Doctor Who News Doctor Who Series 7: Asylum of the Daleks

Published on February 17th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Nick Hurran to Direct 50th Anniversary Story

We can now declare that Doctor Who‘s 50th anniversary story is in pre-production with the confirmation from director Nick Hurran today that he is taking the director’s chair!

Doctor Who Series 7: Asylum of the Daleks

Speaking at the Glasgow Film Festival earlier today, Hurran shared little about the Steven Moffat scripted story, leaving us only able to speculate on the contents of the 3D story which apparently starts shooting in April.

Hurran has good experience of Doctor Who, having brought us Series 7′s Asylum of the Daleks and The Angels Take Manhattan as well as Series 6′s The God Complex and the acclaimed The Girl Who Waited.

Are you happy with Hurran, or is there someone else that you would prefer for this very special occasion? Let us know in the comments section below – which director do you think would do the 50th anniversary justice?

(Via Digital Spy)

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Nick Hurran to Direct 50th Anniversary Story

1. castellanspandrel says:

He’s excellent, so no fears there. He’ll do a great job.

However…. purely out of sentiment, I’d wondered if Waris Hussein could’ve done it as he directed An Unearthly Child and, I think, is still in the business. I’m not sure how up to speed he’d be with this type of Dr Who, but it’s a moot point anyway. (He was close to directing The Five Drs, too, I think.)

2. TimeChaser says:

His previous directorial outings were all good, except for Angels Take Manhattan, but I don’t think any amount of brilliant directing could have saved that one.

• Agreed. Girl, Complex, and Asylum are among my favorites, but I was somewhat disappointed with Angels. I won’t blame Mr. Hurran for that one, though.

3. TonyS says:

Asylum and Angels are GOOD experiences? Seriously?

4. David says:

Oh No! That’s the 50th ruined! I wanted Graham Harper or Euros Lyn to have directed it! Those two are the best and to be honest I absolutely hate his style! Keep the camera still and not so much hand hold nonsense! Also Saul Metzstein did a fantastic job and James Strong! But not him :(

5. Richard Parkin says:

Given that we don’t know the content of the story its hard to say if Mr. Hurran is the best choice, however, given his WHO track record (and ignoring some of his other work such as the God awful Me & Mrs Jones!) then I’d say the show’s 50th is in safe hands. Mr. Mofatt wouldn’t risk something as important as the anniversary episode with a director who wasn’t talented, stylish and keenly attuned to the material.

• Me & Mrs Jones wasn’t too bad. Sarah Alexander was marvellous in it, and made it watchable. Although the scripts weren’t good, there was little wrong with the direction.

• Richard Parkin says:

No, you’re right; I can’t fault the direction of Mrs Jones (just as I clearly can’t spell Moffat!!) it was just a shame that such a wonderful cast had such poor material to work with.

6. Peter Thomas says:

I think it should of been Graham Harper. He directed some of the earlier Doctor Who & some of the Russell T Daves seasons.

7. Fiona Hawthorn says:

I think Nick Hurran is a great director and I think he has done a fantastic job on Dr Who