Doctor Who News Matt Smith returns in Doctor Who Series 7b

Published on May 27th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Your Favourite Story of Series 7b [POLL]

The time has come – we’re looking back at Doctor Who Series 7b this week, with the podKast focusing on the run of episodes from The Bells of Saint John through to The Name of the Doctor.

We really want to know what you thought of the episodes. How did you find Series 7b, which was made up of the following episodes?

• The Bells of Saint John
  • The Rings of Akhaten
  • Cold War
  • Hide
  • Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
  • The Crimson Horror
  • Nightmare in Silver
  • The Name of the Doctor

We want to know what you think, so let us know in the poll!

Got something to add? Head into the Kasterborous Forum where discussion on the poll and Series 7b’s high and low points can be found.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Your Favourite Story of Series 7b [POLL]

1. Mark Lenton says:

Why are we only polling half a season? How few episodes a year will Mr Moffat have to produce before this becomes redundant… presumably down to just a Christmas special?

Shouldn’t we just continue to evaluate full series – no matter how many years the leisurely showrunner in Cardiff takes he have still has the decency to call the last two years work just one series…

We never polled the best story of 1981 did we? (only 3 that year)

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I think this run of episodes feels different because it almost seems like a new ‘series’ because we had just lost Amy and Rory after 2 and a half years and been introduced to the mystery of Oswin/Clara. With The Bells Of Saint John we basically started a ‘new chapter’ in Doctor Who proper, building us up for the series finale and the 50th anniversary.

Oh, and as for the best 1981 story, surely it has to be Logopolis? Simply because it reintroduces The Master’s new incarnation having taken over Tremas’ body at the conclusion of Traken, introduces Tegan who would go on to be one of the Doctor’s longest serving companions and one of the most iconic (especially of the 80′s), reintroduces Nyssa as a travelling companion and most importantly of all it was Tom Baker’s swansong in the role after 7 glorious years!

• STLShawn says:

7b is so darker, creepier, more “real” than 7a was. I know they try to hit the creepy mark various times in 7a, but 7b really got my attention.

• Because we already did the first half…

2. Geoff says:

You lot whinge about 7 or 8 eps a year but, as Mark points out 1981 was a long year to be a fan, coupled with the fact that I was only 9 so as a proportion of my life that 9/10 months was a much more significant amount of time to me than it would be now when months and ever years appear to whizz by!
    By the way I cast my vote for the crimson horror, I could have been swayed by the name of the doctor because it’s so exciting, old Doctors, massive cliffhanger but in terms of an actual standalone story I think it doesn’t have that much so I decided to vote on story and Crimson won because it reminded me of a Robert Holmes/ Phillip Hinchcliffe era type of story, not least Talons of Weng Chiang.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I voted for The Crimson Horror for the exact same reason. And when you say “You lot whinge about 7 or 8 eps a year…” I hope you aren’t confining that comment to this post because so far only the 1st comment has been somewhat whingey!

• Gillian Who says:

I have to agree with both of you, I loved name of the doctor but “The Crimson Horror” really stood on its own as a story. Same with “Cold War”, it was good but it was more about reintroducing an old monster for future stories than being self contained.

3. STLShawn says:

I’m whiney and i know it!
    There’s another recent article on the site that i just read about the 13 regeneration limit, and within the article is something towards the effect of “The bbc wouldn’t cancel DW as it is such a revenue generator”. But,,,,, some of us think that if the goose really laid golden eggs, why would they only ask the goose for 8 per year knowing full well they could get 14 and some spinoff chickens that lay silver eggs. I have a fairly long theory more suited for the forums involving executive producers and their ability to “sell” the production costs effectively to the powers-that-be at the bbc, and their possible “bullying” by the bean counters who are in it to say “look how much i saved this company, now i better jump ship before it comes back to bite me”.

Aaaaaaanyway, back on topic. I voted for “HIde” for the same reasons that others voted for Crimson, it was creepy, a bit dark, and had me on the edge of my seat.

4. lozzer says:

Looking at the poll seems to indicate one of the slight problems with series 7b – I personally thought it was mostly really enjoyable, but, it was the fact that nothing really gripped the imagination of the viewers and had people talking excitedly over a pint like Human Nature or The Impossible Astronaut did. It seems weird that a perfectly well executed episode like The Bells Of St John, is currently languishing in last place. It’s an episode that didn’t put a foot wrong in my opinion, and it certainly was one of the reasons we had a nose dive the following week – The Rings Of Akhaten couldn’t hold its own against it by a long shot, yet strangely, some folk seem to think it’s better – it must be that speech, which I personally hated – it had all the subtlety of an attack on the Death Star. Anyway, the point being, a lovely episode like The Bells Of St John just didn’t do enough for people to vote for it – I’m sure if the Spoonhead’s were replaced with Zygon’s it would be the unanimous number one episode. Oh… I voted for Hide by the way, no big monsters, but a good story well told.

5. castellanspandrel says:

I agree, I don’t think there was much wrong with The Bells of St John. Did everything it had to do as a ‘season’ opener (though I still think of it as a 14-part season, starting with Asylum and including The Snowmen).

Akhaten seems to be a case of ‘love or hate it’, which may be why it has passionate advocates.

6. Spacephantom says:

It’s a toss-up between “The Name of the Doctor” and “Cold War” for me, so I voted for “Cold War”, since “TNotD” was already way ahead in the vote.

7. bonobobananas says:

I’ve just been doing a rewatch of 7b and I thought Bells was rather good. Very good even, just not as good as TNOTD. Interestingly despite really liking Cold War at the time, it’s one episode I haven’t bothered to do a second rewatch of yet. Akhaten was nowhere near as bad as I remembered, I think I’m looking forward to the rewatches more with every episode.

8. heather says:

Bells of St John and Name of The Doctor were my two favourites. Bells had everything for me, everything was perfect and a great opener. Cannot understand the low poll position at all !

9. Geoff says:

The thing is there’s not really been a dud among them. I could easily have gone for hide, I loved the cast and it was a story in the best Who traditions: supernatural threat turns out to have scientific (ok, not by Bidmead standards) explanation. The Victoriana of Crimson Horror just swung it a little for me…and I so could have gone for Name of the doctor purely for Clara actually having a proper scene with WILLIAM HARTNELL! All in all a good year! Ps did I mention Ice Warriors….time for a lie down.

10. castellanspandrel says:

I rewatched Bells last night and still can’t understand the problem.

One criticism: disappointing that the Dr doesn’t get to see that the GI is behind it all, or even try to uncover who’s behind it (apart from Ms Kizlet and co).

But still, it’s a fine, pacy episode despite that.