Doctor Who News Doctor Who Executive Producer Steven Moffat

Published on May 13th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Moffat: ‘Series 8 definitely confirmed’

It may not have been confirmed with the usual fanfare (hey, not like it’s the anniversary year or anything, is it?) but Steven Moffat tells us that Doctor Who Series 8 has definitely been confirmed.

Doctor Who Executive Producer Steven Moffat

Speakingat Sunday’s BAFTA ceremony, Moffat revealed that he is unsure why people think there is no Series 8 (“It really, definitely, honestly is!” he says). We suspect it is because nothing has been formally announced, Steven.

This is a thing that just seems to have slipped by… so can I say it very firmly – series eight is absolutely, definitely confirmed. It is real and it’s happening – it’s [taking up] most of my time at the moment.

So, are we to take this as the formal announcement?

(Via Digital Spy)

Tags: ,

11 Responses to Moffat: ‘Series 8 definitely confirmed’

1. avatar Alasdair Shaw says:

I don’t suppose it’s going to run between the 7b finale and the 50th Special?

It’s been the timing of series 8 that has bothered me rather than wondering if it exists.

2. avatar Steve Andrew says:

I think it seems to be a BBC higher-up problem – they’re really messing the series around at the moment, leaving us fans with a whole lot of uncertainty. And as a Jedi master once said, “Uncertainty leads to speculation. Speculation leads to outrage. Outrage leads to burping…” I may have got that wrong, but you get the idea…

Despite the obvious caveat of Rule One, I take Moffat at his word – if he says he’s working on series 8, I believe him. Why? Because I’ve no reason not to. Production on Sherlock series 3 is winding down, the DW 50th is in post-production (I think), I suspect the X-Mas special has been written… The next logical thing to work on would be season 8. Now if only the BBC would get their collective thumbs out of their collective arses and make the official announcement, we can get on with our lives.

• avatar Bob James says:

Heads out of their collective arses in a more apt description. I’ve noted, and it has been much noted that the BBC are notorious for being late in confirmations and announcements, and notorious for their apparent lack of PR and communication skills. They are very disrespectful of the public they serve, and whether this is unintentional due to ineptitude, or politics within, or not, isn’t evident. But Doctor Who fans need to do two things in response to this. 1) Don’t take this at all personally, as a slight to Doctor Who, and 2) Learn to exercise more patience. There is much in flux now, for a variety of reasons, there is much that has changed and is going to change. How many episodes are going to be made? When will they see transmission? What format will they take? These are all questions that we might not get answers to when we want them, and we might not like the answers we get when we get them. We are not in control of any of this. The fact that Doctor Who is going to continue is something we should be grateful for. We can’t always have our cake and eat it too. I believe Moffat. There is no scenario in which everyone is going to get everything the way they want it, or the way it used to be. Let us roll with the changes, be thankful for the present, and look forward to the future, which for Doctor Who, seems to remain bright.

• avatar Steve Andrew says:

Well said, Bob, totally agree.

3. avatar Le_Noise says:

Maybe he’s daring the BBC to contradict him..Good political move.

4. avatar rickjlundeen says:

The BBC isn’t really messing around with the series. They were messing around with it in1986. This is just business as usual for them, being uncommunicative. Besides, I’m sure someone in promotion probably figures it’s better to spread out the announcements and wait on the official news of series 8 and let people bask in the glow of the current series we’re *in*, as well as the 50th. I’m really surprised on how hung up people are on the “official BBC” announcement, even *after* the Moff has said it’s in progress! How insecure are these folks? Moffat wouldn’t be working on the scripts if the Beeb hadn’t already given him a greenlight.

• avatar Le_Noise says:

The best way to stop rumours and tales of intrigue is to present the facts when you have them. The B.B.C. are hopeless at P.R. I think that Moffat has done well to confirm series 8, because it puts it on the record. Something the B.B.C. could learn from.

All this poor P.R. and prevarication from the B.B.C. is fuel to the fire of rumour and speculation.

5. I don’t want to contradict Steven Moffat but I want an Official BBC announcement, stating an autumn season at 7pm Saturday’s running for 14 weeks, including the Christmas Special. Then and only then will I believe Series * is confirmed.

6. avatar Al says:

When and when the BBC decides to cancel Doctor Who, we will have at least one, possibly two years notice. This isn’t 1989.

7. avatar lozzer says:

I can’t imagine the BBC’s biggest cash cow won’t be commissioned for an 8th series – I’m taking this as confirmed. I just hope they learn a few lessons from the rushed episodes we’ve had this series – and as fans, maybe the time has come to lower our ridiculously high expectations.

8. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

This series has been patchy, definitely but Who is always worth watching, there’s so much crud on TV. Oh God Rings of Akhaten though…..it still hurts….hurts!!!!!

Look to Last of the Summer Wine. The world’s longest running sitcom…did the BBC tell anyone it was cancelled?…..no they didn’t…they never do……so we all live in fear of our fave show’s cancellation even when it is riding high and bringing home the BBC’s bacon.