Doctor Who News Doctor Who Series 7 finale The Name of the Doctor

Published on May 16th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

When Is a Leak Not a Leak? [POLL]

Last weekend we heard the story of the lucky fans who had received their Blu-ray discs of Doctor Who Series 7 Part 2 a week or so early – thereby enabling them to watch The Name of the Doctor a week before transmission.

Despite this surprising development – one that has not illicited a response from the BBC America Shop – no rips or even screenshots from the episode (save an opening title “The Name of the Doctor by Steven Moffat”) have made it online.

As a result, some fans are increasingly dubious about the claims. We’re not going to make a judgment on this one way or another, but we’re interested to know just how far the increasing cynicism over this has gone.

So, it’s poll time!

You have one day to register your vote, and we’ll be discussing the results early in the weekend.

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to When Is a Leak Not a Leak? [POLL]

1. avatar TBC says:

Personally, I just think people are tryig to be good and not give anything away, or else the BBC are taking any spoilers down before they can be seen by too many people.

• I hope this is the case, especially in light of some of the recent bad feeling in fandom.

• I have pretty good reason to believe the leak story is genuine, having seen a pic from a friend whom I’ve never known to take the mickey. Thankfully, he’s been pretty mum at this point.

2. avatar gavinio says:

Could we have a third option? I don’t care either way!

3. avatar Dave says:

Maybe they’re just considerate enough to not post details…

4. Well, seeing as I posted the screenshot of the title and have no ties to the BBC except for my unnatural love for Sherlock and Doctor Who, I am fully aware that this is leaked. 3 days in I was under the impression that I was actually the only one who got a shipment. But just yesterday a user on GallifreyBase posted a pic of his DVD copy, thus confirming that not only Blu-Rays were released, but also DVDs.

5. untempered_schism, your love of those shows is totally natural. That is, unless you’re soiling the box.

• avatar krumstets says:

I thought soiling your box was perfectly natural ?!!
      Or is this a subject for another thread altogether ?

• :/

Different thread.

6. avatar TimeChaser says:

I don’t know. I mean didn’t Brian say in the latest Podkast that he knew someone who’d got their copy early? That seems to confirm that some copies did accidentally get shipped ahead of schedule.

7. avatar TonyS says:

My cynicism hasn’t increased. I’ve always been this sceptical

8. avatar Steve Andrew says:

I’m skeptical, but trying not to be cynical. Using Occam’s Razor on any claim, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Which is more likely: somebody screwed up or there was a conspiracy to deliberately leak the box-set?

The first explanation involves simple human error, maybe one or two people at most.

The second one involves a strange marketing strategy with some insane reasoning. In fact this would seem to be more damaging if it was deliberate – it would seem to be a really stupid thing to do. There is absolutely no reason to release this before transmission that makes the slightest bit of sense.

Therefore, I can only assume it’s an accident.

9. avatar Bob James says:

I don’t think this is a marketing or publicity generating scheme. I think an honest mistake was made in shipping the box set early. What I do think is that the BBC is doing is using this as a means of learning how to better safeguard against spoilers getting out and/or containing them. It’s remarkable that those would have the box set are displaying such restraint, and Moffat’s promise of a special Tennant/Smith clip might be an experiment in the type of action that might be taken when potential spoilers do get out. Can fandom be persuaded to keep a lid on things? I think Moffat and the BBC are making notes, and learning a bit more about how to engage the process of containment in a more benevolent way.

10. avatar TonyS says:

I think the most likely explanation is that the leak was genuine and that Mr Moff is capitalising on it to generate publicity for the episode- which is part of his job. So well done Mr Moff if that is what is going on. Oh and … 35 hours to go :)

• avatar TonyS says: