Doctor Who News Neil Gaiman slated for second Doctor Who episode!

Published on October 17th, 2012 | by Andrew Reynolds

Neil Gaiman Confirmed for Series 7!

Rejoice Whovians!

Its official! Award Winning fantasist Neil Gaiman is writing a new episode of Doctor Who!

Neil Gaiman slated for second Doctor Who episode!While its hardly been a secret since Gaiman let slip that he was working on another episode during his Hugo Award winning acceptance speech for his first, The Doctor’s Wife – his name has now been added to the official list of writers for the second half of Series 7, reports BBC America.

As revealed in this month’s Doctor Who Magazine, Gaiman will be joining fellow writers Neil Cross (Luther), Doctor Who returnees Mark Gatiss and Stephen Thompson and, of course, Steven Moffat in completing the remaining episodes of the season.

Here’s the list in full:

1) 706. Written by Steven Moffat. Directed by Colm McCarthy. (Filming now)

2) 707. Written by Neil Cross. Directed by Farren Blackburn. (Not filmed)

3) 708. Written by Mark Gatiss. Directed by Douglas Mackinnon. (Filmed)

4) 709. Written by Neil Cross. Directed by Jamie Payne. (Filmed)

5) 710. Written by Stephen Thompson. Directed by Mat King. (Filmed)

6) 711. Written by Mark Gatiss. Directed by Saul Metzstein. (Filmed)

7) 712. Written by Neil Gaiman. Directed by Stephen Wolfenden. (Not filmed)

8) 713. Written by Steven Moffat. Directed by TBA. (Not filmed)

Exciting stuff, I think you’ll agree!

Tags: , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Neil Gaiman Confirmed for Series 7!

1. avatar Chris Martin says:

I thought 14 episodes had been commissioned for series 7. The list above suggests an episode less…unless I am being really thick?

• avatar Gavin Noble says:

Is the Christmas Special included in that list above? It is often treated separately to a main series in terms of its production code isn’t it?

• avatar Philip Bates says:

No, the Christmas ep isn’t included there. :)

• avatar Gavin Noble says:

Then that’s 14 episodes then! Problem solved Chris!

2. avatar Gavin Noble says:

Am I only the person then who thought The Doctor’s Wife was fanwank crap of the worst kind?

• avatar Derooftrouser says:

Nope. What sort of dullard gets to write an episode of Doctor Who and makes it about Doctor Who?

• avatar Ed Johnson says:

Yes, Gavin…you are the only one who feels the fanwank (wishful thinking, perhaps). Whatever you thought of THE DOCTOR’S WIFE, it will always be better than that drivel that was VICTORY OF THE DALEKS.

• avatar Gavin Noble says:

Not going to disagree about Victory of the Daleks – but even then the only bit I really hate about that story is the redesigned Daleks, which are basically Power Ranger Daleks!

• avatar Philip Bates says:

Yes, I agree with you, Gavin!

About The Doctor’s Wife, that is. I like the new Daleks.

The dialogue and everything was good in The Doctor’s Wife, I felt, but I just didn’t like the main concept. Suddenly, it was a revelation to many that the TARDIS is alive! Eh?! It was hinted that it was right back in 1963 – then, I seem to recall, stated in The Edge of Destruction!

The whole thing stunk of fan fiction, I’m afraid.

BUT! I must say that I’m looking forward to Gaiman’s new ep. I do think he’s a good writer; with The Doctor’s Wife, I just didn’t like the idea of it. This one, I hope, will sit better with me.

• avatar Matt says:

It was hinted at way back in 1963? Well that’s exactly why it came as something new and interesting to most of the audience watching. Most of the audience aren’t hardcore fans, I’m afraid, and obviously don’t know the ins and outs of Who history.

I am a long time fan, and personally loved the idea of exploring that long hinted at notion a little more.

• avatar Philip Bates says:

Oh, and I joined the show in 2005, so learnt the TARDIS is alive in Boom Town, then in The Parrting of the Ways.

But I can see where you’re coming from, Matt. :)

• avatar Gavin Noble says:

Totally agree with you about Neil Gaiman Philip. He’s a very good writer but his Who episode didn’t work for me. I thought it was just far too self-indulgent. It didn’t connect to me at all. The best moment in the episode was Rory’s quip about not wanting bunk beds in their room!

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Nope, but definately in the vast majority.

3. avatar daniel says:

Gavin Noble…Yes you are

4. avatar daniel says:

i notice only 5 out of 14 for the Moff. Wonder if he is giving himself time to write for a few specials later in the year.

Though thinking out loud…maybe 2 for him and 1 for Gatiss…

5. avatar TonyS says:

I thought “The Doctor’s Wife” one of the better episodes last year. Unfortunately, that was against some pretty poor competition and I consider it to be below what I would expect from Neil Gaiman.

I am hoping that we will get the rest of the season in the New Year rather than have to wait for Spring.

6. avatar daniel says:

hey Castellan Spandrel…to quote Shaggy…it wasnt me!