Doctor Who News David Tennant and Billie Piper return to Doctor Who

Published on March 30th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

50th Anniversary Casting: It’s Ten & Rose!

One of fandom’s worse-kept secrets is about to be confirmed in the next issue of Doctor Who Magazine – the return of David Tennant and Billie Piper for the show’s 50th anniversary special!

Now, after you’ve dusted yourselves down, you’ll be fascinating to learn that British cinematic legend John Hurt has also been cast.

This news comes via Blogtor Who, and is obviously a massive piece of excitement. The thought of the Tenth Doctor and Rose appearing in the 50th anniversary special has been one of the most popular things for fans contemplating a multi-Doctor story, so to have this news about to be confirmed is of course stunning, especially today.

However, there is still one more name that we’re waiting for. We’ve heard previously that it is surprisingly likely. The question is, will it happen?

Fingers crossed!!

Update

The BBC has now confirmed the news, but we’ll have to keep guessing about the size of the part John Hurt will be playing…

Tags: , , , , , ,

18 Responses to 50th Anniversary Casting: It’s Ten & Rose!

1. avatar Gareth Kavanagh says:

Excellent news! And yes, fingers crossed for one more surprising name!

2. avatar Paul Lenkic says:

I suspect that it will be the human Doctor who is with Rose in the alternate reality.

3. avatar Simon says:

Is that other name “Tom” and “Baker”? Well, it is for me at least.

However, I must admit, I’m far more excited by John Hurt, one of Britain’s greatest actors, being cast more than I am for David Tennant and Billie Piper’s return, despite how nice it is seeing them again.

4. avatar TimeChaser says:

I actually feel kind of ambivalent about this news. Do we really need to see Rose AGAIN? But I guess if its happening, there’s no point in complaining til we actually get to see the finished product.

5. avatar daniel says:

oh who…i am sooooooooooooooooo excited …i am 37 years old and smiling like a big kid! I take back every single thing i said …yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

6. John Hurt !! Wow !

7. avatar gavinio says:

Happy that at least one past Doctor will make an appearance but Rose, come on, that whole departure at the end of Doomsday that was rendered almost meaningless by her return at the end of series 4 is de-valued even further. Couldn’t be less excited by Piper’s appearance if I tried.

8. avatar castellanspandrel says:

It’s all good. I’m not going to carp about Rose as, perhaps, she just happens to be the Tenth Dr’s companion at the time in his life when he gets involved in this adventure, rather than it being after the whole Bad Wolf Bay story. (Though, on the other hand, this could be the parallel universe Tenth Dr created from the original’s hand!)

But I’m absurdly excited by John Hurt’s casting – one from my guest cast wish list for decades, ever since watching I, Claudius repeats in the 80s.

9. avatar castellanspandrel says:

…or of course, Rose could be accompanying a certain other fella – here’s hoping.

And yes, Christian, you’re right – I am fascinating, thanks!

10. avatar Spaceman13666 says:

Agreed, about Rose. Something I’ve always said about her constant return since the great and now constantly marred episode, Doomsday. I ask the question, if it’s during the tenth’s tenure, why not Donna or Martha.

11. Biggest rating every?

12. avatar GallifreyanFallenAngel says:

So many thoughts, so much shock, I’m on overload at the moment! And just yesterday people were moping about how we probably weren’t going to get any multi-Doctor story. Can the BBC now confirm that anyone else will be appearing? Please? Unless they don’t want to reveal every past Doctor so people don’t end up in emergency rooms in all the shock.

On a calmer note, I was looking at photos of John Hurt. I might just be a bit delusional from excitement, but does Hurt look just a tiny bit like Jon Pertwee?

13. avatar John Shandler says:

Come on. Doctor 10 is not enough. The 50th is an unbelievably important time. We have had no new season this year, merely the leftovers from last year. We are getting one anniversary special- make it count. The Doctors through from Tom Baker are still alive. It would be insulting and just plain wrong not to use them, both for them and the fans. Stop drip feeding. Announce. Make it happen.

14. avatar lee says:

Another name to be announced? Not Chris? Prob be John Simm. My wish would be McGann. Surely this has to be human 10, as he would have thought he was about to really die in the specials?

15. While I’m definitely excited about this, I’m kinda disappointed that the announcement came this early. It would have been an awesome reveal in, say, the end-of-series trailer or something!

16. avatar J W says:

The only Doctor I’m interested in seeing make a return appearance is Paul McGann. We need to see his Doctor in action one more time.

• avatar Douglas Slee says:

I agree. WE NEED MORE MCGANN!!! AND FAR LESS ROSE!!!!

17. Paul McGann, Paul McGann, Paul McGann. He’s the only one I care about. I mean geez he really deserves more screen time. After The Bells of St. John tonight it’s looking like Richard E. Grant is going to get more DW screen time than Paul McGann….absolutely NOT FAIR!!!!