Doctor Who News The TARDIS interior as seen in The Doctor's Wife

Published on February 26th, 2013 | by Meredith Burdett

Moffat: Get Ready for “the rest of the TARDIS”

Try and look as nonchalant as you want, whenever a Doctor Who story comes along that reveals more of the interiors of the TARDIS it’s pretty much a guarantee that your eyeballs will start sweating and the fanboy side of you will come out. It could be on the train, at work, even during an anniversary that’s dear to you (“I love you darli…My God, Was that a Cloister I just saw?!)

The TARDIS interior as seen in The Doctor's Wife

So it’s with incredible, exhilarating excitement that we look forward to one of the more talked about upcoming episodes in Series 7 – Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS.

And make no mistake, this isn’t a cop-out, this isn’t a misleading title where all we get to see is the TARDIS refrigerator and a dusty, long forgotten time space visualiser blocking off a few roundels, this is the one where the Doctor shows us more of the TARDIS than we’ve ever seen before. More than The Doctor’s Wife, more than any eighties episode, more than The Invasion of Time and more than Inside the Spaceship (yes, that is what it’s called).

Steven Moffat revealed in the video interview shown at the Gallifrey One convention in Los Angeles that the production team has built the rest of the TARDIS and that there are some great visuals to look forward to. Considering the fact the TARDIS is probably infinite in size, we’re sure it won’t quite cover that distance but you can bet your bottom dollar that this is an episode that is going to deliver.

Michael Pickwoad, the designer responsible for the latest design of the TARDIS console room first seen in 2012’s The Snowmen has taken the responsibility to create the rest of the Doctor’s impossible home and we can’t wait to see what he’s come up with.

Doctor Who returns to BBC One on March 30th 2013, Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS will most likely air in April.

Tags: , , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

8 Responses to Moffat: Get Ready for “the rest of the TARDIS”

1. Rick Lundeen says:

I look forward to this. I was actually more impressed with the “Invasion of time interiors”, mostly because we at least got a little variety. Better than the endless white roundel hallways in Davison’s era and “The Doctor’s Wife” was disappointing in that regard as well, so I’m sure we’ll get the proper tour this time. Fingers crossed.

• It’s odd how fandom is split over The Invasion of Time. I wonder if it would be so divisive if the interior location footage had been recorded on video…

• Rick Lundeen says:

I see that a lot though. I think that Doctor Who is such a personal experience for the fans that any one episode or any one Doctor really divides the fans. You take an episode like Ghostlight. Some fans think it’s the epitome of the McCoy era and a true classic. Others, including me, think it was confusing nonsense that even perplexed the cast appearing IN it.

For me, The Doctor has always been eclectic and a bit scattered. So seeing those bizarre sets with the gallery and pool seemed right in place. Heck, i was just happy to see some more of the Tardis! I’m guessing that even if they recorded it on video, there’d still be nay-sayers. I’ll bet there’s a lot of people who have their idea of what the rest of the Tardis *should* look like and when it’s shown to be something else, they’re disappointed.

2. Jordan Stein says:

I’ve been watching Doctor Who pretty obsessively since 1983 and I don’t get the “Inside the Spaceship” reference, which clearly I’m supposed to based on the tone of the author of the piece. So can you enlighten the lesser fans who don’t have the inside knowledge?

• Presumably the fact that Inside the Spaceship has an alternative title.

Barely inside knowledge!

• Jason says:

There’s disagreement about what the earliest stories are called, especially the first three. DWM kept with the Target book titles (I think) in its Mighty 200, which annoyed some people. Meredith is saying that he doesn’t like us calling the third story ‘The Edge of Destruction’, as that’s technically the name of the first part of a two-part story. The alternatives are listed without opinion at:

3. Rick Lundeen says:

Oh, missed this the first time through, that the guy who designed the current Tardis console room took care of the rest of the ship as well. I’m not really crazy about the new console room. Hoping to warm up to it eventually.

4. Mez says:

Jordan,

Put very briefly, some Doctor Who stories (especially in the early Hartnell years) have different titles that come from their inital production and have confused some fans over the years. For example, what you may know as An Unearthly Child is known to others as 100,000 BC. This was due to changes during production.

Have a look online at some of the history behind the changes, it’s a fascintaing read.