Doctor Who News misc-dominiccooper

Published on June 13th, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

Dominic Cooper Not Interested in Doctor Who

With rumours rife that he’s under consideration, Captain America star Dominic Cooper has told the Evening Standard that he isn’t ‘obsessed with Doctor Who’.

misc-dominiccooper

While his fans are on tender hooks, the Summer in February actor himself is somewhat against the demands of the role:

“What does Doctor Who DO, actually? Travels through time and kills insects. Are we obsessed with Doctor Who in this country? In America it’s huge, too. But no, I’m definitely not obsessed with Doctor Who. If they offered it to me, I wouldn’t know what to say. The idea of playing something for so long isn’t my …it isn’t why I do what I do.”

(“Insects”? What has he been watching, The Web Planet? – Ed)

At the recent gala premiere for Summer in February, Dominic played down the rumours that he’ll be taken over from Matt Smith commenting that he hasn’t been contacted by anyone associated with the show.

The actor told the Daily Express:

“I’ve heard absolutely nothing of this. It’s nice to be thought about though; wherever it came from…It’s a very nice acknowledgement.”

He did go on to acknowledge whoever takes on the role has a ‘very hard job’ following on from Matt describing the departing Doctor performance as ‘intriguing, interesting and brave.’

So would you like to see Dominic Cooper in the role of the Doctor? What do you make of his comments?

Tags: , ,

24 Responses to Dominic Cooper Not Interested in Doctor Who

1. mark says:

So would you like to see Dominic Cooper in the role of the Doctor? uh, not anymore… liking your own show is normally a job requirement, unless you’re Charlie Sheen. And I don’t want him either…

• Spider-pope says:

In fairness Charlie Sheen can already see through time thanks to his “hobby”, so it wouldn’t be that big a step to be a Timelord.

• Bob James says:

Charlie Sheen is really just a party animal who occasionally pauses to learn lines and then say them in front of a camera. Oh, and collect a massive paycheck on a regular basis. Dominic Cooper is an actor, and I for one find it refreshing to encounter an actor who can openly state that the demands of an ongoing role “isn’t why I do what I do”. I’m not an advocate of an actor staying on as the Doctor for seven years, like Tom Baker did. In my opinion he and the character had become indistinguishable, and save for the brief rehab of his Doctor in his final season, also stagnant. But an actor who’ll stay for four to five years, that I wouldn’t mind. So I’m holding out hope that the actor they choose to portray the 12th Doctor will not only be brilliant, but be willing to stay on a bit longer than it takes for the audience to blink a few times.

2. Nope

3. castellanspandrel says:

That’ll be ‘tenterhooks’.

Wouldn’t want this guy anyway.

4. Mary1 says:

I think he is protesting too much. What better ruse if you are being considered?

5. Geoff says:

Dominic Cooper is very versatile but I think he’s not they type to take on a long running part like Doctor Who.

6. Al says:

I think he was just making a joke about the insects (in case anyone is taking offence at that – remember not everyone cares about sci-fi). But his comment about not wanting to be tied down to a series is the key – people outright assume that Actor X will be interested in committing to a series, but that isn’t always the case. That’s why you don’t see Robert Downey Jr. joining the cast of NCIS or something like that. Anyway, this is the first I’ve heard of Cooper even being rumoured for this part – why don’t we just say that as far as the media is concerned every British actor is a potential Doctor…

7. Mary1 says:

I took it as a joke too, Al esp in light of the fact that in another brand new interview he said it would be an honour to be selected.

I was, to be honest more concerned about someone who admitted to having never seen the show before he was hired. Like coughMatt Smithcough. And look how well he has done.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Chris Eccleston had to ask RTD how to pronounced Patrick Troughton’s name…

I am not sure that being a fan (or even having watched the show) is necessarily a requirement – but it might help the actor understand what they are undertaking – that it’s not just the lead in, say, “Death in Paradise” or “Luther”.

• TimeChaser says:

The thing with Matt is that while he hadn’t grown up watching the show because he was a kid during those Lost Years, he had a good understanding of what a monolithic thing it was, knowing about it from his dad and grandad. And then when he got the part he did go back and watch some, most obviously Tomb of the Cybermen and connecting to Troughton’s portrayal the most.

8. Ian Gettings says:

Isn’t he the very wooden actor from Mamma Mia!??

• Mary1 says:

And he is also the very talented actor from The Devils Double and The History Boys.

9. He probably watched the Unicorn and the Wasp and thought it all a batch of Harvey Wallbanger nonsense.

10. james says:

don’t act like you’re too cool to play the Doctor, Bucky.

sure, it doesn’t have the gravitas of an assassin who sleeps in a meat locker and has a robot arm, but still…

• Mary1 says:

I take it you didn’t see his ITV interview today. It was a joke. Xd

11. TimeChaser says:

I don’t even know who this guy is, so I wouldn’t know if he’d make a good Doctor or not. But he has a point, some actors prefer not to be tied down in one role and committed to something like Doctor Who, which is a very full-time position. I think that’s another thing that makes the search difficult and why the press rumors are always annoying, not only are they looking for someone who has that particular spark that would make them a good Doctor, but it also has to be someone willing to commit to such a huge legacy. As much as people try to downplay it as just another fictional character, its not like most.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Another drawback of the role is that the star effectively gives up his private life – he would be in a high profile show seen around the world. If we are looking at character actors, a lot of them are quite private people who don’t want to be “stars” – Ben Daniels made an interesting comment when he said he liked to go home and close the door on the outside world when he wasn’t acting. Well, that isn’t going to happen with DW! The idea that every actor would simply jump at the chance to play the Doctor isn’t as true as some fans would like it to be.

• TimeChaser says:

Or as true as the press would like to believe either. Their basic assumption that anyone who is a British actor would make a good Doctor is a load of bull.

12. Lewis Seymour says:

I must admit that, when his name came up – on Bleeding Cool (of course) – I had to look him up, because despite everyone telling saying what a big name he was, I have no idea who he is! I am usually quite good as knowing who’s who (no pun intended) but he had never made my radar – mainly because I’ve not seen a single thing he’s been in (none of it being much of interest to me).

If he is as well known as claimed, then that brings its own baggage with it – but as pointed out above, the real question if whether he’d want to commit to filming a series for several months a year for at least two or three years – his answer suggests not.

13. Lewis Seymour says:

Hang on – I’ve seen Capt America twice… Who did he play in that?!!!

• TimeChaser says:

Looking it up on Wiki, apparently he was a young Howard Stark.

14. Mugen Pharoah says:

To use a term from the casting notes for the 1996 TV movie……NTG (Not The Guy)

15. zarbisupremo says: