Published on November 8th, 2012 | by Meredith Burdett1
Matt Smith Teases 50th Anniversary, Live Events
During last weekend’s Comic-Con in London, certain guests were lucky enough chat with Doctor Who star Matt Smith in an intimate round the table interview session to gain cryptic hints for what we might be lucky enough to get during the show’s fiftieth anniversary.
The full interview transcript can be read by clicking the link at the bottom of this article (which also includes an audio version as well) but we’ll indulge you with some of the bite size bits from the chat.
Here’s a list of interesting titbits that you may find fascinating:
- Neil Gaiman’s 2013 episode of Doctor Who is “brilliantly reinventive”.
- The 2012 Christmas special will contain “snow, good will, good cheer, aliens and someone trying to take over the world”. It will also feature the return of Sontaran nurse, Strax, as well as Silurian crime fighter Vastra and her companion/girlfriend Jenny.
- The fiftieth anniversary plans should see the biggest year of the show ever, “on a global scale hopefully”.
- Smith thinks that “we’ll obviously make a 50th anniversary episode special, and then they’ll be all sorts of live events, I would’ve thought, that surround that”.
- Smith had to wear special pants when riding the triceratops in Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.
- Whilst filming Doctor Who recently, Matt had to “go into something the other day… Let’s just say that it changes my… appearance somewhat”.
I think it was a huge, brilliant climax to what I think are two of the best companions in recent history, really. It was sad to see them go, but the show is the star and the show goes on and it will go on without every single one of us. Without me, without Steven [Moffat], without any of us, it will still be going. So you crack on with it, really.
And when he’s inevitably asked about how long he’ll play the Doctor for, he jokingly replies:
These are only some of the interesting things you learn from the interview; for the full Monty visit Collider!