Doctor Who dw-writers-rtd1-hp1

Published on February 22nd, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Moffat Regularly Asks for RTD Return

The extremely popular and positively received video clip of Steven Moffat being interviewed about plans for Series 7, Series 8 and the 50th anniversary included some interesting thoughts about Russell T Davies.

dw-writers-rtd1-hp1

It seems that Moffat’s predecessor has been asked back more than once to provide a script for the series, something that he has so far refused.

On Russell T Davies returning one day, Moffat opined:

I do keep asking him. Do you imagine I don’t! I get really resentful if I hear he’s written anything that’s even vaguely around the Doctor Who area, because I’m saying ‘bring it over here!’ He’s the best writer breathing in TV. I’d book a holiday. The offer is continually made, but I’m getting nowhere. I think he did his duty so he’s maybe wanting a nice long rest from being a writer.

We reckon it would be very interesting to see a Russell T Davies standalone story that doesn’t rely on his own arc or his own characters – but what do you think?

Tags: , ,

14 Responses to Moffat Regularly Asks for RTD Return

1. avatar TimeChaser says:

“Interesting” would certainly be a word for it. I’ll admit that RTD could sometimes write fantastic stories – Midnight is so brilliantly disturbing that I just can’t watch it anymore. But then again, he was also responsible for some pretty questionable episodes as well. But hey, I don’t think anyone who’s written multiple episodes has hit a bulls-eye every time, so I won’t hold it against him.

2. avatar Tom says:

I know this might fall on deaf ears, but maybe if all the world just called out one word, one single thought then he just might return… :-)

3. avatar farsighted99 says:

Time for a petition.

Russell, you’ve been away too long. Moffat needs a vacation. Time for you to come back and give us a new story. Surely you’ve thought up one now. It’s been a long time. Do your magic once again.

4. avatar Doctor Drew says:

I still can’t imagine RTD will stay away forever….I think we’ll see his return, even if it’s writing just one episode. He’s still gotta have tons of DW ideas floating around in his big writery brain.

5. avatar Lozzer says:

I’d be thrilled to see RTD return – I think he had a tighter control over the whole Doctor Who production that Moffat, the latter can be a bit slap dash in his approach. Has anyone else noticed how many continuity mistakes have occurred in the last 3 seasons…? Big clunky ones too!

• avatar James says:

Trust me, Steven Moffat isn’t the first Doctor Who producer to ‘ignore’ continuity for the sake of the plot. Verity Lambert and her team did, and every producer and team after that. It’s what happens. The rule is, if a continuity point disrupts the telling of the tale, ignore it. It’s for the producers to make Doctor Who – it’s our joy and privilege to try and make it fit, if we want to.

6. avatar Dozy Twonk says:

Nooo, he’s done his time. If Mr Moffat wants a holiday they should be dragging in Neil Gaiman

7. avatar barry whysall says:

theres only one man who should take over the moff the guy thats wrote the best stories since whos return and that man is PAUL CORNELL

8. avatar Russ McQuillan says:

definitely think Neil Gaiman is the man to replace the moff when hes had enuff – imagine all those comic book writer friends he cud get to write for the show

9. avatar BOJAY says:

I’d love to see RTD make a return, and I think he will when he’s ready. It’s great to see Steven Moffat is open to and excited about that possibility. But I also want to second barry whysall’s comment above, and add to it. Not only Paul Cornell, but also Rob Shearman should make welcome returns. And how about Nicholas Briggs, who writes brilliant stories for Big Finish being given a shot?

10. avatar Lozzer says:

I was referring to continuity production errors – A few examples being Rory’s badge with the wrong year on in the 11th hour (1991 I seem to remember…), vanishing pirates, sheriff badges jumping up and down Matt’s jacket in a Town Called Mercy and the worst one of all, completely undermining the episode, was the returning sonic screwdriver in The Almost People. It’s sloppy programme making, and it’s a part of Maffat’s legacy. Don’t get me wrong, I like the majority of his output, but I think his control could be tighter.

• avatar castellanspandrel says:

Yes, I’d forgotten about Rory’s badge. How odd that was. Hadn’t noticed the other continuity errors, but if you watch blooper programmes, you’ll see that most TV productions are guilty of such things. Would’ve thought it was the fault of a production assistant or floor manager rather than Moffat per se, though it does all happen under his watch.

11. avatar castellanspandrel says:

Comic book writers or friends of Neil Gaiman’s or not, they’d still have to be experienced screenwriters. That’s often been stressed by both showrunners.

Don’t know about as Executive producers, but I’d definitely have Paul Cornell and Rob Shearman back as writers. Am mystified as to why the latter has never been given another go.

12. avatar BOJAY says: