Doctor Who News The Doctor and Clara in London (plus a fez!))

Published on April 30th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

So Just What Is the Truth about Clara?

Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman have been chatting vaguely about what the Doctor Who Series 7 finale The Name of the Doctor holds in store for the time travellers – and the speculation is hitting second gear!

The Doctor and Clara in London (plus a fez!))

The BBC has confirmed that the finale will finally solve the mystery of Clara, with the actress hinting that she can’t wait to be able to talk about it.

All I can say is that Clara hasn’t just met the Doctor three times before…

Wait – hold on a minute! Are they suggesting she’s met him a fourth time? Or even more?

Naturally Matt Smith isn’t going to tell us anything, other than this:

It’s a complete game changer…and it all starts now!

Well I don’t know about you, but I’m damned excited! So let the speculation begin here on the pages of Kasterborous.

Who/what/where/why and how is Clara Oswald?

Tags: , , , , ,

27 Responses to So Just What Is the Truth about Clara?

1. Francis Cave says:

That’s it, she must be the Doctor’s daughter from the episode of the same name.

Either that or it’s Romana…

Or the Rani….

2. Nick Dixon says:

I believe that she’s likely to be the Doctor’s mother…

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I really hope she is not his mother/sister/daughter/susan etc… They kissed. This would be extremely messed up if it turned out to be the case. Romana on the other hand I can quite believe that during the Time War she somehow became a Dalek through unfortunate circumstances.

• Mr. McFly says:

I know it was a much bigger kiss in The Snowmen, but Marty McFly did sorta kiss his mother. He also had a couple sexually charged moments with her.

3. Kurohawk says:

Or perhaps Susan?

4. David F says:

I hate this phrase “game-changer”. They keep throwing it around, without understanding what it means. It’s what they said about A Good Man Goes to War, and yet the show is still about a man travelling around having one-off adventures with his friends. Unless they change that, the game’s the same. Wish they wouldn’t use terrible new buzzwords when all they really mean is “surprising and exciting”.

• krumstets says:

The PR department are very keen to tell us how we should feel about something . I wish they would leave the viewers to say how they feel instead of trying to plant ideas beforehand.

5. Simon says:

My bet’s on either River or Romana. Remember, she has a copy of Tom Baker’s scarf in her house in “The Bells of Saint John”, and those two are the most likely to have the scarf,,,

• Tina says:

Where was that?

6. Elwood says:

I’m thinking the time fragmentation is what happens when somebody runs over your Chameleon pocketwatch with a garbage truck?

I hate when that happens.

7. TonyS says:

She’s a TARDIS!

8. rickjlundeen says:

I can’t really see her being Jenny (the Doctor’s daughter), as that was an RTD creation and I don’t *think* she’d come back under Moffat’s tenure. Or her really being *any* Time Lord, as her dieing each time would lead to a regeneration, I’d think. So that would kind of rule out Romana, the Rani or River, I think. also can’t see them going the Tardis route again so soon after doing it last series. Seems like that would cheapen the previous encounter.

Maybe, just maybe she’s another version of the Watcher, the entity used to bridge the gap between the 4th and 5th Doctors and she’ll disappear as she prompts his regeneration when he does fall.

9. Bob James says:

She is signed on through series 8, though, so that has to be taken under consideration. If she was the Watcher, a reveal at the close of this series would be unlikely, especially as Matt has stated in the Radio Times that he’ll be around in 2014. Whether this is for the whole series, or part of it, we don’t yet know. I think the Time War may have created myriad possibilities, what with its effects upon Space, Time and the Universe at large, and so we might not have any precedent as to who/what she is as of yet. As always, it’s wait and see…….

10. TonyS says:

I think she is the repository oif the Doctor’s consciousness. The Doctor isn’t himself at the moment and may be under the influence of the Great Intelligence. I agree with Bob though that it will probably be something umprecedented.

11. krumstets says:

One thing for sure – she is another white, pretty ,female companion.

Why can’t the Doctor travel with just a male companion for a change?

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I suppose The Massacre Of St Bartholomew’s Eve is the closest televised Doctor Who has come to a “Doctor/single male” companion story. As long as you ignore Dodo’s abrupt introduction at the end of the story. And there’s always The Keeper Of Traken if you bare in mind that Nyssa didn’t officially become a travelling companion of the Doctor until the following story. Then there is The Next Doctor, but Jackson was joined by Rosita and besides I only consider them guest characters along with Astrid, Lady De Souza and Adelaide. Lastly there’s always The End Of Time, as long as you consider Wilf a companion and ignore Donna and the cameos from Rose and Martha. Anyway, It would certainly bring a new dynamic to the show to have such a format for a while!

12. Shawn says:

Maybe the upcoming event is a peace between the Daleks and Gallifrey and the time lock is undone.

13. vortexter says:

I think this means that she has met ‘PREVIOUS’ incarnations of the Doctor. I am beginning to wonder if we have been duped into thinking that the classic Doctors are not returning in the 50th special when perhaps they will be returning in the episode ‘The Name of the Doctor’! Great surprise if so and a welcome one.

If she is Romana then its a shame they dont tie it in with ‘City of Death’ When Romana has her portrait painted in Paris, her face is that of a clock. There is a ‘crack’ in time when it is revealed. Pehaps the same crack that appears from the TARDIS blowing apart. The clock could be the pocket watch that hides her Timelord identity and makes her human while hiding…

14. Bhanzz says:

I’m wondering if Clara isn’t somehow connected to Cal from The Library.

15. Simon Barlow says:

My own theory is that the doctor can not find any explanation for how she came to be splintered through time and space is because it is yet to happen. I.e. rather than being in her personal past it is a consequence of travelling with him. Somthing happening in the TARDIS would be the logical way to do it to her and that is why it won’t let her in; it is being kind as it knows what will happen.

16. Rory says:

I don’t know who Clara is, but I’m quite sure she is Gallifreyan. During the initial scenes of the Rings Of Athaken, when the Dr meets Clara and her parents in the playground the Dr crouches to say hello and (this is super nerdy) – in the shot when she smiles up at him, there are two hearts stitched into the pattern of her dress on her chest. Did anyone else also notice that in the specially filmed Athaken ‘sequel’ (on the swings) when Clara lists things she has lost, she finishes her list with ‘mojo’. Mojo is odd – just odd enough to distract us from the penultimate word on her list – ‘grandmother’. I appreciate this could mean her grandmother died, but something about the way the scene was played made It seem more literal.

Clara’s mother utters a very curious expression on two separate occasions ‘oh my stars!’ – I haven’t quite figured out why, but I feel this is significant too.

I’ve made this point before in the other article responding to ‘Journey to the centre of the tardis’ – but I think the theme of ‘parenthood’ has been one of the most ‘hidden in plain site’ themes since the revamped series began. The Tardis really does seem to be attracted to addressing disputes between unconventional, distressed and/or disjointed families. I didn’t quite believe it myself until I did a proper wiki trawl of episode titles aired since the re-launch. I would recommend having a look through the list – its really very bizarre…from ‘Father’s Day’ to ‘The Curse of The Black Spot’, the initially ‘parentless’ Amelia, the elusive ‘Aupair/Governess’ Clara, the ‘absentee parent’ sub-theme within the last three Christmas Specials!!

In the last minutes of ‘Hide’ the Dr also makes the point that psychic links are always stronger with ‘blood calling to blood’.

My ultimate theory is that Clara is ‘scattered’ throughout time because the Doctor is protecting or hiding her from his enemies and that he has chosen to forget his ‘title’ (using some as yet unexplained technique) to dissolve his link with her. I think the Tardis could know about this arrangement – or perhaps just be jealous of their true bond? I think the Doctor’s name could be something very straightforward and amusing – but his ‘title’ (revealed on the fields of Tranzolore) could expose his true relationship with Clara and unravel everything…

Just a thought…

17. Rory says:

sorry – I meant ‘prequel’ on the swings…

18. Clara is the Valeyard!

Being serious: I have no solid theory of who she might be, and I’m loving it.

19. David says:

With the new news that John Hurt is coming in as the “forgotten” 9th Doctor, is it possible that he is going to have answer the question of Clara. As for the question of her being Gallifreyan, unless they show a pocket watch I don’t buy it because of the fact she has died in Victorian London as well as in a future time Dalek Asylum… The Doctor has done every test known to Time Lord so it rules out Clones, Body Doubles (Like Zygons)… But if there is a forgotten 9th due to the shame of the Time War, is it possible the shame has to do with maybe a human Clara thrown into the time vortex, split into multiple versions all over the time continum.

20. karen says:

Its either Cal in human form or River Song!

21. The Master?

22. Sonia says:

I’m thinking maybe she is connected to Captain Jake in some way???