Doctor Who News Doctor Who - 50th Anniversary Special

Published on May 10th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

More 50th Spoilers in the Press

Doctor Who fans intrigued by the casting of highly respected actor John Hurt might want to read on, but the rest of you be aware that the following rumours – published in The Sun – may be more accurate than we would like.

Who is John Hurt playing in the Doctor Who 50th anniversary?We’ll also give plenty of room here to those of you with feed readers.

Before proceeding, we should add that while the following is claimed to be from a BBC source, it might just have likely turned up in the Gallifrey Base forum, or on Twitter or a mysterious, barely read Tumblr.

Okay, ready?

[spoiler ]

The Sun claims that John Hurt will be playing the Doctor, a missing incarnation lost in the Time War. However, they also throw in some Christopher Eccleston mentions, with the implication being that he is somehow to blame for this “new” Doctor – something which is clearly nonsense and would have required very speedy rewrites.

According to their source/the forum post they read

John will play the real Ninth Doctor. Christopher Eccleston has always been thought of as the Ninth Doctor but now that John has been revealed as the Ninth Doctor, it shuffles Eccleston’s Doctor to be the Tenth Time Lord, Tennant the 11th and Smith the 12th.

It also means the Doctor’s time is running out as he can only regenerate 12 times.

Missing the well-remembered point by fans here – 12 regenerations means 13 lives!

Their source continues with a rationale as to why Hurt’s “Doctor” was forgotten:

The reason the Doctor has forgotten his ninth incarnation will become clear but it’s to do with the Time War and his shame over his behaviour in it.

Tennant and Smith’s Doctors will at first refuse to accept Hurt is them — until their sonic screwdrivers confirm it and announce, ‘He’s us. He’s the ninth us’.

[/spoiler]

We would imagine that if this is in any way true, certain people at BBC Wales would be incandescent with rage.

I know I would be.

Please don’tt read the comments unless you want to be spoilered!

Tags: , , ,

73 Responses to More 50th Spoilers in the Press

1. Well what a F*^%#@# insult to especially Paul McGann and of course the rest of the classic Doctors. To hire an actor who has NEVER had anything to do with DW to play an incarnation of the Doctor especially the 9th or some incarnation of 8th and 9th is absolutely unbelievable. It is cruel, mean, and a few other things I shouldn’t mention on here. To snub Paul McGann once (as in the reboot of the series) is shameful but a SECOND TIME!!!!!…and THIS WAY?!!!!???!!!! I’m speechless with rage right now….absolutely speechless. I HATE MOFFAT SO MUCH!!!!!!! Sorry everyone but I’ve read so much S^*# over the past month about the 50th. I’ve tried…I really have tried to keep an open mind and wait to see what really happens but I JUST CAN’T DO IT ANYMORE!!!! What the HELL is Moffat THINKING!!!??? I was so looking forward to the 50th anniversary….I REALLY, REALLY thought I’d see my favorite Doctor….Paul McGann of course…back in new footage on screen. Maybe I should just throw my computer and TV out the window and forget about Doctor Who….of course if I do that then I couldn’t enjoy the Big Finish audios I so love.

• While I appreciate (and to some extent, share) your disappointment, I don’t think a post like this is particularly constructive. This isn’t aimed solely at you, however Segee, as I know you’re not the only one who is concerned about this.

If the above is true (and there are one or two alternative theories doing the rounds) then Steven Moffat should be applauded for attempting to do something with the series and the anniversary that paints everything since 2005 in a very different light. Considering people are criticising the show at the moment for being “boring” it’s a shame that when something truly interesting happens that the man in charge should be given another “going over” on forums, Twitter, Facebook and comments sections.

• avatar Le_Noise says:

Moffat is bound to be given a right old kicking no matter what he does. I’m not too happy at some of the decisions taken so far, but we have yet to see the finished result of his efforts.

I’m going to have to trust him to come up with a good 50th. Hope he does. I’m not his biggest fan, but he has a huge task trying to please everyone. Let’s wait and see what we get. Can’t see the point of heaping scorn on him before the thing has even been broadcast.

• At this point I am venting. I don’t care anymore if my comments are constructive. I’ve been through all that.

• avatar telly says:

Ian Levine, is that you?

• avatar Tomontherun99 says:

Good, good, let the hate flow through you

• avatar John Shandler says:

Spot on Catherine. I admire your passion about this.

• avatar Dan Hallett says:

Jesus Christ get a grip. It was in the Sun for gods sake and good hit rate or no they do still get things wrong and half truths jumbled with blatant lies so chill out and don’t take it as gospel. Why don’t you save your mindless venting until you have seen the bloody episode otherwise you are setting yourself up to look very silly indeed. Seriously are you a Doctor Who fan or just a Paul McGann fan?

• avatar Coopergreg says:

Forgotten to take your medication today?

• avatar JK says:

It’s “The Sun”. Its reliability as a factual piece is non-existent. They’ve taken a rumour and a quote and mashed it together to make their own interpretation.

Wait until it airs before you moan about it.

• avatar Bob Morris says:

Couldn’t agree more, Catherine. I’m actually quite fond of Moffat as a writer but this… If this is true, it’s such an insult to the history of the show.

2. avatar David F says:

I think, if this is the case, it’s a potentially brilliant idea. Absolutely wonderful. A whole new dimension opening up for future fan fiction. A brilliant basis for a story. How you could consider it to be an insult to anybody?

It’s a long time since I’ve read a spoiler about Who that’s got me so excited. It would have been so easy to have a lazy parade-of-the-Doctors. But to have a story about him discover things about his own past that he doesn’t remember? That’s genius. A new Doctor cheekily slotted into the canon? Magnificent. Filling in some of the gaps between the old series and the new? Perfect. And casting John Hurt to do it?

(The first four of the I, Claudius emperors have now done Doctor Who. Brian Blessed, George Baker, Derek Jacobi and John Hurt. That only leaves Christopher Biggins for a full house.)

I’m not just going over the top here to balance Catherine’s extreme, needless negativity. It really does strike me as a solid gold idea on many, many levels.

It shows Moffat’s doing what he’s paid for — being creative.

I hope to avoid any more spoilers. Stumbled on this one earlier, thinking it was a repeat of what I already new. But if anything, it’s whetted my appetite.

• avatar David F says:

(knew)

• avatar Le_Noise says:

Actually Biggins was in The One Doctor. Does Big Finish count?

3. avatar David F says:

Oh yeah! Good point.

4. Er also missing the point David Tennants Doctor used 2 regenerations. He used the regeneration just after being shot in The Stolen Earth!!

• That wasn’t a regeneration though, was it? That was a non-regeneration. A regeneration would have resulted in a different Doctor.

• avatar David F says:

Christian’s right, but of course, if Moffat wanted to make it count, he could. It might be useful for creating a 50th anniversary narrative about the Doctor discovering he’s closer to death than he thought. And then resolving the regeneration limit so he can move on into a new era where that’s no longer an issue. Or using the Doctor’s sudden vulnerability as a story arc through the next season, where he’s in effect mortal, until finding a way past the limit further down the line.

There are so many ways this thing could go. Maybe that’s what Matt Smith meant about the special setting things up for the future.

• avatar Bob James says:

He made use of his own severed hand and used some regenerative energy to heal himself. So, not a full on regeneration……..

• yeah but you guys, the STARS WERE GOING OUT! DOCTOR-DONNA! Alternate dimension! It’s a DEAD GIVEAWAY!!!! think about it!!!! THE STARS! GOING OUT! In The Name of the Doctor!!!

do you see it??????????

• avatar The_Doctor11 says:

That was a reform, it uses a bit of regeneration energy, but isn’t quite a regeneration, therefore its a reform, It just heals him.

5. I’m not concerned with the story. My concern is that why do this at the expense of Paul McGann? Why NOT ask him back? They tried to get Eccleston but that was unsuccessful. I’m just so damned tired of Paul McGann being ignored over and over and over again and having only NuWho crammed down my throat in this 50th anniversary year. This is MY OPINION and I know not everyone cares whether or not McGann makes an appearance or not but this is how I feel. I have a rich life and I hardly watch any TV shows but I am passionate about DW. I am disappointed to say the least and sick of defending my feelings and opinions so I guess I should step back from it all at this point.

• avatar John Shandler says:

You are right. Don’t ‘step back’. Keep saying what you are saying. Some of us feel exactly the same way that you do!

• Thanks!

• avatar Bob James says:

I share your disappointment about McGann not appearing, Catherine. It’s a slippery slope of an issue, whether to involve him, because he kind of resides in a unique place between the classic and new series. He’s clearly been accepted into the canon, by both RTD and Steven Moffat, but anyone outside of full on Doctor Who fans like us might not be as familiar with him. We have his involvement in Big Finish, which goes a great way in making him a solid part of Doctor Who’s mythology, but viewers just coming aboard probably won’t be aware of that. Incorporating classic Doctor Who into new Doctor Who for potential new viewers has always been tricky. It’s a process of educating new viewers about the show’s mythology without hindering its progress. So, while it’s not happening here, perhaps it still may happen somewhere down the road. I hold out hope for that. Imagine 9, 10, 11, or a future Doctor meeting a pre Time War Eighth Doctor. They would know what’s coming, but they would also realize that they couldn’t TELL HIM A THING. That would make for some great drama, some great storytelling. I might be getting the exact quote wrong, but I remember a column in DWM, that had RTD recounting a conversation with Philip Segal, the producer of the TV Movie, he once had regarding Paul’s place in the canon. Philip had seen a retrospective book that clearly identified Paul as the Eighth Doctor, and asked “So he IS the Eighth?”, or something along those lines. To which RTD replied, “Of course he’s the Eighth Doctor. Of course he’s the bloody Eighth!”. So, there you have it. I’ve met Paul twice at conventions, and he’s fantastic with fans, and very open and willing to continue to be involved with Doctor Who. So we have our Eighth Doctor, and maybe someday he’ll even return to our screens.

• Thanks…that made me feel a little better.

• avatar JK says:

Aren’t you in the US, where they’re running classic stories and a documentary series called “Doctor Who Revisited”

That’s more than us UK-ers are gettig (so far) and we pay for the bloody programme to be made!

6. avatar Iain Moffat says:

I have always been of the opinion that the eighth doctor fought the Time War. In Rosé, doesn’t Doctor 9 not check out his appearance in the mirror like he has recently regenerated?

The report seems to suggest that the 9th Doctor, as John Hurt, fought the Time War. His appearance in the picture seems to suggest he is a battle weary soldier, reaching the end of his life cycle.

So in my opinion John Hurt would be more likely to be playing the 8th Doctor. We don’t know how long the war raged for. So maybe John Hurt is an old 8th Doctor, about to end the time war and then regenerate into Chris Ecc.

Probably not though….

7. avatar TonyS says:

As fans we invest a lot of time, money and emotional energy in the programme. The word “fan” carries connotations of a passionate interest in the subject. It is the fans that keep the programme alive and in the public eye. However (and hard as this may be to stomach) we do not own the programmes. The programme is made by BBC and it is they who own it. Steven Moffat is the current showrunner (I hate that word by the way) and employed by BBC to produce it.

We are going to have our own opinions about how the show should appear and we SHOULD have these opinions. Our fanatacism is somewhat limp if we do not get het-up occasionally. Steven Moffat and the others involved in producing the show know this. Before 2010, Steven Moffat was one of the fans who would get angry about some of the directions the show was taking.

Having said that, he has a wider responsibility to produce a show that is loved by fans and the more causal viewer. The programme died in the 1980s in part because the production office spent too much energy tryiing to appease people who would watch it anyway. Even then the fans complained.

I am not saying that we have to like everything that is going on at the moment. We are gifted with differing opinions and with discernment. It would be a shame not to use these. But we do not have a divine right to dictate what the production office brings out. Comment on it, yes. Disagree with it, by all means. But at the end of the day, it is Mr Moff and his Merry Men who decide.

The programme is 50 years old. That is cause for celebration. Let’s celebrate. We have a very rich (and long) history of the programme to enjoy.

Catherine this is not aimed at you. You have every right to your opinion. This just seemed a good place to make this comment

8. avatar authorman94 says:

The fact it’s published by The Sun should say it all. Take it with a HEAVY grain of salt. It also doesn’t match what John Hurt said about his role, so I am doubting it’s true.

• Hmm, medium sized, I’d say.

After all, The Sun has had a very good hitrate over the years with Doctor Who scoops.

• avatar authorman94 says:

Really? I don’t read The Sun nor do I regard it very highly (especially after their treatment of the Hillsborough victims), but if so, they may be onto something. Even then, it does go against what John Hurt has said himself (and I know he could be fibbing to conceal the twist, but at the same time, he could be telling the truth for all us on the internet know).

• I’m actually considering approaching this more scientifically after S7b is finished, and going back over all of our news stories since 2005 to check the hitrate. But as I recall it is very good.

• avatar Bob James says:

I’m really looking forward to that article, and any clarifications you might bring forth after 7B concludes Christian. You always make that effort to get to the heart and reality of an issue, and that’s sorely needed here. Impatience is at an all time high (Ironic, for fans of a character who’s a Time Lord!), and it seems that presumptuous over reaction is the order of the day. People are going nuts without even seeing this episode, and this anniversary year play out. I still hold out great expectations and confidence that Steven Moffat, whatever he’s got cooking here, is going to deliver, and bring us something brilliant. The 50th Anniversary would be a great time to really shake up Doctor Who, and set the tone for facilitating its future, hopefully its next 50 years, and I think Moffat just might be in the position here to do just that.

• I’m an American in a very rural state so we don’t get the Sun nor know of it’s integrity.

• avatar John Shandler says:

It is similar to ‘The National Enquirer’ but with topless females on its third page. I kid you not. And it has the highest circulation of any paper in the UK and is famous for sensationalism, making stories up and phone hacking. The UK papers are perfectly summed up in the link below:

• avatar Bob James says:

It’s like the Enquirer, but the Enquirer sometimes has pictures of topless men…….And now for something completely different.

• avatar JK says:

You mean like how they said Matt Smith would be leaving after Season 6? Or how they said he would be leaving at Xmas 2012, or how they said he would be leaving at Xmas 2013? Or how they said Doctor Who would be cancelled in 2008?

• Re: 2008. Doctor Who was going to switch to an “Only Fools and Horses” model when RTD left. It was only because the BBC wasn’t happy with losing Doctor Who that SM was brought in.

The fact that things changed after they reported this makes no difference – at the time they reported it, it was accurate.

I mean, you’re welcome to make your own comprehensive list of hits and misses, but compared to other papers their hitrate is good (unlike, say the Daily Star).

• avatar JK says:

There was also this Gem, also from TV Biz who reported this same rumour:

The Daily Star isn’t a great measuring stick ;) The principal difference is that The Sun have a track record of putting 2 + 2 together to make 5, while The Star just make up numbers :-P

• Look, don’t take this the wrong way: I’ve been compiling news for Kasterborous since 2005. In that time I’ve come to recognise what is a good source and what isn’t, I know which stories went on to be accurate and which didn’t. All I’ve said is that The Sun has a good hitrate, perhaps 50/50.

Other papers don’t even manage half of that.

• avatar JESK1985 says:

Well I wouldn’t call 50/50 a “good” hit-rate but that’s me!

Please don’t take my skepticism to be a dig at you or your talents or ability to spot a good source, but some of the stuff The Sun has printed about Doctor Who in recent years has been absolute codswallop, and they continue to bang on about the increasingly irrelevant overnight ratings, ignoring the fact that final ratings have remained consistent, and that’s without iPlayer.

• I couldn’t agree more about the ratings. I certainly don’t see your posts as a dig, just clarifying as it is hard to identify who is a “new” visitor to K and who has been jiving with us since day one.

And you’re more than welcome to question. In fact, I don’t think people question things enough, not just in Doctor WHo but life in general.

(That’s a completely different discussion, though…)

• avatar JESK1985 says:

Good stuff! I look forward to contributing again in future! Keep up the good work :)

9. avatar vortexter says:

I wonder if the Sun hasn’t given the game away about the Doctors greatest secret inadvertently? ‘The Doctors greatest secret is about to be revealed: He isn’t the 11th Doctor after all.’ Personally I would have preferred it if they’d removed Ecclestone from the lineage and kept Hurt as the 9th. He doesn’t want to be associated with the role anymore so fine, remove him.
    I feel Catherine’s pain though. Why not McGann? Or the others? It seems they’ve been relegated to the past. Nice to think we’ll see the Time War at last. Lets judge it when we’ve seen it.

• I think that’s needlessly harsh against Eccleston. If he didn’t want to be associated, then we wouldn’t have the various stories of him being extremely pleasant to younger fans of the show when they spot him in public.

Additionally, we don’t know why he pulled out of the 50th, so again, needlessly harsh. He isn’t obliged to us, you know.

• avatar vortexter says:

Regardless of my feelings towards the show, If I were Ecclestone, I am sure I could swallow my pride and appear for the sake of my fans and for the greater good of the show (..repeat like Hot Fuzz,….’the greater good’…) and for the sake of making the same younger fans a little more happier.

• avatar Tim says:

I recall reading that Eccleston was busy working on other films so it may be a question of timing rather than pride swallowing

• avatar Bob James says:

Eccleston did slam the door shut in a mighty way though, whatever his personal reasons. And I don’t think that he’ll have the opportunity to make up for it like Tom Baker did. Tom didn’t participate in “The Five Doctors” because of his ego at the time. Christopher’s obviously holding on to something, and he obviously doesn’t “get” what kind of impact being part of Doctor Who, let alone playing the Doctor himself in the show’s relaunch was going to have on and for his career. It’s never going to go away, every other actor who’s played the part knows that. It’s not just “another gig” like most other roles. We’re talking about “iconic” here, and the closest comparison might be Bond. The actor moves on, but the shadow cast never goes away. He obviously made his decision, but I think Christopher would have better served himself and the fans by taking part just this one last time. It could have meant closure all around, but that apparently means nothing to him. I do hope, that like Tom, he someday regrets having not taken part. Christopher doesn’t to realize that something like Doctor Who will never happen in his career or life again. Or he just doesn’t care.

• avatar JK says:

According to the BBC… he didn’t pull out. What have you heard differently?

• It has been mentioned several times on Kasterborous alone, such as: http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/04/eccleston-pulls-out-of-50th-anniversary/ and on a couple of podKasts.

There is also a forum thread in which Eccleston’s departure is mentioned, but that’s heavy duty stuff that isn’t for the public consumption of a comments thread…

• avatar JK says:

That could lead one to read “pulled out” or “talked but was never attached”, and the latter seems more likely. You also mentioned the Daily Star as a source when further up the page you said they weren’t reliable :P

• Regardless of how you have interpret it, I (and pretty much every other major independent DW site) know that CE had agreed on the condition that Thor 2 reshoots were not required. Whether you believe this or not is entirely up to you.

What happened to change this is between the BBC and Mr Eccleston.

• avatar JESK1985 says:

Oh please don’t take my skepticism the wrong way. It’s not intended in any way to be a dig at you.

I just don’t see how you can “know” this. Surely if it was as set in stone as you say he would have been signed up to it officially, and by all accounts he didn’t…

I’ve popped onto the forums and I see nothing about Eccleston at all, unless I’m looking in the wrong place.

• When I say “independent DW sites” I don’t mean “it was public knowledge and all across their respective forums”, rather “they mostly all knew and were looking forward to the day when we could report it and discuss it”.

There have been loads of things like this over the past few years; this was by far the biggest, of course. Conversely, John Hurt was a complete surprise!

• avatar JESK1985 says:

Ah, I see. You may well know more than I do… because I haven’t seen anything to suggest more than a “firm maybe” followed by a change of heart…

10. I wouldn’t worry too much about this. Rumors – true and false – are doing the rounds and I’m sure Mr. Moffat enjoys and possibly even feeds off the whole circus (mind you, I’m pretty sure some of the semi-death threats I’ve read on some posts cannot be good for either him nor the show and it’s wider perception in the media). Besides, this is DOCTOR WHO! Things are not always as they seem. Maybe John Hurt’s character “seems” to be The Doctor and even convinces Smith and Tennant’s incarnations that this is the case before we discover his true identity…! Before we get too hot and bothered, I suggest we wait and see what happens in the story itself. Judge the adventure on its merits/failings and not on hearsay. Personally, I can’t wait!

• avatar authorman94 says:

That’s one rumour I’ve heard. That he tricks the other characters into thinking he’s a missing incarnation of the Doctor, but reveals himself to be Omega, disgusing himself using the Doctor’s DNA (from Arc of Infinity). If that happened, that wouldn’t be a bad twist at all.

11. avatar TimeChaser says:

I won’t believe the rumors until we actually get to see the anniversary special. But if they are true, it would be incredibly silly to force the idea of a ‘lost’ regeneration’ on us and have to redo the numbering of Doctors. Perhaps he’s merely an alternative, an echo of what might have been and not really part of the canon.

• avatar David F says:

I don’t think it would be silly at all. It would be a really clever, stimulating way to inject new life into the whole story. It would contradict nothing we think we already know.

It would be really anticlimactic to set that up and then reveal him to be an imposter.

And it makes me wonder how Clara fits in to it all. If the Doctor doesn’t remember a chunk of his life, maybe he doesn’t remember a former companion or the fact that something he did is the source of her mystery. Maybe she predates Rose. That would be a very Moffaty thing to do.

• avatar Bob James says:

Now watch Richard E. Grant be revealed to not be the Great Intelligence, but yet another Ninth Doctor. “That was me, bugger all, NOT the skinhead OR the old man!”.

• avatar authorman94 says:

Technically, he was the Ninth Doctor (at least before Eccleston) in “Scream of the Shalka”…

• avatar Bob James says:

That’s what I meant. I quite enjoyed his take on the Ninth Doctor in SOTS, and wouldn’t have minded at all had he gone on to continue the role on television. We would had a very different relaunch for the show, but I bet REG would have come back if asked for the anniversary. He’s only portrayed snobs in the movies, and doesn’t seem to actually be one in real life, unlike another actor I could mention.

12. avatar TonyS says:

Since the Time lords ceased to be, the limit on the number of regenerations may also have gone. The Master was offered a new life cycle in the Five Doctors. So maybe the 12 regenerations thing was an artifically imposed limit. Even in the classic series, they would have rethought this if they had to to Doctor 13 and were still going strong.

13. avatar Solonor says:

I’m not getting the hate on this one. Having Hurt either be an aged 8th or a forgotten 9th is brilliant. Yes, I’m disappointed they aren’t bringing back the classic Docs, but that doesn’t mean this is automatically a bad idea…especially when you get John Hurt to play the Doctor (or someone disguising himself as the Doctor).

14. avatar Solonor says:

And if it’s true, we finally get a Doctor that lasted past the human-looking age of 50!

15. avatar Dan Hallett says:

Good posts Solonor, my thoughts exactly.

16. avatar Chris Wyatt says:

I think it’s an interesting idea. The problem that I see is that we’re waiting for the “fall of the 11th at the fields of Trenzalor(sp?)”, right? Which means David Tennant’s Doctor would be the one to fall.

Anyway, I think its more likely that he’s some kind of alternate reality Doctor, than that he’s a missing Doctor.

17. avatar daniel says:

to be honest i think john hurts character is someone who wants to take over the Doctors life..a Valeyard type, rathsr than an actual Doctor.

one thing i will say is that this is a site which could be read by kids. i have strong opinions on Who and the Moff but maybe people need to watch the potty mouth a bit.

18. avatar Gary says:

There are so many open “hooks” left from the David Tennant “era”; so many potential points of deviation that it is entirely possible to make Hurt not necessarily the 9th but rather a 9th, and to go beyond 12 regenerations (one way was already employed when River gave The Doctor her regenerations) e.g. The Doctor’s Daughter is still at large; River is still running around at night; The Master was last seen throwing a lot of power around in and out of the Vortex. There are so many ways to weave in any of the proposed possibilities, and Moff seems to especially enjoy spinning the themes in odd and new directions, that I am far more interested to see how he twists this reality this time, and how funny he can make it while twisting.

19. avatar vortexter says:

Clara’s diary from ‘The bells of St John’. It lists 9,10,11,12 with 11 and 12 crossed out in red with a line. Perhaps the biggest hint that this is true with a new order for the Doctor’s regenerations. Looks like the Sun just blew the big surprise!

20. avatar JESK1985 says:

Taken with a HUGE pinch of salt given the source and the article itself, which just seems to be a mish-mash of two different rumours and a quote, I’ll reserve judgment on whether this is a good or bad idea until I’ve actually seen it.

21. avatar The ducktor. says:

What about when river song gave up the rest of here regenerations to save the doctor in let’s kill hitler. Could she have given him the rest of her regens, so that when it is time for Matt smith to move on his next regeneration will be his 13th. I am excited either way to see what is in store for the 50th.