A much-anticipated DVD special edition is heading your way on 18th February as Robert Holmes’ The Ark in Space is re-released with a wealth of extra features and re-mastered sounds and visuals.
Starring Tom Baker as the Doctor, The Ark in Space is set on an apparently deserted and deactivated space station Nerva, otherwise known as the Ark, orbiting Earth in the far future. It is here that the Doctor, Sarah and Harry discover the last survivors of the human race held in suspended animation, Earth having been evacuated thousands of years earlier when solar flares threatened to destroy all life.
There are some fantastic extras here…
- Commentary with Tom Baker (Doctor Who), Elisabeth Sladen (Sarah) and Philip Hinchcliffe (Producer)
- A New Frontier Making The Ark In Space
- TV Movie Version A special 70-minute repeat compilation of the story broadcast in 1975
- Dr. Forever! – Love And War A new documentary examining the Virgin/BBC Books novelisation range produced during the 1990-2005 hiatus. Interviewees include Russell T Davies (Executive Producer/Writer 2005-2010) and Mark Gatiss (Writer)
- Scene Around Six 1978 news footage of Tom Baker’s public appearances in Northern Ireland
- 8mm Location Footage Amateur film shot during Tom Baker’s first story
- Optional CGI Effects
- Original BBC Trailer
- Interview with Designer Roger Murray-Leach
- Alternative Title Sequence and Model Footage
- 3D Technical Schematics
- Photo Gallery
- Coming Soon Trailer
- Production Information Subtitles
- Radio Times Listings, Doctor Who Technical Manual, Crosse and Blackwell and Nestle Promotional Material in Adobe PDF format.
- Digitally remastered picture and sound quality
We’ll have a review of the new version of this much-loved classic tale in a few weeks’ time.