Doctor Who News k-forum-hp3

Published on February 28th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Hey Kasterborous, Where’s the Forum?

Good question. Thanks to a mangled upgrade yesterday, we’ve left the forum offline while we try to come to a decision as to its future.

k-forum-hp3

Over the years we’ve had some good fun in there, but since the addition of news comments to Kasterborous the forum has slowly declined.

Not ideal.

This latest setback is a problem that no one needed or wanted, least of all our loyal forum members, many of whom have been around for years. However, given the time and effort that is required to get the forum back up and running, the time has come for a long hard look at the situation.

We have a few minor layout changes planned in the next few weeks, and I expect the decision on the forum will be made with this in mind. If you have any thoughts on the matter, feel free to share them…

Tags: ,

19 Responses to Hey Kasterborous, Where’s the Forum?

1. avatar bonobobananas says:

It would be a real shame to lose the forum, however if it can be merged to the the main news page with an ability to create new threads then that’s the forum anyway… I’m sure you’ll make the right decision Christian.

• Hmm. I think it is somewhat ironic that even posts about the forum fail to attract comments… :s

2. avatar castellanspandrel says:

I didn’t post anything only because you and I had discussed it by email, Christian, but it is baffling. Where are they all going instead? As usual, lightweights and some newcomers will appear when the new season starts.

And re: the existence of the forum – whatever happens will be for the best.

• That’s okay CS, I didn’t mean you :)

3. avatar castellanspandrel says:

I know, but had to get my tuppence in somewhere.

• Ive an idea about which way we’re going to go on this, just needs some outlining and planning

4. avatar Alex says:

Be a shame to see it go, but if people aren’t using it…

5. I count myself among the lightweights that CS mentioned, but I’ve always liked checking the forums, especially during broadcast season when I can see what my fellow fans are saying about each new episode. I also think the forums add to K’s sense of community and separate it from being just a news/editorial site (which is of course brilliant in its own regard).

6. I’m thinking of finding a way of retrieving the old forum so it can still be read/accessed if needed (there are some important things in there!) but replacing it with a new, more compact version.

What I have in mind is something that might be more closely related to the podKast, and act as a repository for source materials that we use (recorded interviews, unedited podKasts, etc.) as well as KMag and other projects. There will be space to talk about DW on TV, of course, and I think I might feature a section that lists spoiler rumours too, something that we generally steer away from on the main site.

Anyone got any thoughts on these things? I want to keep it as focused as possible while offering something interesting and different to readers, really.

7. avatar Alex says:

Would it be easier to streamline it down to just Dr Who discussion. Would be nice to have a chat about it – especially as there should be quite a bit of material to discuss later this year.

• I’m not sure focusing purely on DW episodes is the way to go. I think we need to be able to offer something in addition, otherwise there’s no reason for people to join other than to talk DW. That’s a very good reason to join, of course but other forums have offered a little more over the years such as DWO and OS, and they’re doing exceedingly well.

It’s a quandary, as you can see…

8. avatar TimeChaser says:

I don’t think the forum should be connected to news comments. I’ve noticed the forum being overtaken by all the topics connected to the front page news stories, and its harder to locate fun topics anymore, ones we the fans made up ourselves. I would spend more time on the forum if forum and news were kept separate.

• Thanks TimeChaser, appreciate your thoughts.

In hindsight I think you’re largely right – other than particularly contentious issues, interviews or opinion pieces, I think integrating the two as closely as we did was not the way to do things.

In my defense, of course, it was an attempt to draw people into the forum :)

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Glad to be of service, Christian. :)

I just got home from being in the hospital this week, otherwise I would have commented sooner.

I can understand why you made the integration, and it’s not a bad idea, but I think it would work better to keep news linked topics sequestered to their own forum section at least. Helps keep things more organized that way.

9. avatar TimeChaser says:

OR, if new topics were still connected to the forum, keep them strictly in a News section, rather than putting them in the main section for general discussion topics.

10. avatar bonobobananas says:

A comment from Nhoj Christian that he thought on occasion the forum to be too tightly policed. Just an observation, not that I would wish for blatant WUMming to be allowed.

A final thought. Have you considered sending an email to previous K members asking for their thoughts on a new forum? It might remind some that the forum existed prior to 7b and there were some pretty smart and internet savvy people in that bunch.

Cheers,

Monkeynuts

• Thanks Bono

I’m afraid I’m lost for words concerning “too tightly policed”. However my memory isn’t great, so if he, you or perhaps Spandex could help jog things…?

• avatar bonobobananas says:

Not my comment so I can’t provide any answers. From memory maybe stuff with Hula and possibly the caption captains when they got a bit racy? What did you think to the mail idea?

• I’ll be emailing as soon as I’ve got the email list retrieved.