Doctor Who News Matt Smith, Arthur Darvill and Karen Gillan in Doctor Who: The Power of Three

Published on April 16th, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

Chris Chibnall for Doctor Who Series 8?

Broadchurch creator and regular Doctor Who scribe Chris Chibnall has confirmed he has been approached to write a new episode for Series 8.

Matt Smith, Arthur Darvill and Karen Gillan in Doctor Who: The Power of Three

Chibnall who has previously written five episodes of the show was understandably pleased to amongst the names of potential writers for the show.

Speaking to Cultbox, The Power of Three writer commented:

“I hope to [return for series eight], and Steven [Moffat's] been good enough to ask…So we’ll just see if all the schedules figure out and stuff like that. But it’s always lovely to be on the list.”

Chibnall went on to describe the privilege he felt and the particular joys of writing for Doctor Who:

“It’s… a delight to go in and write a Doctor Who [episode]. Steven is a great showrunner to work for, and you always do a Doctor Who if there’s time, because you can tell stories you can’t tell anywhere else.”

While plans are in motion nothing has been confirmed in regards to how the episodes will be scheduled following the anniversary and the Christmas specials in November and December respectively.

Also, there was no mention of whether or not this upcoming season will continue the trend of giving writers two episodes per run.

So are you pleased that Chibnall will be returning to the Who-fold? Are you already concerned about the potential gap between the anniversary celebrations and a new full series?

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to Chris Chibnall for Doctor Who Series 8?

1. avatar Paul says:

Power of three was terrible.

2. avatar drewboynton says:

I thought the first 20 minutes of Po3 was one of the best starts to any WHO ever–my wife actually turned to me and said “This is really good!”–but the last 10-15 minutes were some of the most disappointing minutes of television ever. No explanations about anything, a villain that pops up and turns out not to really even be there, and everything solved by a WAVE of the sonic screwdriver…horrible.

3. avatar Paul Blume says:

What was most disappointing about Po3 was that ~ conceptually ~ it had so much potential.

4. avatar krumstets says:

…..although Broadchurch on ITV has been an excellent drama.

5. avatar Hyncharas says:

It must’ve been quite a coup when Darth Orville (Arthur) was slated to be a character alongside David Tennant. But yes, it is a brilliant show and it would be grat if Chibnail returned to write for Doctor Who.

6. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

He can come back as long as he wears the same clothes as he wore on Open Air in 1986…

I always felt the fan assault on the writers there was particularly vicious and embodied the whole self destructive fandom thing that was going on in the eighties, and it’s ironic to see Mr. Chibnall on the receiving end of criticism in the Internet age….so what goes around comes around I ‘spose…..though at least you can choose to not go online and ignore it all, Pip and Jane Baker just had to sit there and take it and be humiliated live. I digress…..

Like most of the Smith era Doctor Who’s most of the weaker stories would work as two parters or dare I say old fashioned 25 minute 3/4 parters though the chances of that are a about as likely as me watching Rings of Akhaten again. With more time to breathe Power of Three would have been much better, though I didn’t think it was all that bad at the time.

And why hasn’t Marc Platt written for the series in the modern age?

7. avatar STLShawn says:

Po3 was disappointing in my opinion, but most “hide and reveal” style plots are. Once the spookiness is revealed to be something tangible,,, it just kinda drops. (giant space spider living in the sewers anyone,, ala “It”.)

Anyway, I think Chinbal is OK,,, maybe,,, let’s see his track record :: The Power of Three, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, Cold Blood, The Hungry Earth, 42,,,,, OK, not my favorites, but I don’t think i have a favorite writer.

8. avatar MG says:

See here’s the thing (and this is controversial). Despite his episodes being merely Decent at best, I think he’d be a perfect showrunner. I say this mainly after having watched Broadchurch. What I’m saying is that Chibnall is good at playing the long game. He knows how to write an arc and deliver and build it effectively.

9. avatar Jez Noir says:

Are there really so few writers who want to write for Who? Chibnall IS the modern equivalent of Pip & Jane Baker, he’s had so many chances and just never delivers the goods. Why isn’t Moffat ringing Rob Shearman, Simon Nye, Marc Platt or big genre names like William Gibson, Joss Whedon, Guillermo del Toro etc?

• avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

Can we get Pip and Jane Baker to lay into his episodes live on TV just for fun please? :)

• avatar TonyS says:

I wonder whether the old Merseyside Local Group would comment…

10. avatar Howard Railton says:

Why keep picking this dire writer? Give someone with talent a chance.