Doctor Who News Matt Smith, Arthur Darvill and Karen Gillan in Doctor Who: The Power of Three

Published on September 22nd, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

What Say You to The Power of Three?

Matt Smith, Arthur Darvill and Karen Gillan in Doctor Who: The Power of Three

It’s been, and now it’s gone! Tonight’s Doctor Who shared the tale of an unusual, year-long invasion in which people were fooled by a lot of cubes.

On paper, it reads like a bit of nonsense, but how did you find the latest episode? The Power of Three is the penultimate appearance of the Ponds – did you find that this informed your enjoyment of the story, or denigrated it? And what about the return of UNIT?

Our own review will be up this weekend but in the meantime, tell us what you thought!

12 Responses to What Say You to The Power of Three?

1. The Vodka Yeti says:

Disappointed, as I’ve loved all Chris Chibnall’s DW stories so far, but this was a very weak episode, possibly the weakest of the Matt Smith era so far. 4/10.

2. DavidF says:

It was a very solid episode. It felt fresh, yet harked back to previous eras. The resolution was rather sudden, but — if I may disagree with the Vodka Yeti — I thought it was comfortably Chibnall best-executed Doctor Who script, and several leagues above the weakest Smith episodes.

Berkoff’s character must return. It was a triumph of design and performance, and it was disappointing he was “never really there”.

(And I thought the Brigadier married Mrs Brigadier quite late in life? Maybe he had a previous marriage he never mentioned. I suppose Old Who was never really big on back story.)

3. TonyS says:

Kate Stewart= Kate Lethbridge-Stewart. This is my “told-you-so” moment. Not sure about the episode. I need to watch it again.

4. Marcus says:

I thought it was weak. The overuse of BBC news presenter footage and rubbish camera shots of UNIT soldiers really felt like a bad David Tennant episode (like the Atmos gas fiasco). Talking about worldwide threats and showing the odd shot of India, France etc is getting tired. After three weeks of blockbuster brilliance I guess we were due for something cheap, but the script was poor too.
    In fact, now I think about it, it was almost a re-run of the atmos gas episode – did Chibnall write that too?

5. castellanspandrel says:

Atmos/Sontaran Stratagem was by Helen Raynor.

The Brig’s marriage(s) – I agree he must’ve married Doris later in life for 2 reasons:

-Kate is no spring chicken

-He appeared to be living alone in Mawdryn Undead. If he was living with Doris at that time, surely she’d have been sharing his accomodation at Brendon School with him?

Therefore, I imagine the Mawdryn Brig was in a gap between 2 marriages, with Kate being born to a woman he was with before Doris.

6. sharazkapel77 says:

I think it was a great episode, and it’s been a while since we had an alien invasion story of the type pioneere by The Invasion.
    One thing that did annoy me, though, was I’m pretty sure that Artron Energy isn’t something you can detect.

• RE: Artron Energy: The Christmas Invasion would like a word with you… :D

7. Tim Cole says:

I thought the first two-thirds was thoroughly entertaining and I pray that Jemma Redgrave is up for repeating her role – a River Song frequency regular for the next era. The ending was very poor though. I find it depressing that the sonic screwdriver seems to be the answer to every problem. It all came over as though they had made an episode of 60 minutes and then had to cut it to 45.

Truth be told, all this is a build up to the Ponds’ farewell. The Angels Take Manhattan had better be worth th build-up.

For anyone who doesn’t know, Kate Lethbridge-Stewart first appeared in the 1995 direct to video production Downtime, and is the daughter of The Brig and his first wife Fiona. There she was played by Beverley Cressman. The role was reprised for Daemos Rising.

His relationship with Doris is first mentioned in Planet Of The Spiders, so his first marriage is likely to have ended by then (?!). Jemma Redgrave is 47 and The Brig was already a Colonel by The Web Of Fear in 1968, so if you merge real life with the Whoniverse, it would be quite reasonable for him to have a daughter aged 3 at that point.

8. barry whysall says:

sorry never rated chris chibnall storyswhy was he given

9. barry whysall says:

was he given two storys to write bring back paul cornell or is steven scared of the talent of cornells writing

10. James says:

As Christian says above, ‘it’s been and now it’s gone’. This is the trouble with Moffat’s Who, it’s too brief and tries to do too much spurious comedy, relationships, wasting time deliberately (this week’s preferred choice) and generally devoting only the barest time to actually solving the alien crisis which, when looked at despite the effects, proved to be: all a bit pointless really. The show can’t make a deep impression with such light-weight fare. They desperately need either 2-parters or (my preferred option) to jetison all the unnecessary sillyness. The endless angst over the boring lives of the Ponds makes me wish they were gone already. Why anyone with all of time and space to enjoy would bother with them defies credibility.

11. Drew says:

Loved the first 2/3 of the episode–at one point my wife actually said “Wow, this is really good!” The way it was tied up with two waves of the sonic screwdriver was an UNBELIEVABLE LETDOWN. Totally ruined the episode–I literally exclaimed “That was IT?!” A brilliant suspenseful fun build-up with absolutely no payoff whatsoever. Basically the episode’s only aim was to introduce Kate and the bad guy…?!!