Need more Martians after the superb Cold War? BBC Worldwide has released further details of the forthcoming DVD animated reconstruction of The Ice Warriors, the mostly-lost Doctor Who serial from 1967 which introduced the green giants from Mars.
In addition, further images have been released. The synopsis is as follows:
In the distant future, Earth faces a new Ice Age. While a dedicated team of scientists battle to hold the approaching glaciers at bay, a startling discovery is made deep within the ice… an alien warrior, frozen for millennia. When the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria arrive they soon discover Earth is under threat from the Ice Warriors – fearsome Martians intent on conquering our planet for themselves…
The selection of commentaries is particularly interesting, featuring a mix of stars and archive recordings talking about the serial, VHS narrated links and the second part of the Frazer Hines Doctor Who Stories.
- 6x 25 mins approx monochrome episodes with mono audio.
- Commentary – Episodes 1, 4, 5, 6 with actors Frazer Hines, Deborah Watling and Sonny Caldinez, designer Jeremy Davies and grams operator Pat Heigham, moderated by Toby Hadoke.
- Commentary – Episode 2 commentary made up of original archive recordings or readings of text written by Brian Hayles, Derek Martinus, Martin Baugh, Bernard Bresslaw, Peter Barkworth, Wendy Gifford and Sylvia James.
- Commentary – Episode 3 commentary by Patrick Troughton’s son, Michael.
- Programme subtitles.
- Subtitle Production Notes.
- Cold Fusion (dur. 24’ 31”) – Cast and crew look back at the making of the story. With actors Frazer Hines, Deborah Watling and Sonny Caldinez, designer Jeremy Davies and James Bresslaw, son of the late actor Bernard Bresslaw.
- Beneath the Ice (dur. 10’ 31” ) – A look behind the scenes of the animated Ice Warrior episodes. Producers Chris Chapman and Niel Bushnell, together with animation director Chris Chatterton from Qurios lift the lid on the process used to bring Varga and his Warriors back to life.
- VHS Links (dur. 19’ 19” ) – the introduction to the story and linking material covering the two missing episodes, as used on the VHS release of the story in 1998. Includes the BBC Video “Adjust your tracking control” caption for a true sense of nostalgia.
- Blue Peter Design-a-Monster (dur. 10’ 04”) – the competition launch and subsequent winners of the 1967 Design-a-Monster competition, which ran during the transmission of The Ice Warriors.
- Doctor Who Stories – Frazer Hines part two (dur. 13’ 48”) – the second part of this interview with Frazer Hines shot in 2004 for The Story of Doctor Who looks at his later appearances in the series.
- Photo Gallery (dur. 3’ 53”) – production, design and publicity photos from the story.
- Coming Soon (dur. 1 min approx.) – a trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
- Radio Times Listings in Adobe PDF format.
- Programme subtitles.
Expected for UK release on August 26th, cover art and price for The Ice Warriors are yet to be confirmed.