Doctor Who News Clara in the TARDIS

Published on January 23rd, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Doctor Who and the NTAs [Updated]

Well, you could have knocked me down with a mighty small feather when Colin Morgan was voted for the Drama Performance Male winner at the National Television Awards – sure, Merlin is good, but I’d never considered the show or it lead as a realistic competitor.

Colin Morgan, of course, played Jethro in Russell T Davies’ Midnight back in 2008, and since then the Irish-born actor has done remarkably well growing in stature in his own show.

But what of Doctor Who and Matt Smith? What of Steven Moffat? What of the blessed Karen?

Following a commercial break and a “live” vocal performance from Kimberley Walsh, Miranda Hart (Call the Midwife), Suranne Jones (Scott & Bailey), and Sheridan Smith (Mrs Biggs) were announced as the nominees alongside Karen Gillan, accompanied by a clip from The Angels Take Manhattan.

But who would win? Would the fact that all four have Doctor Who connections soften the blow?

Well, it was Miranda Hart. Sorry Karen…

Doctor Who vs Sherlock, Merlin and Downton Abbey still to come…

With the nominations read by Ben Miller (Primeval, Death in Paradise), Doctor Who fans gripped their seats. Great clips were used for all shows (the siege sequence from The Snowmen for us)- but who would win?

Downton flipping Abbey?

Meh.

(Well done, etc, to Hugh Bonneville)

So, another year, another gong-free National Television Awards for Doctor Who. Beaten by Downton Abbey yet again, the Time Lord nevertheless lives to fight another day. Perhaps next year’s awards will be more favourable, post 50th anniversary?

FINAL UPDATE:
Just one last update to congratulate Joanna Lumley on her special lifetime achievement award. She made a rather spiffing lady Doctor in The Curse of the Fatal Death back in 1999, don’t you think? In fact, she was so good it would be pointless anyone else ever trying to copy her… ;)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Doctor Who and the NTAs [Updated]

1. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Bull!

2. avatar Krumstets says:

Don’t worry, there will be another awards ceremony along shortly no doubt.

Really, they are a waste of time. Just the usual back slapping of mediocre talent .

I saw one episode of `Call The Midwife’ and it was pretty dreadful TV , but there you go, it gets the viewers and they love Miranda.

I don’t get it.

3. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

That Christmas episode of Downton Abbey was appalling. I feel like ITV owe me two hours of Christmas I can never get back.

4. avatar francis cave says:

Sure its a shame the DW didn’t win any awards but is it really such a tragedy?

Its won many times in the past and the shows that did win (Downton, Call the Midwife etc..) are undeniably popular.

From what I have read on Twitter it seems like the attitude seems to be “Dr Who didnt win. Its a crime and the awards are crap anyway”.

So if it had won would everyone have been saying “Good old NTA’s I always loved them!!”?

• The real tragedy is that I had to watch a dancing dog.

A. DANCING. DOG.

5. avatar leo says:

So Miranda Heart is a finer actress than Surrane Jones as well….ha ha ha. Honestly, the great British public eh?

6. avatar TonyS says:

We’re fans. We’re going to think Doctor Who is the best. But the winners are all popular programmes and it’s the votes that count. I don’t think it’s such a big deal. It’s unlikely to change the opinions of the fans.

7. avatar Paddy says:

Know how you feel, Christian.

By the way – help me out, this is bugging me – you mention in the bit about Miranda Hart, that she has a Doctor Who connection. And in the back of my mind, I know you’re right, but for the life of me I can’t figure out what it is.

• avatar Bradondo says:

The only connection I can find is that she was rumored to be on the short list for the next companion when it was first announced that the ponds were leaving. I remember the list included Ms. Hart, Lily Cole and a woman from Downton Abbey whose name escapes me. Personally I only know her from “Hyperspace” (which was pretty dreadful!). :)

• Yes, that’s the extremely tenuous, attempting to be positive about the situation, link.

8. avatar midnight.blue says:

Obviously, the writer of this article hasn’t been watching the final season of Merlin to see how all the actors have grown. Colin Morgan maintained great performances throughout the series with his comedic timing and poised dramatic ability as well. The entire last season was intense culminating with epic-like flavor two-part episodes which were moving and brilliantly performed. I may not have agreed with the writers on how they chose to end the series, but Colin was great. I like the actors from Doctor Who and Sherlock also, but this year, Colin deserved to win.