Doctor Who News Rory

Published on October 12th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

P.S. I’m Crying

As we told you yesterday, the BBC’s official Doctor Who website has released a special short film, P.S., in which Brian Williams receives a letter from Rory, a little after he last saw his son and daughter in law head into the TARDIS.

Written by Chris Chibnall and featuring the voice of Arthur Darvill as Rory, the film makes use of storyboard images and captions to great effect.

And it’s right here:

Anyone else crying? Damn you, Chibnall.

Tags: , , , ,

11 Responses to P.S. I’m Crying

1. avatar Solonor says:

I got more teary-eyed for that than I did for the episode!

• avatar Marcus says:

I agree with this – that had an emotional resonance that was dearly lacking from the episode itself. Well done to Chris Chibnall – but why didn’t the Moff manage it? Most odd!

2. avatar tommyscot says:

I always feel that in any real Doctor-world our hero would be deeply affected by the loss of his companions that should echo in the episodes following. The Eleventh should be seen dealing with the absence of his friends and so be distracting himself in new adventures. What of their belongings? Remember Ten glancing in sorrow at Rose’s denim jacket, left where she’d thrown it over over the handrail by the TARDIS door.
    This is the truth of the lonely god, outliving his companions but feeling their loss in such a human way.
    Moffat tends to be happy to leave these things unsaid. I can live with that.

3. avatar Shadowfather says:

I’m actually surprised they didn’t film this scene, but I suppose they didn’t want to produce both of them. If they had, however, it would’ve been a nice addition to the DVD/Blu-Ray as an Easter Egg.

4. avatar Rick Lundeen says:

Yeah, that got me more than the episode. Hell, they should still film it. Maybe to end the season.

5. avatar BOJAY says:

Wow. I mean, absolutely, WOW…………..

6. avatar Derek Browell says:

What has made this series better than it ever was,with occasional small Hartnell exceptions is the depth of human relationships in the writing. Forget C.G.I. or expensive sets, this extra deleted part makes me look forward to the 50th with great excitement….”I’m sorry it took me so long to return Susan…..”

7. avatar francis cave says:

Blimey, that was moving…

Chris Chibnall’s writing has seriously impressed me this year and I thought I would never say that!

8. avatar TimeChaser says:

I was drying my eyes by the time the video ended. I think if they had included this scene in the actual episode, it would have helped.

9. avatar castellanspandrel says:

For UK fans of a certain age: I couldn’t listen to this without being reminded of Simon Bates’s/Radio 1′s ‘Our Tune’!

• Of course! Rory’s voiceover was very Simon Bates-esque. I’m not sure if Arthur should be proud or not…