Doctor Who dw-s6-godcomplex-gall7

Published on March 15th, 2013 | by Meredith Burdett

Could Toby Whithouse Be The Next Showrunner?

For five years now, many of you will have been enjoying the BBC fantasy drama Being Human created by Doctor Who writer Toby Whithouse.

dw-s6-godcomplex-gall7

As these wonderful shows sometimes do, Being Human has come to an end, although some of you may have been slightly bewildered or even disappointed by the final scene that the show delivered. Discussing this topic recently in SFX, conversation naturally turned to Doctor Who, and the potential for Whithouse possibly taking the reins from current showrunner Steven Moffat when he decides to move on…

I have heard the rumours. I’ve been hearing them for years now. In terms of what Matt and Steven are planning after the anniversary, I do know the answers to those things, but there is absolutely no way I can tell anyone…In terms of my future on Doctor Who… I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t intrigued by the idea [of being show runner], but also it would be terrifying.

It’s definitely something I’d be really tempted by but I’m genuinely not in any hurry to do it. And why do people assume the BBC would want me? I’m sure there are much stronger contenders than me!

Toby Whithouse, the future show runner of Doctor Who?

Tags: , , , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

8 Responses to Could Toby Whithouse Be The Next Showrunner?

1. avatar Philip Bates says:

I’d be quite happy with Toby as showrunner. But not for a while yet. I don’t want Moffat to leave any time soon!

2. avatar John Shandler says:

I would favour Whithouse and sooner rather than later. Moffat needs to go. This ‘taking over television’ for the anniversary has come to nothing, we are a whole season down and the show is haemorrhaging Executive Producers. Whithouse has shown that he can create brilliance on a shoestring BBC3 budget and do a complete cast overhaul yet still maintain quality and have people crying out for more. Time for a change. As for Matt Smith- brilliant, brilliant Doctor, but a young actor who needs to move on before getting typecast.

3. avatar TimeChaser says:

I wouldn’t want to see Moff go for some time yet (heck, he could be New Who’s JNT for all we know), but of the cadre of familiar writers who could take over, I think Whithouse is probably a strong choice. We could always get Gatiss, although I’m not sure his writing has always been strong enough.

Personal wish fulfillment: I’d love to see Neil Gaiman take over, but I know that’s as likely as being mugged by a Dalek on the subway.

4. avatar Bob James says:

No. No. No. Why not? Three words. American. Being. Human. Sy-Fy (I don’t care if I mispelled it) is almost completely trite, garbage, and has been for some time. Maybe the BBC would stop him, but if he whored his own show out, why wouldn’t he try the same with Doctor Who? He is a talented writer that works best under another showrunner, We need to keep Doctor Who british. First RTD has a go, probably destroying Torchwood on Starz,and then Whithouse. Maybe they ought to create a channel for them called “Bending Over For America”?

5. avatar Benjamin Wood says:

Better Toby Whitehouse than Mark Gatiss. I can’t stand any of the latter’s episodes. Gatiss taking over Who would be terrible, whereas I could fully trust Whitehouse.
    However, I could do with a few more years from Moffat.

6. avatar Spaceman13666 says:

Toby Whithouse or Chris Chibnell?? Either for me.
    I’d like Moffat to stay for a while longer along with Matt. But who takes over from him, give us and older Doctor and established actor. An uknown taking over form Matt? I don’t know, maybe….

7. avatar Alex says:

I’d rather see Gatiss first, as he has the longer tenure in Who fandom. Nicholas Briggs would also be an excellent choice. But Whithouse would be OK too. Of course everyone wants Neil Gaiman to take the job but the BBC couldn’t afford him in the long term. I don’t expect Moffat to be going anywhere soon – we’d have heard by now if he was leaving before Series 8, so he’ll be around till at least the end of that season (sorry, haters…)

• avatar Bob James says:

I second that Nicholas Briggs suggestion, provided he wants it. He’s been absolutely brilliant with Big Finish, as they have been producing stories every bit as good as the television series, most especially their Eighth Doctor range.