Doctor Who The Rings of Akhaten 6

Published on June 7th, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

Cross: “I’ll Miss Matt Desperately.”

Hide and The Rings of Akhaten writer Neil Cross says he will miss the departing Matt Smith desperately.

The Luther creator told Stuff.NZ that when he met Matt during the filming of one of his episodes, he wasn’t entirely convinced that Matt was not the Doctor in real life:

”Matt Smith is a great Doctor, maybe the greatest Doctor ever . . . because he is the Doctor. Hearts and soul. I’ll miss him desperately. And I can’t wait to see what’s next.”

Doctor Who: The Rings of Akhaten

Initially, the screenwriter, who lives in New Zealand, was sceptical about Matt’s ability to build on the success of the departed Tenth Doctor, David Tennant:

“When he came into our lives as the Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith had some very big Gallifreyan Chuck Taylors to fill. I watched his first episode with sweating palms and crossed fingers: hoping against hope that it would all be okay.

It was more than okay.

Within about ten seconds, I was smiling with relief. He had me at fish fingers and custard; he had us all at fish fingers and custard. By the end of that first episode, The Eleventh Hour, I was punching the air with tears in my eyes.”

Hide 2

Fans of Doctor Who, Spooks, Luther and Cross’s other work can join him at the Ilott Theatre, Wellington Town Hall, on Saturday June 29th at 7pm where he’ll be sharing his thoughts on writing, collaborating with Guillermo Del Toro, his time as lead writer on BBC spy drama Spooks and creating cracking crime drama Luther.

Tickets are available via Ticketek.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Cross: “I’ll Miss Matt Desperately.”

1. avatar dr jon says:

I know what he means a lot of fans will miss him as the 11 th dr and it will be sad to see him go. When matt smith first hit the headlines as the new dr I was very worried that he was to young and didn’t feel right. I have watched dr who since the early 70′s and jon pertwee was my doctor, then when he went and tom baker came I thought he was good but wasn’t.my dr. Then when peter davison became the dr I liked him as much as pertwee. So I gave matt smith a chance at being the dr after a good take on it from david tennent. And I’m glad I did, he has been great as the dr. Well done matt I will miss your 11th dr very much indeed.

2. avatar Chris says:

I find it strange that guy who created and writes for a show as brilliant as Luther, wrote two forgettable Doctor Who episodes. Well “Hide” had promise until the end. Then again I know scripts are tinkered so who knows what the original drafts were like.
    And yes I await the many thumbs down which I’m sure I’m about to receive =)

3. avatar BOJAY says:

I think that there will be quite a lot of “desperately missing Matt” going around for awhile. Like David Tennant before him, he really made the role his own, and also like David, is departing long before a good number of us would have wished. The appreciation for both will only grow with time. Now, bring on the 12th Doctor!

4. avatar Keyser says:

I agree with Neil’s sentiments completely. Matt was superb and my favorite after Baker and Pertwee.

5. avatar Russ says:

Tom baker was my first dr with Peter Davidson my first regeneration so I was always going to be loyal to both, and I have to say I always thought the next choice of actor was the correct choice. I missed each actor that departed briefly, as life goes on you get to like the next dr and I will miss Matt smith because he is one of the better ones. The new dr will have to hit the ground running to make us grieve as little as possible for the11th and the choice of actor will be a massive decision that Moffet can not get Wong or it won’t be just Matt he is missing.

6. avatar Spider-pope says:

I suppose there is no chance that this is a huge elaborate ruse that will lead to Matt Smith being announced as the 12th Doctor after John Hurt is recognised as the 9th? No? Even if i beg?

• avatar Bob James says:

I hadn’t thought about it that way before…………But I don’t think so.