Doctor Who The Eleventh Doctor's new TARDIS interior design revealed!

Published on December 26th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

Time to Meet the New TARDIS!

Whether you caught The Snowmen or not, this clip takes you straight into the amazing moment in which the new interior of the real star of Doctor Who was revealed in full!

This will be a moment to savour and enjoy, a slight replay of the similar moment from Rose, but with an enjoyable twist…

(Although, of course, if you’re spoilerphobic, look away now!)

Fantastic, isn’t it? Style, depth, hi-tech and alien, the new-look TARDIS interior is a perfect update of the all-white design from 1963, and is ana amazing testament to the supremely talented Michael Pickwoad.

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to Time to Meet the New TARDIS!

1. avatar Rick Lundeen says:

Have to disagree with you on this one, Christian. The new console room is ok but I’m underwhelmed. Especially coming off Matt’s first, what I considered to be the finest console room since the original back in ’63. This new one is high tech but I feel it’s cold, sterile, boring and frankly, a bit too 1980′s for my liking. I’ll get used to it but it’s a horrible shame that the last console room only got a little over two years use, less than half what the previous one had. Ah well. Liked pretty much everything else about the episode though.

2. avatar stephen says:

Are you kidding? It is awesome! The last one was way too big having a staircase lead up to the console itself. I like the dark mysterious room that appeared in this episode, and the entire room seemed to come alive when he activated it. It was the best so far as well as keeping it retro.

3. avatar Matt says:

The initial pictures released had me worried, but actually on screen, it was just outstanding. Already love it.

4. avatar Matthew Littledyke says:

I thought the episode was brilliant and the twist at the end is the best way to lead into the next half of series 7 as it answered a question that everyone has been asking all through the first half of the series

5. avatar TimeChaser says:

It really does feel like a more natural evolution from the original series console room. A bit smaller that the previous one though, and I will miss that large, whimsical quality of Matt’s first TARDIS, but I’m not disappointed in this new one either.

6. avatar BOJAY says:

Even in this time of Steven Moffat calling the Tardis “a machine” (watch the fires start on that one, way to go Steven!), I think that the Tardis reflects the Doctor’s state of mind. RTD tried to establish the Tardis as something “grown”, and I don’t think there need neccessarily be any contradictions here. The Doctor, since we have re-encountered him since his Ninth incarnation, has been more than a bit unstable, and in flux. The Time War has left its marks on him internally and externally. The Tardis reflects this. We don’t know what led to the Seventh Doctor’s reconfiguring the Tardis interiors as we encounter them in the TV Movie (and for the sake of sanity, let’s NOT say American Money), and even post “grown” concept we see the apparently Steam Punk/H.G. Wells Eleventh model “grow” him a new Sonic Screwdriver. This is about where he is now. A reflection of reinventing himself yet again, about “opening” himself up (The wonderful 360 shot), perhaps in a way he hasn’t before. It’s smaller, because he wants to welcome someone, as it turns out, her (Clara), and closer to how he first encountered it when he stole Her (The Tardis, there is more than an echo of the “classic” console room). He’s coming around. he wants to recapture a sense on innocence, the sense he had when he started, before he started losing people. He can’t get that back, but I think he’s becoming aware that there is now something else ahead,and he wants to explore it. Back to why he began, again, and now going to where? We’re going to find out…………

7. avatar Laurie Rea says:

The new console is inspired. The rotating sections on the ceiling sealed the deal for me. Best Tardis interior yet – never got to grips with the last Willy Wonka set.

8. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

This is my kind of console room! I didn’t mind the previous one but it wasn’t very practical to have to run up stairs to the control console if you were planning a quick dematerialisation…

9. avatar Markel1970A says:

When I saw the new Tardis’s interior I went “Hey, they got rid of the glass floor.”

10. avatar Markel1970A says:

Clara’s the most loveable companion other than K-9 in the history of Doctor Who.

I loved the scene where the Doctor pulls her out of the window and he says, “We got to get you out of these clothes.” and she gasps and he realise how perverted he sounded and he says, “I didn’t mean..” and she says, “I know.” but my favorite bit is he says, “after you.” and she says, “No, after you. I’m weari ng a skirt. Eyes forward, solider.” and he says, “My eyes arer always forward.” and she says, ” My eyes aren’t.” and she checks out his ass!

The whole Doctor-Clara friendship will be fun to watch.

11. avatar January Lost says:

As some others have said, it’s a beautiful homage to the classic series. That in and of itself has me speculating there’s a reason for that—namely the 50th anniversary. I can likely see previous Doctors (should we get them) in this room as opposed to the last version.

Personally I was only ‘okay’ with the last version, even if it reminded me of a child’s playroom. There was something really indirect about that last console room that bothered me. What’s interesting about the new one is the dark flavor mixed with the very clear call to “roots”. We see Gallifreyan symbols spread throughout the room, and the domed top is something that harkens back imaginations of the Capitol’s Citadel.

I love how the console now wraps around the time column, implying the column to be vast and exist beyond the console room. The console itself has some amazing combinations of futuristic and retro. Also really cool to see a separate control panel. The only thing I didn’t notice was a wall monitor, but it might have slipped past me in all the excitement.

The room’s size is definitely underwhelming, however it allows for a more intimate setting that’s likely necessary due to the sterility of the look. Absolutely love the dark colors and that blues are now carrying over from the outside, in. I do feel like the lighted roundels are a bit over the top… but perhaps they serve a purpose?

Looking forward to see this version of the interior getting more use, and learning what is what. I think it’s the best one since the classic series.

12. avatar Paddy says:

I think the new TARDIS is brilliant, much as I liked the last one it was a bit too much like a junk shop, a bit too busy and a bit too whimsical.

But what I really love in the clip above is not the TARDIS itself but the amazing piece of work that is that shot. A smooth camera move all the way around the ship and then through the doors and in. I think I JUST about understand how they did it, but it’ll have been one hell of a fiddly job to get it so perfect.

13. avatar Joe says:

I must agree with the positive comments.
    The previous console room looked too much like what some kids might throw together in their garage when you asked them to build you a TARDIS. I can appreciate the _concept_ of steampunk, the juvenile and re-growing Doctor, but the previous console room was just over the top. I will miss some of the scale of it (though, from a production POV I can understand it’s a bit of a waste of space and money) _and_ the glass floor (they could have kept that).
    At least the TARDIS looks now _looks_ like a time machine.

I’d like to see more of the TARDIS in future shows: when you’ve got unlimited space, you have the luxury of showing anything you want in impossible arrangements. Imagine an episode where he walks down a hall, opens a door and there’s a boring office break room (replete with old coffee/tea pot, yellowed 1980′s microwave, dented dustbin) — ‘excuse the mess’ — and right next to that room is another (maybe smaller door) that opens to the pool, or a library the size of a library, or a museum. I love the function of the console room, but I’d like to see more.

14. avatar Parallax3d says:

Frankly, I think the new console room is awesome! It’s a homage to the original console rooms from the first seven Doctors. Personally, I never liked the “coral” console room that was introduced with Chris Eccleston, and I liked the Matt Smith steampunk version even less.

15. avatar Polka dot says:

I heard that the circle patterns on the top of the Tardis are the names of all the Doctor’s companions- Thoughts or Explantation?

• avatar Kitty says:

It’s in Circular Gallifreyan!