Doctor Who The Master becomes Prime Minister of Great Britain

Published on October 23rd, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

The Dark Master?

He hasn’t been seen since The End of Time, Part 2, but John Simm reckons it’s time for the Master to return to Doctor Who – with added darkness…

Speaking at the Cheltenham Literature Festival last week, Simm recalled that his interpretation of the Doctor’s Time Lord nemesis was very much influenced by Russell T Davies’ vision of the character.

“I started annoying myself after a while. Russell T Davies had a specific idea of what he wanted him to be like. So I just had to do exactly what he wanted me to, and he wanted a giggling lunatic.”

“I’d love the opportunity to play him differently. I’d love to have another take on him, to be a bit quieter.”

As for how this might happen, Simm referred to Steven Moffat, observing that:

“I’m sure his take on him would be different so I’d be interested to have a look at it. I’d like to take the Master to a very, very dark place.”

We’d love to see the Master return to Doctor Who, and if John Simm is allowed to offer his own interpretation then this would be even better. Simm is a great actor with some superb performances under his belt (see Cracker: Best Boys, The Lakes, State of Play, Life on Mars and Exile for the best examples on TV, or catch him on stage) and an appearance from the Master is surely overdue by now…

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to The Dark Master?

1. avatar James says:

Better to re-cast, all that Davies’ stuff is best forgotten.

2. avatar Rick Lundeen says:

New Doctor, new Master. I think Cumberbatch would be a fantastic Master. He’d make a great Doctor but since he doesn’t want to go that route, I think the Master would be perfect for him. Plus, you don’t want to go the Ainley route where he appeared with 4 different Doctors—actually all the first 7 if you include “The Five Doctors” but I think he wore out his welcome.

3. avatar Colin McDonough says:

Would like to see Simm get a chance to put his own spin on the Master. Five episodes in five years is hardly ubiquitous a la Ainley. Perhaps he is being held in reserve for the Trenzalore episode , whenever that will be.

4. avatar Barb says:

While I adore Simms, his Master was just way over the top (more so than Ainley’s).

I would have loved to see an incarnation similar to Delgado’s who is still the best Master of all the actors portraying the character.

5. avatar Philip Bates says:

I’d love to see John Simm return: he’s one of my favourite actors, and, though I had problems with how RTD showed the Master, I think Simm did a brilliant job.

Oh, and was I the only one who quite liked the blonde hair…?

6. avatar AJ says:

Bear in mind, that in his last appearance, the drumming problem was solved. Assuming that’s what drove him mad and making him more manic then that does leave the character room to return with a more subdued performance.

7. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

I think Richard E Grant could be a new incarnation at Christmas….whatever the case I suspect the Master is due a comeback due to his namechecking in A Town Called Mercy. Considering Amy had never met Gallifrey’s number one bad boy, he was surely only referenced for the audience’s benefit…as a prelude for a Yuletide return?