Doctor Who News Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Tom Baker, Paul McGann and Peter Davison at Collectormania

Published on December 8th, 2012 | by Meredith Burdett

Are Former Stars Prepared for a 50th Anniversary Snub?

While we’re all getting very excited about the plans for Doctor Who’s fiftieth anniversary next year we may have to consider the possibility that when the anniversary special is broadcast, it may not contain as many blasts to the past as some of us may have hoped for.

Fans worldwide have been waiting with bated breath for announcements from the Doctor Who production team regarding any guest appearances from past Doctors, with special focus on actors who played the role before it returned to television in 2005.

But so far none of the past Doctors, including Paul McGann, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Peter Davison or Tom Baker have been asked and if they have, then they’ve been sworn to secrecy and they’re doing a great job of deceiving the general public. Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant have been slightly more cryptic with their answers of late so the possibility may be that the anniversary special will just contain Doctors nine through to eleven, which would certainly be no bad thing at all.

The Daily Star, a red top tabloid newspaper in Britain, quoted Colin Baker saying:

“I think the BBC view will be they don’t need us old ones.”

But that can hardly be true considering all the effort that they put into making the five minute 2007 special Time Crash which featured Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor.

The next few months will start to reveal facts about next year’s anniversary episode but there might be a chance that we’re treated to three Doctors rather than eight.

Would that make you angry?

(Via STV).

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

24 Responses to Are Former Stars Prepared for a 50th Anniversary Snub?

1. Ryan Hall via Facebook says:

Mcgann’s gonna be there, its a cert, DWM wouldnt have him on the front cover any other time for a big finish, he was on that to jog the publics memory .

2. Andrew says:

I’m sure they will do something to honour them all. Ether mini episodes like we had with the TARDISODES in for series 2, or the Pond Life from this year. Perhaps not an 11 Doctors, but at least cameo appearances. Star Trek did well to bring back Leonard Nimoy in 2009, so surely Doctor Who can do the same.

3. Christian-Mark David Cawley via Facebook says:

That’s one way of looking at it. I’ve got a completely different one though ;)

4. 8, 9, 10 and 11 in a story about the Time War and the aftermath where we get to see 8 regenerate into 9. At least, that’s the story I’d like to see but I have a vanishingly small chance of getting what I want! ;-)

5. BOJAY says:

I would hope for at least an appearance by the Eighth Doctor Paul McGann, as he has brought so much to the world of Doctor Who, despite only one television appearance. His Big Finish contributions are incredible, and he’s the only pre 2005 Doctor who could plausibly carry off an appearance. We shall see…………

6. Krumstets says:

Not seeing them all wouldn’t make me angry , just sorely disappointed.

I prefer to be a lot more optimistic . They are all going to be in it and they are all acting their socks off right now in denying it.

7. Spaceman says:

I dearly would love to see all the Doctors back, but if it has to be a few Doctors for story telling purposes whatever, then I’d like to see McGann; Eccleston; Tennant and Smith The Four Doctors!! The one tv story they haven’t done… };-{)>
    Paul has been great, for considering he only had one tv episode and I’m glad that the BBC has acknowledged him officially in the new series… So yeah, let’s see the 8th Doc (and yes in his new attire).

8. Drew says:

If there aren’t SOME KIND (at this point, with no news, I might even be happy if they had to play different characters) of appearances by the former Doctors, yes, I’ll be angry.

9. Gareth Kavanagh says:

I think we’re looking at a modern day three doctors, with the contemporary leads back for a thrilling adventure. Which, for the mainstream viewers would be total event television

10. leo says:

I think if it is only Doctor’s 9-11 then I would be slightly angry (I see no reason not to include PM and that would grate on me if it is based on how they all now look) but if instead if we get Amy, Rory the increasingly annoying and River back for it in some Moffat centric plot/arc then I wont be happy at all.

The show’s huge long running success is a sum of many part’s not just certain aspects.

On a side note, I hope there is some reference during the celebration period that the TARGET book range get’s some recognition, given how big and important it was during the 1970′s.

11. There are so many rumours and counter-rumours and “on good authority” announcements, and back-stabbing guessing I’ll wait to the anniversary serial. That said, if the former Doctors are free and willing, let’s hope the opportunity isn’t wasted. I’ve had my criticisms of the Moff, I hope he proves me wrong.

12. Ian says:

I would be angry. Moffat is supposed to be a fan and he should know then fans want the old Doctors back. Its a once in a life time opportunity to bring them back. They could easily write in an explanation as why they look older, as they did in Time Crash.
    Bring back the Doctors don’t hesitate!!

• Krumstets says:

.“.Doctor In Distress, lets all answer his S.O.S….”

• Chickenhead says:

Yeah he’s a “Fan” who dislikes the Master, continues the trend of hating the Time Lords, and for no good reason is bringing back Rose bloody Tyler again for the 50th instead of someone…ANYONE…more substantial. How about Romana? Oh that’s right…she’s a Time Lord and we’re all supposed to “hate” the Time Lords in the post-2005 show.

13. David F says:

Moffat’s only responsibility to is to tell really good stories. If the stories that grow in his head don’t involve old Doctors, then so be it. The alternative is ending up with the give-the-fans-what-they-want undisciplined mess of The Five Doctors.

A man meeting versions of himself is, dramatically, less interesting than his dealing with other people. One of the problems of The Three Doctors, The FIve Doctors and The Two Doctors is they undermined the sense that he is a single person. It would be far more powerful to have him dealing with former companions or enemies or long unresolved story lines.

I hope old Doctors do feature, but only if they serve the story. Moffat is just as big a fan as any of us, but if he tries to please everyone he’ll please no one, and if he bows to demands for token casting, he’ll screw up the story. We should just let him get on with it.

14. Rick Lundeen says:

It’s impossible to please all the fans on the best of days–even most of them. This whole anniversary is an exercise is “I want this” and “I want that”, so pretty much everyone will have some problem with some or several aspects of it. I think it would be everyone’s best interests to start thinking small and be pleasantly surprised—and wouldn’t that be great? To watch a show and be pleasantly surprised?

15. Joseph says:

I thought I heard Colin say something similar to this a while back, and changed his mind later. I might be wrong, but it does sound familiar.

16. daniel clements says:

doesnt make me angry. The chief thing is the story. And i think any story would struggle with 8 leading actors…

17. James says:

McCoy and McGann look as though they could appear in a special, not too old to do it but maybe the answer to getting all the doctors together again is a CGI animated special. There have been various cartoon animations done since the new series kicked off in 2005 and an animation with Matt Smith is long overdue, after all Tennant had two whilst he was Dr Who, so why not an animation with Smith and all the surviving Doctos doing voice overs?

(PS while we’re at it can we have Mondas back?)

18. CKSegee says:

I will be very angry if they don’t do something with Paul McGann. I think Moffat should listen to his fans. This is the 50th anniversary, not the 8th anniversary of the new series. Paul should get more time on screen as he was fantastic and this would be the perfect time to do this. I would rather see a weaker story with all the doctors than a fantastic one with only 9 – 11.

19. Samuel says:

I think all the doctors should appear in 11′s mind and give him some comedic advice on doing what he needs to do to save the galaxy from the Master, Daleks, and/or Weeping Angels, etc.

20. Hotbeef says:

Honestly, this is either the biggest surprise ever, or Moffat just pulled his pants down and dropped a deuce on all of us. I’m beginning to think it’s the latter. You have actors who want to participate and they’re not even getting called. You have Ecclestone, who allegedly has been called but declined. I’m sure he took a look at what Moffat has planned and said he didn’t want to be a part of any clownshow. This is just stupid.

21. Chickenhead says:

I could tolerate an anniversary episode with just Smith and Tennant (although it would be lacking without Eccleston). What I cannot tolerate is more Rose bloody Tyler in the mix. I for one do NOT look forward to seeing the Rose Tyler/10 show stinking up the screen again with more angsty teenaged boyfriend/girlfriend crap. If we can only get 10 and 11 on screen then FINE…can we do it without the added distraction of “co-Doctor” Rose Tyler? I’m sure true to form the Doctors will be in trouble and “Rose will save the day.”

22. Andrew Dorgomire says:

Meta-crisis Ten would be fine for me. I also REFUSE to see the 50th without Paul McGann. That would be a cheap shot. He had only one TV appearance, and if he did take part in the anniversary, he could win over the audience with his personality. If this went well, he could make a name for himself and there’d be a plug for the Eighth Doctor to have a series of his own!