Doctor Who News The Zygons return to Doctor Who!

Published on April 2nd, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Zygons Return for 50th Anniversary!

The BBC has announced today that classic foes from the Tom Baker era of Doctor Who, the Zygons, are to make an appearance in the 50th anniversary special!

The Zygons return to Doctor Who!

A fan favourite since their singular appearance in 1976′s Terror of the Zygons, the shapeshifting aliens with their organic spacecraft have somehow never returned to the show since, although they have made several showings in various spinoff media.

There is every chance that you might feel spoilers by this news, but since the BBC have announced it on their website and several newspapers have picked it up already, this returning Doctor Who villain is probably the least surprising addition…

…which makes you wonder what else they have up their sleeve…

(Via BBC Doctor Who)

Tags: , , ,

15 Responses to Zygons Return for 50th Anniversary!

1. avatar TimeChaser says:

I’d really like to see how the new series does Zygons, because they were already one of the best costuming triumphs of the classic series.

• avatar Paul Blume says:

Oh, ABSOLUTELY. As goes the ‘ickier’ DW beasties, you can’t beat the Zygons.

2. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Excellent! I love the Zygons. An eagerly awaited classic monster since the relaunch. and think, they can look like whoever they choose…….a nice feature….for the 50th anniversary…..

3. avatar sw says:

Makes me wonder if the 10th and Rose will be Zyon impersonators!

• avatar sw says:

*Zygon

4. avatar TimeChaser says:

Actually, seems like the Doctor Who News Page even has an image of the new Zygons.

• avatar Bob James says:

They, just as they did with the update of the Ice Warriors, have done well with this………..

• Wow, good old DWNP. Amazing. Same photo as on the BBC website ;) (I just used a K stock image as I was posting from mobile)

• avatar TimeChaser says:

I was wondering. But hey, I thought I’d lend a hand. ;)

5. avatar TonyS says:

When being you just isn’t enough

6. avatar Bob James says:

• avatar Leo says:

I have actually had tears in my eyes four times since I got the news on my Iphone whilst I was working out!

Literally this is beyond amazing and I don’t care even if this is a 5 minute appearance.

I have waited years for this moment and its bringing so many memories back of being a kid in the 1970s, my family as it was and my TV family of Tom, Liz, Ian and Nick.

Amazing news really delighted beyond word’s..

7. avatar David F says:

I was born on the morning of the day Terror of the Zygons episode 3 was broadcast. Didn’t make it home from the hospital in time for the broadcast, and I was too busy to watch their final episode a week later. This will compensate nicely.

(I hope the drip of information about the episode will pacify the “It’s just not good enough for a 50th anniversary” brigade, who are starting to grate with their assumptions about what is happening and what should happen, instead of just enjoying the mystery and trusting that Moffat understands his role better than anyone . . .)

8. avatar Caity says:

YES!! After the shameful way the Zygons have been treated with the everlasting delay of the DVD release, it is only right that these iconic villians are recognised. Steven Moffat – I love you.

9. avatar Andrew says:

Just about the only classic series monster that doesn’t need much of a re-design. In that photo is looks brilliant.