Doctor Who News Who is Ashley Walters?

Published on October 22nd, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS?

How’s that for an exciting, spoiler-filled episode title? Don’t point the finger, this is merely a suggestion by the Radio Times as part of their interview with So Solid Crew’s “Asher D” Ashley Walters, who appears in the episode.

Who is Ashley Walters?

Walters – who also starred in the True Love series alongside David Tennant, Billie Piper and David Morrissey earlier this year – confessed in September that he had already said too much and that  the “Doctor Who police” were onto him.

Speaking to RadioTimes.com, Walters recalled the incident.

“I nearly got sacked on my first day because they’re really strict about it. I was in my costume lying down on the sofa and I just tweeted a photo with the word ‘space’ – I didn’t say anything else. Five minutes later I had execs knocking on my door saying, ‘what are you doing?’ And then I realised there were signs everywhere saying ‘don’t tweet’.”

Most importantly, of course, is the headline. What’s going on? Is it even an episode title at all (and let’s face it, it’s as slutty as the Moff claims to like them)?

“You can’t beat being in Doctor Who – it’s something I’ve grown up with my whole life and working with Matt Smith was amazing. He’s a really, really good actor and just being a part of that huge BBC franchise was an incredible thing. And Jenna Louise Coleman is really good at what she does – it seems like she’s enjoying her job and I loved working with her.

“…in our episode it’ll be the first time people get to see so much of the Tardis [SIC].”

Could it be the moment that we’ve been waiting for since Rose (or arguably The Doctor’s Wife)? And just why is a former rapper wandering so deeply into the TARDIS with the Doctor and a companion that no one can quite get their head around yet?

Perplexing, isn’t it…?

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS?

1. avatar Finlay says:

Where’s my credit?

2. avatar Rick Lundeen says:

A trip through the Tardis interior would be great, just hope it’s better than the truncated version in “The Doctor’s Wife”. I want something closer to “Invasion of Time” at least.

3. avatar James says:

Give us Narnia not the wardrobe. When will we get an alien planet again?

4. avatar BOJAY says:

I am inclined to agree. Some episodes set well away from earth, some genuinely alien environments, would be nice.

5. avatar Joseph says:

Funny, considering the Doctor’s comment in ‘Castrovalva’ that there was an evil force at the center of the TARDIS, and they did intend to make than an episode before it was shelved, it looks like they’re finally revisiting this nearly 30 year old plot thread. Should be interesting at the very least.

6. avatar Tom Campbell says:

I for one hope they do some location shots for the interior of the TARDIS along the lines of what they did during the Tom Baker era (the pool, infirmary, the Cloisters, and level after level of industrial space) intermixed with recreations of the classic series stage sets. When they used only interior sets on “The Doctor’s Wife” episode, with Amy & Rory wandering through the maze of nondescript hexagonal corridors, the TARDIS seemed so cramped and confined, not the infinite expanse of wonder portrayed in the classic series. I’d also really love to see pre-2005 props original or recreated, like the concentrated food dispenser with the big, clunky lucite dials and the long, glossy white wall studded with tiny blinking lights and push buttons supposed to be part of the TARDIS’ super computer mind – all those things that seemed so “futuristic” in the William Hartnell years. Perhaps pass through a workshop with various bits of gadgets & tech from different periods of the show, maybe a few K-9 parts left over from the time David Tennant’s Doctor repaired his old friend for Sarah Jane Smith. It would be like a visit to the Doctor Who Experience museum in Cardiff for Whovians all over the world who can’t afford to travel there.