Doctor Who News Doctor Who TARDIS Logo

Published on December 19th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

New TARDIS Interior Revealed!

After a few weeks of teasing, the BBC has today released an image of the new TARDIS interior, which fans will see on screen for the first time in The Snowmen on Christmas Day!

There is an obvious push towards the futuristic rather than eclectic design of the previous two console rooms, perhaps inspired by the fact that 2013 is the show’s 50th anniversary; the original TARDIS interior was a lesson in futurism, after all.

As Steven Moffat has said,

“When you have a genius designer like Michael Pickwoad, and an opportunity like the Tardis, you’d be mad not to bring the two together.”

Of course, you might not want to see the inside of the machine. If so, we advise you to move along; there’s nothing to see here.

The rest of you will need to scroll down the page a little.

[spoiler ]

The Eleventh Doctor's new TARDIS interior design revealed!

We think it looks grand – but what do you think? Too retro? Not futuristic enough?

Missing the coral, still?

Let us know!
[/spoiler]

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Responses to New TARDIS Interior Revealed!

1. avatar Spaceman says:

I’m afraid to say, on inital reaction without seeing it in operation on screen. I don’t like it, I preferred the original Matt had. Why the need to change it, now?
    I have the same sinking feeling when I saw the newly designed Daleks. (Well if it doesn’t go down well they can always say this design is the secondary console room.)
    But hey, that’s my personal taste. On with the adventures };-{)>

2. avatar Victor says:

It’s a litte bit underwhelming. Obviously we can’t see the whole room, or how it will play on screen, but it’s certainly not as visually arresting as the previous console room. I suppose it’s a touch more old-school. Anyway, let’s see how it looks when the new episodes arrive; it will certainly feel more ‘unnatural’ for whoever steps inside, I suppose. Less jumble shambles, more futuristic and disconcerting for someone stepping within..

3. avatar James says:

I like it, it’s a very nice design, clean lines, lit roundles (though more in the hexagonal patterning would be better) and it has a great retro-60s TARDIS feel. The colours and lighting evoke a great mood and sense of atmosphere that was frankly missing from the shiny brassy junkyard they had before. Also the console itself is so much better, far less bits of old rubbish clogging up the place, or, as Ray Cusick pointed out, RTD’s control room was ‘a dog’s breakfast’. Also that glass floor they had was murder to work on and pretty pointless.

Well done Pickwoad, good job. With this desing they’re finally letting the TARDIS be a TARDIS.

4. avatar castellanspandrel says:

Luvverly!

Not sure why they felt the need to change it anyway, but I likes it, I tells ya. Like the colours.

Will be easier to make a proper judgment when it’s onscreen.

5. avatar Jim McLean says:

Depends how it’s lit really. I have to say, design wise, I found the previous console far too visually cluttered and lacking any real classic form. In that respect, as a viewer I felt somewhat displaced, as if I was a little disorientated to my position in shots. It was eccentric, but shapes and colours lost the design. This is crisper and clearer, a nod to the classic era is a respectful homage and a good year to serve that homage.

How it’s lit will make the difference. Colour and lighting will hopefully prevent it from looking too spartan. My only concern based on those images are those ugly blue roundels. See how it looks on screen. I imagine it’ll be far more practical for the crew too.

6. avatar Solonor says:

Seems a little too Star Trek for me, but whatever. It’s hard to tell 100 percent from one photo.

7. avatar DavidF says:

It’s ace. Hope it’s as small as it looks, although those steps on either side suggest it might be part of something more spacious. The drift back towards original-run design is a nostalgic thrill and helps cement the sense of continuity.

8. avatar Matt Scooby says:

I like the blue hue to it, white a step away from the elaborate orange and gold of the previous one. I wonder what the reason for the change is, in terms of the story. Surely there must be one? They wouldn’t just change it and not mention why, surely? I’m hoping they show lots of other areas of the Tardis too. It needs to be explored much more. If the design was up to me, I would’ve gone far more stream-punk. Lots of brass, bronze, pistons and glass & metal. And have a period in Edwardian England where the Doctor frequently returns to, with perhaps a domestic address to use as a base, as in the John Pertwee era. Instead of always inexplicably returning to our “present day”.

• avatar Krumstets says:

I think your’e on to something there.
      There is reason for the change that will surely be explained , but in practical terms they need to change things around a bit to accommodate an expansion in the general Tardis set.

`Journey to the Centre of The Tardis’ I expect will involve other areas of the Tardis ( swimming pool, boot cupboard , living quarters, etc ? )

This could provide the production team with a chance to build extensions to the Tardis set that could be financed from the budget and re-used later.

Of course this is pure supposition. But that’s what I’m putting my money on…

The new design looks like a step in the right direction.

9. avatar Shadowfather says:

I think I will reserve judgment until the Christmas Special. Maybe it’s just the angle, but that photograph doesn’t show off the interior set as well as in prior years.

10. Clearly, very belatedly, joining the retro-neo-modernist trend, with obvious inspiration from the original Tardis console (in prep for the 50th anniversary, natch). The previous organic grunge look had overstayed its welcome, but this might be a bit too sterile for today’s HD screens. Still, we’ll all get used to it soon enough.

11. avatar Krumstets says:

`…It’s a change my dears , and it seems not a moment too soon….’

12. avatar Mark says:

Did the Doctor take up archery? What is with the neon archery targets. It is somewhat reminiscent of the early 1970′s TARDIS but just because it is retro doesn’t make it good. Think shag carpet…. burnt orange shag carpet, might be retro but I dare ya. I still like the 2005 and 2009 control rooms, for my money from what I can see, I can’t wait for this one to go to storage.

13. avatar Brian Egerer says:

I don’t mind the new interior, but it worries me that this means whoever blew up the TARDIS will never be revealed. I was expecting the future events of Trenzalore to give the result of the TARDIS blowing up, but if it has a different interior, I’m not sure how it will connect the two :/

14. avatar lizzy smith says:

finally, the huge phallus in the center of the control board is gone! unfortunately, does not look as “alive” as previous versions. far too tidy for any of the doctors! however, this is only one pic! we will see…