Doctor Who Joanna Page cast in Doctor Who 50th anniversary special

Published on May 3rd, 2013 | by Meredith Burdett

50th Anniversary Location SPOILERS!

We don’t know much about the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special. We’ve seen Matt Smith, David Tennant, Jenna-Louise Coleman, John Hurt and a Zygon running about in Wales and London but that’s about it.

Doctor Who - 50th Anniversary Special

Many people have been slightly dismayed at the thought of no other past incarnations of the Doctor making an appearance in the special but we’re sure that they’ll turn up one way or another, just as some familiar locations might make an appearance as well…

And if you’re averse to potential spoilers… well, what are you doing on this article?! Go away! Go away now!

50th anniversary location spoiler

One such location that has been the source of much excitement is Coal Hill School and Totter’s Lane, where the Doctor Who crew have been filming scenes very recently.

For the uninitiated, this is where it all began on November 23rd 1963 for the very first Doctor Who adventure An Unearthly Child. The Doctor’s granddaughter attended Coal Hill School in Shoreditch and two of her teachers, Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright, followed her home one day out of concern and intrigue. They arrived at a junkyard in Totter’s Lane where they encountered the Doctor and the TARDIS for the first time. And so did we.

The fact that filming is taking place around these sets suggest that the Doctor Who special is indeed heading right back to the beginning, but who really knows? This could be going anywhere. It could be a brief flashback, a flash-forward or maybe even a modern-day setting.

In fact, if you look at the pictures posted on Twitter, look at the sign for Coal Hill School check out who the Chairman of the Governors is…

:O

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

11 Responses to 50th Anniversary Location SPOILERS!

1. avatar vortexter says:

As River would say, Spoilers! Don’t read my post if you haven’t looked at the pictures.

Nice! Now who was Susan listening to while waiting for Ian and Barbara to bring the book about the French revolution. John Smith and the Common men…My God, the answer to the question that’s in plain sight! The Doctors real name is John Smith! or Chris Waite and the Carollers, or the honourable Aubrey Waites!. Moffatt is a genius…John Smith. It was there all along.
    Seriously though, I got a little warm tingle in my cynical heart when I saw the sign. I like to think that we can wallow in nostalgia at least once this year and the anniversary tale is the night to do it. We know paintings play a part in the proceedings. Perhaps we will get to see the past Doctors make a cameo of sorts as well…

• avatar Mark Lenton says:

what pictures… link please.

I used to be a spoiler phobe, but these days the episodes are so dissapointing that I may as well get my kicks from the spoilers

2. There are times where I wish Tumblr and Facebook had viable spoiler tag options. This is one of those times.

3. avatar authorman94 says:

It also appeared in “Attack of the Cybermen” and, possibly just as important as in “An Unearthly Child”, it was there where in “Remembrance of the Daleks” Ace smashed one of them up with a baseball-bat. I know it’s meant to be set in the modern day, but who wants to bet we’ll see a reference to “Remembrance” given how highly it is thought of?

4. avatar vortexter says:

I appreciate the show must go forwards and you cant dwell on the past but it’s great to see an acknowledgement of the roots of the show. I always felt there was more background to why the Doctor and Susan were actually staying in Shoreditch in 1963. “Remembrance of the Daleks” expanded on that and hopefully this story will take it further. Maybe the first Doctors console room from the making of special will make an appearance as well. Good news and keep it coming!

5. avatar joesiegler says:

Headmaster is also supposed to be Anthony Coburn, I’d wager, the writer of “Unearthly Child”.

6. avatar David F says:

I wonder whether these pictures will have any impact on the wails of the “They’re insulting the long-term fans/This special is only about the new series” brigade.

If something’s happening at the school, and if there’s a reference to I. Chesterton being a governor (which suggests the scene isn’t set in 1963) . . . surely that points towards a possible actual physical appearance? Please let it be so. The Doctor meeting Ian would be the greatest possible hit of drama, emotion and nostalgia. Far greater than the reappearance of previous Doctors or monsters.

Can’t wait, whatever they’re cooking up.

I also have a feeling there’ll be something in The Name of the Doctor. Something surprising and nostalgic, to whet our appetites for November. Something that will silence (at least some of) the people who’ve already made up their minds that Moffat has screwed up the special.

7. avatar TonyS says:

W Coburn- from Waris Hussein and Anthony Conurn perhaps?

• avatar TonyS says:

Oops! Coburn

8. avatar Francis cave says:

I do recall that Warris Hussein mentioned in a recent interview that there was a possibility of him doing some directing for the new series. Is there a chance he is filming a sequence at this location for the special?

I wonder …..

9. avatar 1st2last says:

Is there a risk that all these nods to the past may, for some fans, only emphasise the lack of old Doctors taking part?

Perhaps the episode will be called “Absence of the Doctors”. Ahem.