Doctor Who News Doctor Who TARDIS Logo

Published on December 25th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

Is the New Title Sequence the Best Yet?

Wow! What. A. Great. Episode! But aside from all that happened in The Snowmen (and we’ll be looking at the episode in more depth tomorrow…) we were wondering what you thought of the astonishing new Doctor Who opening titles.

This is the first of two polls concerning The Snowmen. We thought that this one particular aspect of the episode (and yes, there were many) was worthy of a poll on its own – after all, the opening titles and the TARDIS and the vortex (and specifically, the return of the Doctor’s face) are all important elements of any episode of Doctor Who.

How do you think the new title sequence compares with the others? You have three votes to choose your favourite Doctor Who opening title sequence – use them with care!

Vote in the poll above and leave any additional thoughts in the comments box below.

Tags: , , , ,

16 Responses to Is the New Title Sequence the Best Yet?

1. avatar TonyS says:

Loved the titles. Adored this arrangement of the theme tune. I’ll come back to you on the story itself…

2. avatar Krumstets says:

The opening titles were an improvement on the previous ones, and so too was the new arrangement, but still not brilliant.

3. avatar TimeChaser says:

I do think they’re an improvement from before. They feel like a more dynamic mix of the various 80s opening sequences smashed together.

4. avatar Fidofia says:

I really like the opening titles for this! I don’t really like the new arrangement as much as the old one, however. I don’t know, it just lost something that I liked. Those who attended Sydney’s Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular got to watch it first in the world. I was there. It was so epic on a massive screen. After that, Alex Kingston smiled at me! Sorry… Unrelated :(

5. avatar paul young says:

absolutely loved the new titles – especially the re-introduction of the doctors face woohoo

6. avatar Someone says:

Okay, I am slightly bemused. I came to the internet hoping to join in come conversation about how bad the titles were. And this is what I found.
    Personally I thought that the new titles were a pile of . . . excrement. In fact I found the entire episode to be pretty terrible. I’m not just saying this to try and be different or critical. I am a massive fan of the series and was really looking forward to some new titles and a new theme, as well as the Christmas Special in general. But I honestly thought the visuals were terrible, far too many disparate swirly psychedelic bits, and the new representation of the time-vortex is just awful. I didn’t find the music too bad though, which all in all was a bit of a relief!
    Still, I liked the new interior of the TARDIS – more faithful to the original design – although the crazy spinning bits in the roof could get a little annoying.

7. avatar WizFiz says:

Yet to hear the new arrangement (broadcast on Boxing Day here in Australia). But if it is an improvement on the theme from series 5 onwards, then I will be happy. I really loathed that military style march as part of the lead in to the theme with #11′s era. It set me off on the wrong foot before I even met 11. But if Murray Gold has redeemed himself from that, I will be happy :)

• avatar Itamar says:

I’m sorry to disappoint you, that lead-in is still there, however, as someone who also does not like it too much, I can tell you it actually sounds much better now than in previous series.

8. avatar David F says:

I thought the title sequence was a bit clunky and and ramshackle, as though they couldn’t decide what they were trying to do. Maybe it would have more impact if they started showing the titles at the beginning of episodes instead of five minutes in. Once we’re that far into a story, there’s no point even having credits, because we’re already deep into the narrative and fully aware of what we’re watching. The only purpose a title sequence serves is if it comes right at the start. Where it’s supposed to be.

Perhaps the new titles will grow on me. They usually do in the end.

9. avatar Peromyscus says:

I really liked the new title sequence! Finally we get something creative as we did in the classic series. There’s so much going on with the graphics moving by so fast that it just makes you want to re-watch it a few times. Seeing The Doctor’s face, but not fully rezzing in, adds a nice touch, that signifies the mystery of “Doctor Who”. Also goodbye to that boring cloud vortex. ;-D

10. avatar stlshawn says:

liked the titles.

11. avatar Gavin Noble says:

Liked the titles but not so keen on the new music arrangement.

12. avatar Ian says:

What I liked about the new tittles were the Doctors face appearing, tune isn’t much different, but ok and towards the end is like Tom Bakers titles. Rest is a mess, looks like fireworks going off. Also thought some of it were like Sylvester Mcoys’ titles.

13. avatar Dave says:

I’ve never been a fan of the bombastic symphonic title themes in the new series, but each one seems to be getting a little more electronic, so I welcome that. Nothing can beat the classic, murky themes from the 60s and 70s though, those still sound brilliant today… until the 80s spoiled things.

Most people seem to agree on the retro feel of the graphics, so whether they blow you away or leave you feeling slightly sick, they at least feel fitting for the 50th anniversary year as a mix of new and old.

14. avatar Jon says:

New visuals are great, and ironically by trying to be derivative, they come across as less derivative than just showing a vortex again. But the music’s getting worse – would love to see the new titles but with the Delia theme…

15. avatar Cedders says:

The new titles might be considered a bit “busy” and confused, but I thought they were exciting and pretty. So that’s all good. It’s clearly devised for the anniversary year, with mysterious glimpses of Who, continuous with the last eight years but references back, I thought, to the first and third Doctor titles and the TVM. Meanwhile the new theme mix nicely sampled Peter Howell and Dominic Glynn’s arrangements from the 1980s. My favourite theme/title combination remains the Bernard Lodge version done from scratch in the last year of Jon Pertwee, and we still don’t have enough Delia Derbyshire in the music mix – it probably just wouldn’t go with the Murray Gold brass.