap, and watching Tom Baker in The Face of Evil. I probably didn’t stay awake, but it left an immediate impression on me, and since then I have become to super-Whovian of the family.

11. avatar Colin says:

I can honestly say, I don’t remember a time when I didn’t know what “Doctor Who” is. I don’t ever recall having to learn the word “TARDIS”, or having to ask my parents (or my older brother) what those funny pepper-pot things with toilet plungers are. The world of Doctor Who was just part of my culture, my environment growing up. My earliest memory of Doctor Who is the Third-to-Fourth regeneration–I would have been about 4 years old. I probably watched Doctor Who with my older brother every week through my early childhood (my memories of those days are increasingly dim), but I think my own personal attraction to the show came about in the late 70s. I remember watching “The Face of Evil,” looking forward to seeing the Doctor’s new assistant. “The Robots of Death” freaked me out–and I still consider it one of the best Doctor Who stories of all time (up there with “Blink”). And though my interest waned a bit when I went off to University (and the show went off the air), I’m still a fan, and ever-more obsessively since Who came back in 2005.

That’s my story. :)

12. avatar TonyS says:

I was born before the programme started. I was two when it began. I must have started watching a couple of years later. I can remember that I saw the Highlanders. I have been a fan of the programme for as long as I can remember and have been to some conventions. I have therefore met Jon Pertwee and Peter Davison in Birmingham in the early 1980s. I also met Colin Baker after he had appeared in Peter Pan in Torquay. They are all charming people but I really must single out Colin Baker who is a true gent and a splendid ambassador for the show. He could not have been more amiable to the fans who had gathered to see him and took time to chat to all of us.

• avatar TonyS says:

I also have autographs from Pat Troughton and Peter Cushing

13. I first met the Doctor on PBS in the 1970′s with the first episode with Jon Pertwee, and then went on to think Tom Baker was the greatest, had a crush on Peter Davison, but left it for a while because I didn’t like Colin Baker, McCoy I could take or leave. The movie Doctor was great. Then it was gone and next I found it on Sci-Fri with Chris E. and got back in and then life changed and I fell in love with David Tennant.

• avatar TonyS says:

Colin Baker’s portrayal of the Doctor was on the assumption that he would have time to develop the role and become more likeable. He also (as with Sylvester McCoy) suffered from a combination of extremely inconsistent stories ans a BBC management that just didn’t like the programme. Thankfully Big Finish has given them a second bite at the cherry and they acquit themsleves much better on audio. And as I say, Colin Baker is a thoroughly likeable chap.

14. avatar Joe Gandolfo says:

It was 1977 when I first met the Doctor. We encountered each other at a small UHF station in Southern California – channel 52 out of Corona I believe. The station used to show a lot of Japanimation shows in the late afternoon, Speed Racer and Kimba the White Lion among them. One day I had finished watching the usual cartoon fare when some strange music started up and a bunch of curious graphics came across my tv screen. It was the opening of the first Tom Baker serial “Robot”. I was then treated to the first 25 minutes of the 4th Doctor’s adventures in time and space as this channel showed the episodes in the original format.

I was hooked. That station showed the Doctor’s adventures up to The Invasion of Time when for some reason – they stopped. Eventually other things filled the vacuum that was created and I had moved on from the program. But I never forgot it…

Years later I encountered that madman in a box again on another UHF station – this time KCET 28 out of Los Angeles. It was a Saturday morning and I don’t recall the episode, but I do remember that it was all condensed into 90 minutes. I didn’t find out until some years later that they were called “Whovies”. This was in the mid-80′s, and when our family got a VCR I began to record all of the Doctor Who episodes that came on. Eventually I was able to get every episode from Jon Pertwee all the way through Sylvester McCoy.

Then it went away again.

Then he came back – once. Then he went away – again.

Now he’s come back – AGAIN.

But this time – he stayed! :)

15. avatar Jim says:

It was 1978. I was 8. It was an episode of Masque of Mandragora (Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen if u didn’t know). I used to watch a show called 321Contact on WTTW Channel11, the PBS station in Chicago. It was on at 5:00. Doctor Who was on at 5:30 M-F. It was the opening titles that drew me in. Been in love ever since :)

• avatar Marie M says:

I forgot it also was shown after 321 Contact! I loved that show too (with the Bloodhound Gang).

16. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I first met the Doctor during the 1992/1993 repeats on BBC 2. I was robbed of finding ‘MY’ Doctor because of the cancellation. But I was unexpectedly blessed with The Sea Devils, The Daemons, Genesis Of The Daleks, The Caves Of Androzani, Revelation Of The Daleks and Battlefield in quick succession followed by Planet of The Daleks and Pyramids Of Mars. How on earth could I do anything other than fall in love with this quirky little show.
    I have an earlier vague memory of the show. I remember sitting on my father’s lap and watching scary pepper pot machines dragging dead bodies through dark, terrifying corridors. I was convinced I had seen the Daleks. Imagine my surprise when I finally got to watch the VHS of Paradise Towers and realised that I hadn’t in fact seen Daleks in darkly lit corridors, but Cleaners whisking off Kangs and Tabby et al to The Great Architect. It was nowhere near as impressive as my 4 year old mind remembered it, but just to see it again put shivers down my spine so I will always love Paradise Towers and consider it my first Doctor Who story!

17. avatar David F says:

My earliest memory of Doctor Who is the end of Destiny of the Daleks, episode 3. I remember Romana being on a hill inside a glass tube. It was thirty years before I saw that scene again, and it precisely fitted my memory.

I don’t remember watching any of the following season and a half, although I’m sure I must have done so. Doctor Who established itself in my head with The Keeper of Traken and Logopolis, and then, during the break before the start of the Davison era, there were repeats of stories from previous Doctors, on BBC2, and The Three Doctors enthralled me with the idea that there had been actors other than Tom Baker, and one of them was Worzel Gummidge.

At around the same time, I happened to be in WH Smith when Elizabeth Sladen was doing a book signing (the first person-off-telly I ever saw in the flesh). I was too young to remember her time in Who, but I clearly understood that she’d been in it, and the link between a TV show and real life was so fascinating and difficult to comprehend that I became hooked on Doctor Who, feeling I had a personal connection.

But because I only caught the tail-end of the Baker years, I took against him for a long time. I always, weirdly, saw him as a usurper of Davison’s role, even though he’d come before. Maybe it was a reaction against all the slightly older people who said he’d been amazing. It was only in adulthood that I realised they were right.

18. avatar John Smith says:

How’d I meet MY Doctor… Well only one word… BARCELONA.
    But I have watched more episodes before and after… But the question is my Doctor;)

19. avatar Marie M says:

I first met the Doctor around 1978 on Chicago’s PBS station WTTW on a Saturday afternoon. My dad loves Sci-Fi and I remember sitting and watching this buggy-eyed guy with a super long striped scarf fly around in a blue police box with a very pretty girl. I was hooked and used to pretend our closet was the tardis and I would run around with a knit scarf around my neck. I watched it on and off with my dad until the mid 80s and kind of forgot about it. When the re-boot happened, I was too busy in life to notice until several of my friends were bugging me on Facebook to watch it. They knew I’d love it. My first reboot episode was sadly “Assylum of the Daleks” (I know I can’t believe I waited so long). I saw that episode and then went on a new Who bender for the next few weeks and first watched all of the 11th Doctor episodes starting at 11th Hour (to catch up), and then went back and started at “Rose” and finished all the rest. Now, as I sit here at my desk drinking coffee out of my disappearing/reappearing TARDIS mug and having Doctor Who sticky notes stuck to my monitor, I realize I am a full out Whovian. And I know I have passed down the Whovian tradition as I look at the picture hanging my son drew of the 11th Doctor and my son fighting evil alien raindrops.

20. avatar Rachel says:

Way back in time, before the bowtie, before the brainy specs or the accent, before even the howling wasteland where only the one with the comfy shoes popped up for 85 minutes and left us again, back into deep history, before the manipulator, the clown or the decorative vegetable was the scarf man. It was 1979, I was six and full of curiosity and excitement, it was love at first sight, how could I resist a madman in a box and his pretty sidekick who saved the day just as much as he did and all was good and scary, with some moderate hiding behind the sofa a few weeks later. Then later on came older Doctors, earlier Doctors, new monsters, old adversaries, a whole lifetime of fun and a constant companion as I grew older, I’m still not sure I’ve grown up sometimes ;)

• avatar TimeChaser says:

As Tom himself said, “What’s the point in being grown up if you can’t be childish sometimes?” ;) The Doctor speaks to the eternal child in all of us and keeps it alive.

21. avatar vortexter says:

I remember watching Destiny of the Daleks on a black and white portable a caravan on holiday and Davros scared the bejinkies out of me. And Tom Baker too who convinced me he was an alien and not an actor. I from the show properly from The Leisure Hive onwards and only missed one episode of Frontios when we were out and the timer on the video didn’t work (I cried like a baby and I cried even more the week before when Tegan left). We got our first video just before Arc of Infinity and my parents always made sure I had a tape to record the show onwards from then.

22. avatar Geoff says:

I know how you feel Vortexter, the only part of an episode I ever missed was Trial of a timelord part one. That’s right, 18 bleeding months of waiting and I missed the first 15 minutes of it. I curse that unexpected traffic between Luton Arndale Centre and the posh side of Dunstable to this day. There I was in the back of my Dads Viva Estate watching the minutes count down on my Casio calculator watch. It’s alright though I thought, I can still watch it on the video….wrong! We hadn’t set the timer properly so we got nothing. After 18 months and weeks of excitement and build up all I saw was a few minutes of Glitz and Dibber poncing about and Sixy getting carted off by a dodgy robot. Believe it or not I never saw that episode in full until the DVD release a few years ago.

• avatar vortexter says:

That was the thing Geoff! I was the only loner taping who back then in school and if you missed an episode then, that was it! These days you can get deleted stuff back from your digital set box but back then, telly was blink and you missed it. I remember they repeated The Visitation a few years after transmission and episode two had blank static for the first two minutes because a lead wasn’t in properly at the back! I must have lost a pound of skin pressing those big ‘piano keys’ on the video recorder the size of a suitcase trying to stitch episodes together on the reprise’s to get 2 stories on one 3 hour tape! The joys of being a whovian….

• avatar Geoff says:

Did you have a Who tape constantly on standby by the machine just in case a clip of Dr Who came on? The amount of episodes of bloody Windmill I endured on Sunday lunch times just to get a 30sec clip of Troughton era Who! Btw I was also the sole viewer of Who amongst my peers by the time Trial of a timelord came along. I share your pain!

• avatar vortexter says:

Yes and with the full support of my family who were ‘trained’ to watch out for the new series trailers whenever the show returned!

23. avatar DWFanPenn says:

My first exposure to the show’s a bit… ambiguous. I’m not 100% positive but I think I ran across one of the Jon Pertwee episodes on the local PBS station early on in my life. I only saw the opening credits… I was hooked on aliens at the time, and the eerie electronic nature of the show’s theme led me to believe aliens were involved, but once I saw more humans than aliens my tiny mind made me switch channels because I felt like I’d been had.

Fast forward to the year 2006 or so, and I’m seeing commercials for Series 4 on the Sci-Fi channel. It didn’t really capture my attention very much and I’d all but forgotten my exposure to the show early on in life — so much so I’m still not sure that event ever happened.

Fast forward another year or so, and I catch an episode from Series 2 on BBC America. I’d heard glowing remarks about the show from some friends of mine with whom I’ve since lost touch, and decided I’d give it a go.

It intrigued me. First there was the Doctor, who I learned was not called “Doctor Who” but just “the Doctor” very early on. It wasn’t quite clear to me yet that this guy wasn’t human… took another few episodes to establish that. When I saw the Daleks for the first time (and the Cybermen, because I was watching the two-part Series 2 finale) I thought it a bit ridiculous at first… but then the retro feel of those designs endeared them to me more.

The Tardis threw me for a loop. First, I had no idea what a “Police Public Call Box” was, and then seeing that this thing was bigger on the inside was a “mind=blown” moment.

The show having made an impression on me, I started researching it on the Internet. Fast-forward to now, and I’m VERY devoted to the show — I’d been a life-long Star Trek fan but Doctor Who now holds priority for me. :)

Bit of a novel, I know, but that’s my story.

24. avatar Edwardian Cricketer says:

They say the memory cheats. I think mine sometimes outright lies… To the best of my recollection, I met the Doctor when I was about 11 years old, around 1981. It was probably in the summer as I can recall sitting in front of the television at my paternal grandmother’s house in Jackson, Mississippi, watching the afternoon programs on PBS with my sister who is three years younger. We watched “Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood”, “Sesame Street”, “The Electric Company”, and “3-2-1 Contact”. And then this other show came on, one with electric theme music and an intro that had stars streaming toward you. I can vaguely remember watching episodes of “The Leisure Hive”, “Meglos”, and “Full Circle”. I don’t think I saw all of any of them at the time but I had absolutely fallen in love.
    My somewhat errant memory wants to tell me that the next episode I saw as part one of “Robot”. What a difference! I think I got to see all of Tom Baker’s run but I don’t remember at what point PBS started over again…
    I started reading the Target novels within the next year only they were reprints from an American publisher, Pinnacle. I bought my first three at a book fair at my high school’s library. I bought “Genesis of the Daleks”, “The Masque of Mandragora”, and “The Seeds of Doom.” I thought I’d done well when I had all ten of those. Then a friend and fellow “Doctor Who” fan showed me the handful of actual Target novels he’d bought. At the next opportunity I had to visit the bookstore, I got a real taste of mind freeze upon seeing all the books available. I simply could not make up my mind what to buy with what little money I had. Those books became some of my best friends.
    I don’t recall just exactly when I got the news that “Doctor Who” had been, for all intents and purposes, cancelled but I was heart-broken. It was like breaking up with a girlfriend or your best friend. I remember how excited I was over hearing that a new made-for-tv movie was coming and being bitterly disappointed with it. My feelings toward the telemovie have since mellowed. I’d also had somewhat mixed results with the various book series that filled in the gap and I was somewhat apprehensive at the news of a new series. Imagine my ecstasy after seeing “Rose” the first time. My old friend was back!
    I’ve dedicated over thirty years of my life to a television show and I’ve known forever that “Doctor Who” isn’t strictly science fiction or is it strictly for children. “Doctor Who” is and always has been and hopefully always will be a concept; an ever-changing, ever evolving concept. I think that’s what’s always kept me watching, never knowing but being excited about what’s coming next. Oh, and that fantastic, beyond imagination, bigger-on-the-inside, space/time traveling machine in the shape of a police pubic call box.

25. avatar G says:

My friends were absolutely obsessed with the show. They would show me pictures, quote it around me, and eventually I started picking up some stuff, but the whole thing confused me. So one day, my friend texted me and said “There’s a Doctor Who marathon on BBC America!” So I gave in. I forever my family to give me control of the remote and started watching in the middle of The Rebel Flesh. Needless to say, I was very confused by the end of the episode, but I had already fallen in love with Amy, Rory, and the Doctor. And what’s the cure to Confusion? Watch more, of course! Throughout the day I watched quite a few episodes. Then a commercial caught my eye. I saw the Doctor carrying A limp Amy Pond through a lot of sparks and weird looking metal things. “Series 7 premiere tonight!” Said the announcer. Since I would miss the first showing, I begged to stay up and watch Asylum of the Daleks at midnight. I did, and was fascinated. I didn’t really know what a Dalek was, or I think I’d have been more terrified, but I understood that they hated the Doctor and the feeling was mutual. I actually watched all of season 7.1 before I was able to go back and watch from Eccelston forward. Now I’m watching the old episodes, and the third Doctor is great.

Well, that was a bit longer than I intended, but that’s it, how I met the Doctor!

26. avatar GaP says:

Met him in 1983 during that dust-up with The Master and the signing of the Magna Carta in THE KING’S DEMONS. After watching some Peter Davisons, I finally got the appeal. It’s like your imagination works overtime to give the limited budget some scope. Now imagine seeing modern WHO with a budget after THAT? Or even the 1996 movie? When you see the production values of that, minds were BLOWN. Great topic.

27. avatar Geoff says:

By the way the first and only time I met him for real was at Longleat when 5 walked the line shaking hands with all the children. I remember to this day exactly what he said to me ” Hello, I’m The Doctor, I’m afraid I can’t do anything about the weather even though I’m from Gallifrey”.

28. avatar Jon Roberts says:

First time was 1969 and Patrick Troughton’s last story ‘The War Games’. Quite a confusing first story to watch but satisfying nevertheless. From that moment I was hooked.

29. avatar The Vodka Yeti says:

My earliest memory of meeting the Doctor is in 1966, the last story of the William Hartnell era, The Tenth Planet. Since then the Cybermen have always been my favourite monsters.

I was delighted when the series came back in 2005, like being a kid all over again, with some excellent stories. I don’t understand those who profess to be Doctor Who fans but turn their nose down at either the classic era or the new era. It’s all the same Doctor to me!

30. avatar Jan Bos says:

I nearly really met the Doctor.
    Back in 2007 or 2008, we were in Blackpool and the season of illumination was started a few days ago. The seasonopener was David Tennant !. The decorations at the lampposts were Who figures. Just a few days to late in Blackpool. :-(

• avatar Philip Bates says:

Ooh, that’s bad luck.

I was fortunate enough to see Tennant switch on the lights, but he was soon ushered off stage, leaving just the TARDIS there. So don’t worry: nobody really got to meet him face-to-face. The illuminations were awesome though!

• avatar Jan Bos says:

Yes indeed. I have it on photo’s and movie. :-)
        Also, when they picked up the box to a lorry and drove away, it looked like the Tardis flew to a new destination. I have it also on movie. :-) Little memories, but valuable

31. avatar Lily says:

I don’t really know when,where or how I first heard of Doctor Who,but it must have been on my first trip to the UK in 2006. After that,a very well known pirate website where you could watch any TV series for free made sure I never forgot the name. However,it wasn’t until December 2012,after much insistence from a friend,that I watched “Rose”.”You CAN’T skip Nine!” he said;and,thank god,I listened. Now,it feels like the Doctor has been there all my life.

32. I first met the Doctor via a PBS re-run over 20 years ago. My son was fascinated by the man with floppy curls and the long scarf so I sat down to watch out of curiosity. The show was different than anything I’d ever seen before: Exciting, a little goofy, and absolutely charming. I was hooked, and continued to follow the series long after my son lost interest. He’s back into it again since the new show started. It’s fun filling him in on all that he’s missed over the years.

33. avatar Spider-pope says:

My introduction was back in 1996, with BBC 2;s ‘Doctor Who’ night. I’d been vaguely aware of the show before then, and i have vague memories of being terrified of Autons (the hands splitting to reveal guns is particularly vivid) but it was the TV movie that really brought me to the show. It was then followed later that night by the first episode of Doctor Who, which i thought was brilliant.